There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We're Really a Middle of the Pack Pass Defense

The 252 pass yards/game that we have given up is tied 28th for in the league. Just by looking at that, it would seem that we have a poor pass defense. However, this is simply not true. From watching this team, you can tell this, and by looking at the other pass defense related categories, this affirms it.

Completion % - 60.9% - 19th
Yards/attempt - 7.1 - 18th
TDs allowed - 9 - 9th-tied
INTs - 6 - 15th-tied
Sacks - 16 - 18th-tied
QB rating - 84.2 - 16th

I think the reason that our pass defense yards against is so high is because of two reasons: 1) our run defense. Our pass defense has seen 266 pass attempts - good for 5th most in the league. Our run defense has been so good that it forces opposing offenses to throw the ball. Our opponents' 183 rush attempts is only tied for 14th least, which brings me to point

2.) our offense. We need to set up the run with the pass - not the stubborn philosophy that we have been using for most of the season. We have not been very good in run blocking at all this year, and for some reason, Raye seems to want to stick to the run game first. He's wrong. The strength is in our skill position players - VD, Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Bruce, Walker, Gore is a great receiver out of the backfield. With all that talent, it'd be stupid to not set up the run with the pass, and thus, keep our defense off the field for longer.
Our Defense is easily top 15 if we had a better ball controlling offense...I'm sure that can be said about a few teams, though.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Our Defense is easily top 15 if we had a better ball controlling offense...I'm sure that can be said about a few teams, though.

I think our defense could be like the Colts: Once we get ahead they'll start dialing up insane amounts of pressure on the opposing team. We need to see how we play with a 2 score lead on defense (on offense I bet we do the hostler - run run pass punt lol)
Originally posted by Schulzy:
The 252 pass yards/game that we have given up is tied 28th for in the league. Just by looking at that, it would seem that we have a poor pass defense. However, this is simply not true. From watching this team, you can tell this, and by looking at the other pass defense related categories, this affirms it.

Completion % - 60.9% - 19th
Yards/attempt - 7.1 - 18th
TDs allowed - 9 - 9th-tied
INTs - 6 - 15th-tied
Sacks - 16 - 18th-tied
QB rating - 84.2 - 16th

I think the reason that our pass defense yards against is so high is because of two reasons: 1) our run defense. Our pass defense has seen 266 pass attempts - good for 5th most in the league. Our run defense has been so good that it forces opposing offenses to throw the ball. Our opponents' 183 rush attempts is only tied for 14th least, which brings me to point

2.) our offense. We need to set up the run with the pass - not the stubborn philosophy that we have been using for most of the season. We have not been very good in run blocking at all this year, and for some reason, Raye seems to want to stick to the run game first. He's wrong. The strength is in our skill position players - VD, Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Bruce, Walker, Gore is a great receiver out of the backfield. With all that talent, it'd be stupid to not set up the run with the pass, and thus, keep our defense off the field for longer.

All you need to know is buried within the stats: Time of Possession and 1st Downs.
The most important stat to me is Points Allowed, which we're ranked 12th. I know there was some complaining about how we played the Colts but I'm damn proud of our Defense. Holding Peyton Manning to ZERO TD's?

I'll take that any day of the week...give a damn how many yards he throws for.
Originally posted by baltien:
The most important stat to me is Points Allowed, which we're ranked 12th. I know there was some complaining about how we played the Colts but I'm damn proud of our Defense. Holding Peyton Manning to ZERO TD's?

I'll take that any day of the week...give a damn how many yards he throws for.

I agree. We are not a number 1 defense that can win games all by itself. But we are a good defense that keeps us in most games and gives us a chance to win. Our offense has to catch up to the defense and there are signs that this is starting to happen. The next 3 games will tell us whether we are making it or will we have another losing year.
Points allowed is what I go by and we are ranked 12th in that catagory. If you have more POINTS than the other team you win, not yards.

[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Nov 3, 2009 at 18:08:44 ]
  • iohk
  • Veteran
um holding the colts to 18 isnt easy to do.. especially at home
Defense held the most well oiled offense in the league to 1 touchdown at home. The niners just need more consistant production. If they could have just positioned themselves into field goal range a couple times that game would have been won.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I disagree, look who we have played.

Kurt Warner and his beast.
The crusty wizard Brett Favre.
Mister Manning the field general.
Matt Schaub the touchdown producer.
Matt Ryan the young star gazer.

It is who we have played, only game we really choked on defense was Atlanta.
Our D is good. F the stats

our D is easily top 7 or 8 if our offense would play better. Last 1.5 games with Smith moving the ball the D has been very good vs extremely good offenses in Hou/Indy. Going into the Atl game the D was ranked 8th overall we had a couple bad games and have lost some tough games. This D will end the season ranked in the top 10 single digits IMO. 10-6 BABY
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Our D is solid, it just doesn't know how to finish.
Originally posted by Method:

I think our defense could be like the Colts: Once we get ahead they'll start dialing up insane amounts of pressure on the opposing team. We need to see how we play with a 2 score lead on defense (on offense I bet we do the hostler - run run pass punt lol)

We don't have the pass rush... Colts are built for that with a Cover 2 with Absurd pass rushers in Freeney and Mathis
Outside of the Atlanta game, we've played pretty good pass defense this season. Best proof of that is controlling two of the game's best, Favre and Peyton. It's well chronicled we should've beaten the Vikes, and when's the last time any defense held the Colts to just one TD? What's keeping us from a top 10 pass defense is the pass rush...Haralson's seemingly just shut down...at this point, Lawson's a better pass rusher than Parys is. The DL's playing well...all three sacks against Peyton were from them.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home