There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

the 49er D is #1 against the rush

• Antix
  • Veteran
I don't care where our pass D is ranked as far as yards. All I know is we don't give up too many pts too often excluding the ATL game. Manning threw for well over 300 yds but no TDs so I'll take that.

Our 3rd down D needs to get better but I don't give a damn about passing yards. Pts are what matters.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
getting raped against the pass though

Agreed
Originally posted by TX9R:
That's a little misleading as we have played mostly passing teams. AZ was in the same boat until they played a team that actually runs...and they got gashed big time. The next game should tell us where we really are.

The Niners already have: MIN,STL,SEA,ATL- the RB's on these teams are from good to excellent
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Are we that good against the rush or are we so bad against the pass that people just don't find a need to run on us?

I think that if our pass defense were a little better our rush defense would be a little worse.

We would still have a top 10 defense, IMO.
Originally posted by Super5:
That's a little misleading as we have played mostly passing teams. AZ was in the same boat until they played a team that actually runs...and they got gashed big time. The next game should tell us where we really are.

The Niners already have: MIN,STL,SEA,ATL- the RB's on these teams are from good to excellent

seriously

also, our passing yards allowed really is misleading. we have something like the 3rd most passing attempts against us, largely because teams cant run on us and our offense has been awesome at 3 n outs. teams really dont need to pass or score points quick since our offense has been mostly inffective, and yet they're still passing.

we seem to be able to get good pass rush from 4 downlineman when ray mcdonald plays. a 3-4 that can get pressure without sending more than 4 is damn tough to make explosive plays against

ill take being 20th in passing yards allowed. it begins with the run and we are superior when it comes to stopping it.

so basically, if the offense keeps progressing with Smith, i think we're a serious contender inspite of our flaws

people need to keep in mind that other than ATL, all of our losses were against good to very good teams for a combined 10 points. this is against manning, favre, and shaub--all top rated passers.

our defense is real and legit, the offense just needs to step up and get some bounce, some swag. let alex smith call more of his own plays, and hope barry sims doesnt make nate davis play out of necessity
  • TitanUp
  • Info N/A
The game against my Titans should be a good test for both teams. We have one of the best running games in the league and the 49ers have one of the best rushing defenses in the league so somebody is gonna fall to the other. It should be a good test for Vince Young since a lot of us Titan fans aren't totally convinced he can be the future of our team. I gotta say with CJ and VY both ready to run with the ball it can be a little dangerous for teams. It should be a good game Sunday
The most telling stat is scoring defense... we're 12th (20.0 pts/game)

Tennessee is last in the league, giving up 30 pts/gm. Their NE beat down tilted those numbers a bit, but regardless, it should be a great game. Our defense matches up great against them and our offense should be able to move the ball pretty well.
  • TBC_Titan
  • Info N/A
We're gunna roll over you guys Sunday!!!

Ha...J/K. This should be a great test for both teams.
I watched your game against Indy and was very impressed with your defense. They were swarming around, giving Manning different looks. I love the formation where your whole D line was standing up.

I know you guys have contained AP, and that's a huge feat. But until you see CJ on the field in person, you can't really grasp just how ludicrously fast he is. If he gets even the smallest crease and/or gets into the secondary, no one is going to catch him. He also uses his blockers extremely well. He's gotten several way long TD runs this year. He's the leagues #1 rusher. More yards than AP, with less carries and one less game played.

Gore is a great back too. I'm anxious to see how our recently tuned up defense will stop or contain him.

Yeah I just wanted to hop on, say hi and wish both organizations a great game on Sunday. I'm looking forward to it!
Originally posted by ciaspy:
Does the glass always have to be half empty on this forum?

1. Yes - we have faced 3 top NFL leading rushers in Peterson, Turner, and Jackson
so that stat is not misleading

2. No - we have not allowed a 100 yard rusher all season facing these backs

3. No - I wouldn't call keeping Peyton Manning out of the endzone all game getting burned with the passing attack.

Make up all the excuses you like but 3 out of our 4 losses have been by 4 points or less and all on the road. The defense has been doing their job. The offense and the offensive side of our special teams have cost us these games.

When the coaching staff realizes that they do not have the personnel to run the desired packages the offense will get better. Raye needs to keep us out of 3rd and long situations and we will be a playoff contender.
Breaker Breaker Ten Four Good Buddy. That's our problem in a nutshell.
Originally posted by TBC_Titan:
We're gunna roll over you guys Sunday!!!

Ha...J/K. This should be a great test for both teams.
I watched your game against Indy and was very impressed with your defense. They were swarming around, giving Manning different looks. I love the formation where your whole D line was standing up.

I know you guys have contained AP, and that's a huge feat. But until you see CJ on the field in person, you can't really grasp just how ludicrously fast he is. If he gets even the smallest crease and/or gets into the secondary, no one is going to catch him. He also uses his blockers extremely well. He's gotten several way long TD runs this year. He's the leagues #1 rusher. More yards than AP, with less carries and one less game played.

Gore is a great back too. I'm anxious to see how our recently tuned up defense will stop or contain him.

Yeah I just wanted to hop on, say hi and wish both organizations a great game on Sunday. I'm looking forward to it!

I'm looking forward to the QB "bust vs bust" matchup. I want to see if either of these qbs is the real deal.
  • Mex49
Cool, but we are 3-4 so who gives a flying f**k
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Super5:

You may want to check the stats. Not one of those teams is in the top 10 in rushing, and 4 of our 7 opponents are in the bottom 5 in rushing, basically the 4 worst rushing offenses in the league, and 3 middle of the pack rushing offenses.http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go
So basically we've stopped teams at what they don't really do anyways and gotten lit up by what they do well. Forgive me for not jumping for joy here. Teams run just enough to keep us honest because they know they can pass all over us w/o a pass rush, hence the ranking.
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
getting raped against the pass though

25th vs pass !

we are 18th ! that is not good if we want to be a playoff team !

what are you happy about !

we just went through a tough part of our schedule and faced some amazing QB's in Favre/Schuab/Manning/Warner.