LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

Smith labled a "choke" QB.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Reckless:
On First take they were discussing The Saints/Falcons game and the fact they consider Ryan's 3 picks "choke throws".

The 1st and 10 crew said there are few QB's like that in the NFL, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, and to an extent, McNabb...

Then for whatever reason they brought up Smith saying in the both games he played he had "choke throws".

I don't know about the rest of the zone, but I don't see Smith as a choke artist.

The Seattle game in '06, then the opener in '07. Plus the chance to really play a full season to show more.

That last second pick in the Houston game would fall under the "choke" category. YES, there were other factors the lead up to and had part in it happening. But the bottom line is Smith threw it where the defender could get to it. That's on him.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
you know who choked a lot in the 4th qtr? RATTAY

And O'Sullivan... we would have made the playoffs last year had he not blew at least 3 games all by himself....
  • TFSP
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by Reckless:
On First take they were discussing The Saints/Falcons game and the fact they consider Ryan's 3 picks "choke throws".

The 1st and 10 crew said there are few QB's like that in the NFL, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, and to an extent, McNabb...

Then for whatever reason they brought up Smith saying in the both games he played he had "choke throws".

I don't know about the rest of the zone, but I don't see Smith as a choke artist.

The Seattle game in '06, then the opener in '07. Plus the chance to really play a full season to show more.

That last second pick in the Houston game would fall under the "choke" category. YES, there were other factors the lead up to and had part in it happening. But the bottom line is Smith threw it where the defender could get to it. That's on him.

Smitty kept you on the edge of your seat that ENTIRE 2nd half. Uh his first game back in 2 years. Naw, that last pick was just a bad read, not a choke.

[ Edited by TFSP on Nov 4, 2009 at 12:04:22 ]
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
you know who choked a lot in the 4th qtr? RATTAY

And O'Sullivan... we would have made the playoffs last year had he not blew at least 3 games all by himself....

yea but O'Sullivan would choke in the 1rst, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters
He's not a choke QB but he made some major "choke" throws in that last drive against the Colts.

He missed WIDE open guys twice that would have moved the chains and those were vital.

Look Smith apologists: He's playing very well but he hasn't come through yet. He probably will sooner or later but he MUST fix the accuracy issues.
Originally posted by Joecool:
He's not a choke QB but he made some major "choke" throws in that last drive against the Colts.

He missed WIDE open guys twice that would have moved the chains and those were vital.

Look Smith apologists: He's playing very well but he hasn't come through yet. He probably will sooner or later but he MUST fix the accuracy issues.

I agree that he missed some throws on that last drive, but one also has to consider that his line completely fell apart at that same time. He had virtually no time to follow any kind of progression. Now, I have been critical of Alex (both QBs) in the past but I really don’t think that all falls on him. When he had any time at all, he was pretty accurate most of the game which was a pleasant surprise to me.
we'll see how smart they are when he chokes out the titans this weekend...
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:

I agree that he missed some throws on that last drive, but one also has to consider that his line completely fell apart at that same time. He had virtually no time to follow any kind of progression. Now, I have been critical of Alex (both QBs) in the past but I really don’t think that all falls on him. When he had any time at all, he was pretty accurate most of the game which was a pleasant surprise to me.

Since he saw the open receiver, stepped forward and made the throw, shouldn't that be enough time? His problem was he sailed it over the receivers head where one should have been an INT. He did have the time.

Look, he's going to get that straightened out, but we also have to call it like we see it and he was in prime position to win that game for us.

Since he saw the open receiver, stepped forward and made the throw, shouldn't that be enough time? His problem was he sailed it over the receivers head where one should have been an INT. He did have the time.

Look, he's going to get that straightened out, but we also have to call it like we see it and he was in prime position to win that game for us.

I am not saying that he was not to blame. I said that I agreed that he missed some throws. For that I agree, he has his share of the blame, I am just pointing out that, specifically on that last drive, the blame should be shared by the entire offense. The entire offensive unit was struggling from the line to QB to the receivers. This is something that I agree will improve with time. With more chemistry as an offensive unit they should be able to handle the pressure and better pull off the W.

I have to say that it is good to actually believe that things are going to get better.

I am not saying that he was not to blame. I said that I agreed that he missed some throws. For that I agree, he has his share of the blame, I am just pointing out that, specifically on that last drive, the blame should be shared by the entire offense. The entire offensive unit was struggling from the line to QB to the receivers. This is something that I agree will improve with time. With more chemistry as an offensive unit they should be able to handle the pressure and better pull off the W.

I have to say that it is good to actually believe that things are going to get better.

I think he's going to be much better. Of course, he's going to have that crap egg game soon, but he's going to get much better.

What I can't understand is that we thought our running game was being clogged up due to no respect for the deep ball and a crowded box. One would think Alex spread it enough to back the defense up. Having said that, a lot of screen passes were also called and not once did we let one fly 50 yards down field. There was a lot of man coverage and some times, Sanders looked to key specifically on Gore. Man, could we have used that to our advantage.

I think he's going to be much better. Of course, he's going to have that crap egg game soon, but he's going to get much better.

What I can't understand is that we thought our running game was being clogged up due to no respect for the deep ball and a crowded box. One would think Alex spread it enough to back the defense up. Having said that, a lot of screen passes were also called and not once did we let one fly 50 yards down field. There was a lot of man coverage and some times, Sanders looked to key specifically on Gore. Man, could we have used that to our advantage.

I find it kind of funny how not but a few weeks ago, you were Alex’s biggest critic but now things have gone 180. I am not saying that as a knock, it is just funny how fickle we fans can be.

Anyway, I agree that the offense missed out on some great opportunities. Your right we were very predictable and did not take advantage of them like we could have. I am not an expert by any means but I was very surprised how little if ever the play action was run, as you said lack attempts going deep, and how little we opened things up. I guess that will come with time.
The same completion opportunities were there in the end, that he was making earlier; but missed when it counted most. To me, that is the very definition of a choke artist.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Alex Smith has something like 30-33 starts under his belt right?(I could be wrong but not by much)
And I believe he has never ended a game on a TD pass?(I could be wrong but not by much)

In the NFL that I tune into every Sunday, that certainly does not help your cause in not being looked at as a choke artist.
Originally posted by danimal:
The same completion opportunities were there in the end, that he was making earlier; but missed when it counted most. To me, that is the very definition of a choke artist.

Alex Smith has something like 30-33 starts under his belt right?(I could be wrong but not by much)
And I believe he has never ended a game on a TD pass?(I could be wrong but not by much)

In the NFL that I tune into every Sunday, that certainly does not help your cause in not being looked at as a choke artist.

Can you really blame the guy for WR's dropping passes and the OLine giving up a sack to a 3 man rush for the second week in a row?
Originally posted by danimal:

I may be getting oldstimers disease but I believe that you are wrong, if my memory serves me correctly, in 2007 he led the team from behind on the final drive against the Cards to win the game. It seems to me that the 2 min offense was the one area where he was strong. I could be wrong.

I find it kind of funny how not but a few weeks ago, you were Alex’s biggest critic but now things have gone 180. I am not saying that as a knock, it is just funny how fickle we fans can be.

Anyway, I agree that the offense missed out on some great opportunities. Your right we were very predictable and did not take advantage of them like we could have. I am not an expert by any means but I was very surprised how little if ever the play action was run, as you said lack attempts going deep, and how little we opened things up. I guess that will come with time.

I have always fully supported whoever is starting unless they begin to suck or show little signs of NFL ability.
Share 49ersWebzone