There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

CB Keith Smith in, Spurlock Gone

Originally posted by cNiner:
f**king idiots , we need a f**king PR/KR !

calm down kid we werent even using him
Wait, I'm still trying to digest the signing of Chris Patrick from the Chiefs, now this from the Lions? Two winning franchises!

Wow! the 49er's John York either imposed a massive budget cut or Scott is eating that stuff instead of just smoking it!
our off season signings:

1 brandon jones- done nothing
2 marvel smith - left/done nothing
3. D. Evans - done nothing
4. M Harris - done nothing

Lets give Scotty/management a big round of applause...way to improve the team..
If this guy was cut by the Lions, then how is he better than anyone off the street?
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
our off season signings:

yes lets

1.Justin Smith - done something
2.Walt Harris - done something
3. Abruyo Franklin - done something
4.Nate Clements - done something
5.Micheal Lewis- done something
6. Larry Allen - done something
7. Jonas Jennings- (when he was healthy) done something
8. Takeo Spikes - done something

With Clements out, getting another CB was a higher priority than a KR. Yes, KR needs attention, but you can't compare the two positions/needs. I still say, make a trade with the Browns for Joshua Cribbs...no further discussion WRT kick returns.
Originally posted by bigmike55:

This guy is the next Nnamdi Asomugha
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
With Clements out, getting another CB was a higher priority than a KR. Yes, KR needs attention, but you can't compare the two positions/needs. I still say, make a trade with the Browns for Joshua Cribbs...no further discussion WRT kick returns.

For next season you mean?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
our off season signings:

yes lets

Wow no love for Moran Norris or Isaac Bruce??
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
our off season signings:

yes lets

Wow no love for Moran Norris or Isaac Bruce??

I'm not quite seeing what Norris has done for us lately, considering we can't really run the ball consistently. I won't even get started with Bruce. He did have a good season in 2008, but this year he's been an embarrassment. I'd seriously consider starting Hill or Morgan over Bruce. At this stage in his career, Bruce should be a 3rd-down WR.
Originally posted by cNiner:
f**king idiots , we need a f**king PR/KR !

and we don't need a cb ? we need a solid 4th CB because reggie smith hasn't been healthy in a while and can't be relied on.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Could have saved themselves the trouble and a step had they cut Spurlock to BEGIN with instead of Rossum.

I can guarantee that Rossum is a step above Keith Smith.

If we barely finish at .500 or worse than McCloughan needs to go.

I get that the draft is a crapshoot. You don't watch over 35 years of NFL Football and not understand that.

I get that with the FA market too. Especially in the salary Cap era where people overpay to get the best guy on the list. Nevermind that guy may not be a solid fit in their systems.

It's the moves he makes DURING the season that leave many including myself .

The Rossum move was that kind of move. What the hell prompted the staff to believe that a solid PR/KR and emergency DB was expendable in favor of a scrub WR that didn't even see the field except as a component in a failed attempt to run the "Tazer"?!!!

If they can give me a CREDIBLE answer as to why I will not be so hot. BUt so far as I know they can't.

~Ceadder

Yeap. I'm a Scotty supporter, but this whole drop Rossum, letting Sheets get to the Phins, and NOW releasing Spurlock boggles the friggin' mind.

Demetric Evans and Marques Harris have contributed nothing this season, yet they remain on the 53 as well.

I see the thought process there though. Name one year over the last 5 that we didn't have a significant injury to the DL.

There's your answer. Can never have too many bodies on Defense.

~Ceadder

No doubt there is logic in keeping a ton of D-linemen, but Rossum still should have never been cut. Biggest mistake Scotty has made outside the draft IMO (Nolan was responsible for the Antonio Bryant/D-Jax/Lelie/Gilmore/Jacobs mess, which is up there too).

Goddamn...didnt anyone notice that Rossum was getting put on the inactive list for a couple games BEFORE he was released? Doesnt anyone think our coaches especially our ST coach approved of this move? It just so happens Scot didnt fight to keep him on the roster like he did for Jason Hill. Which is understandable Scot drafted Jason not Rossum...seriously...the overreaction here is just epic sometimes.

Blame York, Blame Sing, Blame Raye, Blame Scot, Blame the ball boy DAMMIT LETS BLAME SOMEONE!!

Dude, I'm not overreacting. Cutting Rossum cost the 49ers at least one game this season. I'll bet you $100 Rossum doesn't fumble the same punt Arnaz Battle muffed in Houston. That play ultimately cost us the game.

I'm not a big "FIRE ______!" guy whatsoever, but this misstep with Allen Rossum this season has me questioning what Scotty was thinking in keeping Spurlock instead... only to cut him this week anyway for CB depth (cause Rossum was a backup CB too, ya know).
Cribbs will have to be after the season...trading deadline is gone. That doesn't help now, but boy, he'd sure fix the problem for good.
  • SoCold
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Could have saved themselves the trouble and a step had they cut Spurlock to BEGIN with instead of Rossum.

I can guarantee that Rossum is a step above Keith Smith.

If we barely finish at .500 or worse than McCloughan needs to go.

I get that the draft is a crapshoot. You don't watch over 35 years of NFL Football and not understand that.

I get that with the FA market too. Especially in the salary Cap era where people overpay to get the best guy on the list. Nevermind that guy may not be a solid fit in their systems.

It's the moves he makes DURING the season that leave many including myself .

The Rossum move was that kind of move. What the hell prompted the staff to believe that a solid PR/KR and emergency DB was expendable in favor of a scrub WR that didn't even see the field except as a component in a failed attempt to run the "Tazer"?!!!

If they can give me a CREDIBLE answer as to why I will not be so hot. BUt so far as I know they can't.

~Ceadder

Yeap. I'm a Scotty supporter, but this whole drop Rossum, letting Sheets get to the Phins, and NOW releasing Spurlock boggles the friggin' mind.

Demetric Evans and Marques Harris have contributed nothing this season, yet they remain on the 53 as well.

I see the thought process there though. Name one year over the last 5 that we didn't have a significant injury to the DL.

There's your answer. Can never have too many bodies on Defense.

~Ceadder

No doubt there is logic in keeping a ton of D-linemen, but Rossum still should have never been cut. Biggest mistake Scotty has made outside the draft IMO (Nolan was responsible for the Antonio Bryant/D-Jax/Lelie/Gilmore/Jacobs mess, which is up there too).

Goddamn...didnt anyone notice that Rossum was getting put on the inactive list for a couple games BEFORE he was released? Doesnt anyone think our coaches especially our ST coach approved of this move? It just so happens Scot didnt fight to keep him on the roster like he did for Jason Hill. Which is understandable Scot drafted Jason not Rossum...seriously...the overreaction here is just epic sometimes.

Blame York, Blame Sing, Blame Raye, Blame Scot, Blame the ball boy DAMMIT LETS BLAME SOMEONE!!

Dude, I'm not overreacting. Cutting Rossum cost the 49ers at least one game this season. I'll bet you $100 Rossum doesn't fumble the same punt Arnaz Battle muffed in Houston. That play ultimately cost us the game.

I'm not a big "FIRE ______!" guy whatsoever, but this misstep with Allen Rossum this season has me questioning what Scotty was thinking in keeping Spurlock instead... only to cut him this week anyway for CB depth (cause Rossum was a backup CB too, ya know).

Can I get $50 of that?

Rossum was inactive the injury report said “illness”

Then he was released

If the 9ers would have kept him I highly doubt he would have played for a few weeks at least.

I would put your $50 on him having a nagging hammy injury. The time he had off was just enough for him to pass a Cowboy physical then the hammy flared up again.

As much as I wanted him to stay because they clearly do not have another answer for a return man I think the team did what it needed to do, unfortunately.
  • titan
  • Veteran

This guy is the next Nnamdi Asomugha

When the heck did we get Roy Williams?