LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

Smith labled a "choke" QB.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
On First take they were discussing The Saints/Falcons game and the fact they consider Ryan's 3 picks "choke throws".

The 1st and 10 crew said there are few QB's like that in the NFL, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, and to an extent, McNabb...

Then for whatever reason they brought up Smith saying in the both games he played he had "choke throws".

I don't know about the rest of the zone, but I don't see Smith as a choke artist.

The Seattle game in '06, then the opener in '07. Plus the chance to really play a full season to show more.
i wouldnt say he is a choke artist he played from a 21 point deficit against texans and indi is a top pass D team
First Take is among the dumbest sports shows on.......hell they still let that idiot who said Crabtree wasn't worth a 1st round pick on there....what's his name?
Smith is hardly a "choke" QB. Thats gotta be one of the dumbest things I've heard. Smith is RUSTY maybe but thats it. He's a NEW QB with a NEW MENTALITY of "letting the ball go" and taking more risks (remember his biggest problem was being "too careful and nice..."). Well, taking more risks will lead to some ints/bad passes but that doesnt make the guy a "choke artist."

LOL what does that make Brett Favre? He'd be choke artist of the decade.
Correction, our entire o-line chokes, not Smith, or even when Shaun Hill was under center for that matter.

You can only get so much out of any QB when playing behind the atrocious o-line we have.
  • TFSP
I can't understand how anybody can label Alex a bust. Has hasn't been in a situation where the playing ground has EVER been even to be compared to other Qbs. We've had 1 maybe 2 very good linemen the whole time he's been here. We've had like 12 or so that played 'musical chairs' on the line. We don't even have to mention the 27 offnse cords he's had, injured, dealing with a close death, a head coach that didn't want him, etc..s**ttay wr cores, prior this year...on and on...NOW...

When a QB only goes through 30% of the obstacles AS went through and then still played s**ttay, then there's your 1st overall pick BUST. I'm glad AS didn't turn to hard drugs or alcohol like most do(notice I said hard drugs).
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Correction, our entire o-line chokes, not Smith, or even when Shaun Hill was under center for that matter.

You can only get so much out of any QB when playing behind the atrocious o-line we have.

yea, the O line has not protected in the most dire situations. To their credit, they did very well against indy, but couldn't hold up too well in the 4th. It wasn't as bad as before but still.

Also, the WRs need to get open and react to when the QB is under pressure.
Its not a trend of his career, but he missed a lot of throws in the Colts game, especially at the end.

If he completed those throws, we had a good chance of winning that game.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Its not a trend of his career, but he missed a lot of throws in the Colts game, especially at the end.

If he completed those throws, we had a good chance of winning that game.

I didn't expect him to be perfect. It's been like 2 years since he's played. I do suspect he'll improve. If he doesnt, then we can discuss the choke-y-ness of smith and full put the bust label on.
They say stuff for shock value, just to get people to tune in/ log on to ESPN .com etc.

Even OchoCinco called them out on it.

He didn't choke in the last 2 games. Not even close.
I dont see how you can call a guy a choke when hes never been in any type of big game.
jury is still out...

hopefully, we will know for sure by end of the season...

Now, here's a choke artist...

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He didn't choke in the last 2 games. Not even close.
Share 49ersWebzone