There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith, 6th Best QB in the NFL (That's Right!)

Originally posted by nj49erfan:
Rule of thumb is when you have to describe the stat and most people still don't get it, it's probably not a real stat. Or at least not one any one should care about.

With that said Alex is going to be fine next year. Just not 6th best at anything.

Another game has gone by and he's still #1 in red zone QB rating from what I understand. Maybe he'll be 6th best at that next year?
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Rule of thumb is when you have to describe the stat and most people still don't get it, it's probably not a real stat. Or at least not one any one should care about.

With that said Alex is going to be fine next year. Just not 6th best at anything.

Another game has gone by and he's still #1 in red zone QB rating from what I understand. Maybe he'll be 6th best at that next year?

I think it is funny that the haters beleive that anyone who doesn't hate Smith thinks he is going to be the MVP of the league. The truth is the people who are supporting Smith have never said anything along those lines. Most are saying that he showed improvement and progression and deserves to start next season. But hey I guess if you are blind to the improvement and progression that Smith has made then you would be blind to everything else as well.
Originally posted by backontop:

I think it is funny that the haters beleive that anyone who doesn't hate Smith thinks he is going to be the MVP of the league. The truth is the people who are supporting Smith have never said anything along those lines. Most are saying that he showed improvement and progression and deserves to start next season. But hey I guess if you are blind to the improvement and progression that Smith has made then you would be blind to everything else as well.

Seems to me most people around here hate the 49ers. At least thats the way I read most of these posts. They also seem to believe in addition by subtraction. Everyone wants to cut so many players. But for what? If it was so easy to cut a guy and replace him with someone that would do a better job at his position teams would do it! It would be done before some moron started a thread about in on the WZ, that's for sure.
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A

Seems to me most people around here hate the 49ers. At least thats the way I read most of these posts. They also seem to believe in addition by subtraction. Everyone wants to cut so many players. But for what? If it was so easy to cut a guy and replace him with someone that would do a better job at his position teams would do it! It would be done before some moron started a thread about in on the WZ, that's for sure.

How did me saying Smith would be fine just not 6th best in the league make me a Smith hater? Or not a 49erfan? Its actaully quite the opposite and I believe Smith showed a great deal of improvement this year. I think he deserves a chance next year to keep improving. I think if you see my limited post history I have been pretty consistant that he should be given a shot and the team is more exciting with him in there. So what exactly are you guys talking about? Aside from just trying to make yourselves feel better by trying to prove you are better fans then others cause you cheer the loudest for one guy!!!

With that said if we get him an O-Line and Smith fails next year then it is time Smith and Scotty Mac to hit the road.

I agree with the bolded. But when I said that the "real fans'' support the team a mod tried turning it into something that it wasn't
  • Shemp
  • Veteran

The word "improvement" is very situation specific. The man improved from an F to a C over the course of 5 years. If I improve from getting 5 DUI's a year down to 3 DUI's a year, do you think that is worthy of excitement? The point is, he may have improved, but he has just cracked an average of 80 passer rating average for the first time in his career, and still has only one 300 yard game, and WAY more INTs than TDs. The list goes on and on. It's not that "haters" hate, they just aren't as delusional as the Smith bandwagoners are.
Originally posted by Shaj:

The word "improvement" is very situation specific. The man improved from an F to a C over the course of 5 years. If I improve from getting 5 DUI's a year down to 3 DUI's a year, do you think that is worthy of excitement? The point is, he may have improved, but he has just cracked an average of 80 passer rating average for the first time in his career, and still has only one 300 yard game, and WAY more INTs than TDs. The list goes on and on. It's not that "haters" hate, they just aren't as delusional as the Smith bandwagoners are.

Smith had more INT's than TD's this season??? Thats odd because NFL.com says Smith has 17TD's and 12 INT's. But hey hate on
  • Shemp
  • Veteran

Smith had more INT's than TD's this season??? Thats odd because NFL.com says Smith has 17TD's and 12 INT's. But hey hate on

It also says he is the 20th rated passer in the NFL this season. I was talking about his carrer, which carries equally ugly stats: 36TD, 43 INTs. Nice attempt at convenient confusion though.

It also says he is the 20th rated passer in the NFL this season. I was talking about his carrer, which carries equally ugly stats: 36TD, 43 INTs. Nice attempt at convenient confusion though.

attemp at confusion?? I simply stated that stats from this season. Next time you might want to mention that you are bringing up stats from his entire career. The fact still remains that Smith improved and was the least of the problems for the 49ers. Smith will be the starter next season whether the haters like it or not. There are 31 other teams in the NFL that I am sure would gladly take more fans to b***h, moan and groan about the team.
Originally posted by maximill15:
listen you can spin stats any which way you want, but the two things about smith that bother me the most are:

1. WINS!

2. Balls thrown away! Yes alex does this well! Sometimes its the right decision, but sometimes he gets rid of it too quickly or when he could have made a play and didn't!

So you are complaining that Smith gets rid of the ball to quickly while some complain that he holds onto it to long.

I'm complaining that he throws it out of bounds sometimes too early. But I really don't blame him, with our jail break O line. Once he trusts his line, and then can actually block, I think smith will be deadly
listen you can spin stats any which way you want, but the two things about smith that bother me the most are:

1. WINS!

2. Balls thrown away! Yes alex does this well! Sometimes its the right decision, but sometimes he gets rid of it too quickly or when he could have made a play and didn't!

So you are complaining that Smith gets rid of the ball to quickly while some complain that he holds onto it to long.

I'm complaining that he throws it out of bounds sometimes too early. But I really don't blame him, with our jail break O line. Once he trusts his line, and then can actually block, I think smith will be deadly

I hope you are right. The QB coach needs to work with him on leading receivers. give him an Oline and work on that and watch out now!

Yeah and Namath had 173 TDs to 220 ints
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Yeah and Namath had 173 TDs to 220 ints

He was also the #10 gunslinger on the top 10 gunslingers in the NFL on NFLN
Well if this is the case, then according to statistics and long term study, I should be hotter than Brad Pitt.
He'd be the 6th best Qb if there was only 5 QB's in the NFL.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home