There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If Alex does well the rest of the season do we extend him?

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Even though he has improved, I'd wait till next year to lock him up, players always play better in their contract years. See Abrayo Franklin.

That would give me two reasons to re-sign him now if he continues his success.

1. Since he's not in a contract year, he's obviously playing well in general, not to get a big pay day.

2. If we re-sign him now instead of waiting until his contract year, his price tag will be lower than if he has a monster season.

Hes playing well enough to keep his roster spot and job as of right now. If we miss the playoffs, I'd wait till next year to re-sign him and I'd draft another QB high.

If he has a monster season, then we should very well pay him what he wants right?? Why pay him now, if he regresses later??

I'm talking a smaller extension. Like a two-year extension. What if he plays out next year and wants to leave? That's the concern. If we take that gamble, we could very well be back at square one, with a rookie or inexperienced QB trying to lead this team. Set back for years again. See what I mean?

That is NOT what I want at all. We need to handle this carefully. We all know that at the very least, Alex can play well enough for us to beat even the best team in the league. Alex has faced teams with a combined record of 12-3 so far this season -- winning teams.

I put up the stats earlier, and while it's a small sample size, it's hard for me to say that Alex has been anything other than exceptionally solid so far. I hope to be adding even more positive stats for Alex after the next couple of games or so, to make it clear that he's the best QB for this team now and in the future, and it is in our best interest to keep him here.
I would hope they give him an extension.

Hill, in 6 starts and 5.5 games technically, completed 56.1% of his passes for 943 yards with 5 TDs, 2 INTs and 1 fumble lost, while facing pass defenses that are currently rated: 20th, 18th, 23rd, 24th, 31st, and 14th (Houston). His QB rating is 79.6.

Smith through 1.5 games and 1 start has faced the 6th and 14th ranked defenses, completing 63% of his passes for 404 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs and no fumbles, with a QB rating of 95.0.

So far, so good for Alex. The absurdities I still see are people saying that "he looks like the same old Alex" with any single errant pass he makes. No matter if it's just a couple throws per game.. apparently that's still nowhere near acceptable. All QB's are off the mark sometimes. All of them. We saw that with Manning on Sunday. This "Manning is proven" stuff is bull crap. Who cares if he's proven? Him being proven is completely irrelevant to Alex's play. Give me a freaking break. If you're judging his success based on whether or not he has a single overthrow or interception in a game, you're being ridiculous. Just because Alex hasn't "proven" something yet, don't write off his good play. LET him prove himself. He's off to a good start, so let's see how he finishes...

wow someone acsually makes sense.. alex can make the throws... we need to give him more time dont hate him because he will lead this team to a 10-6 RECORD
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Even though he has improved, I'd wait till next year to lock him up, players always play better in their contract years. See Abrayo Franklin.

That would give me two reasons to re-sign him now if he continues his success.

1. Since he's not in a contract year, he's obviously playing well in general, not to get a big pay day.

2. If we re-sign him now instead of waiting until his contract year, his price tag will be lower than if he has a monster season.

Hes playing well enough to keep his roster spot and job as of right now. If we miss the playoffs, I'd wait till next year to re-sign him and I'd draft another QB high.

If he has a monster season, then we should very well pay him what he wants right?? Why pay him now, if he regresses later??

I'm talking a smaller extension. Like a two-year extension. What if he plays out next year and wants to leave? That's the concern. If we take that gamble, we could very well be back at square one, with a rookie or inexperienced QB trying to lead this team. Set back for years again. See what I mean?

That is NOT what I want at all. We need to handle this carefully. We all know that at the very least, Alex can play well enough for us to beat even the best team in the league. Alex has faced teams with a combined record of 12-3 so far this season -- winning teams.

I put up the stats earlier, and while it's a small sample size, it's hard for me to say that Alex has been anything other than exceptionally solid so far. I hope to be adding even more positive stats for Alex after the next couple of games or so, to make it clear that he's the best QB for this team now and in the future, and it is in our best interest to keep him here.

This is all irrelevant because we have yet to see how this year plays out, we could go round in circles talking about what if's.Your thinking is that he may produce a monster year next year and want to leave. BUT, we have all next year to negotiate a contract extension, what's the hurry. I'd be very surprised if his price tag sky rocketed next year, if he had a monster year. But even if we drafted a rookie high, he could sit next year, Smith could play out the year, if he does great, I'm sure McCloughan would work something out, if not we have a season rookie that waited in the wings.

Like I mentioned in another thread. Sure Smith's play has improved and all, but lets wait till Smith actually starts to put up some W's.
Si'
If he does great, we'd be foolish not to. We need to know what is there. I am eager to see next week with teams actually having more footage of his current skills and tendencies. It is exciting to be a niner fan!!

Go Niners!!
of course we do. there would be no reason not to extend him if he performs well
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
I think he needs more than a solid half season before he gets more $$$ from us.....

He gave up "more money" to stay with "us"

Can you honestly say he has earned anything near what he has recieved.....
I would hope they give him an extension.

Hill, in 6 starts and 5.5 games technically, completed 56.1% of his passes for 943 yards with 5 TDs, 2 INTs and 1 fumble lost, while facing pass defenses that are currently rated: 20th, 18th, 23rd, 24th, 31st, and 14th (Houston). His QB rating is 79.6.

Smith through 1.5 games and 1 start has faced the 6th and 14th ranked defenses, completing 63% of his passes for 404 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs and no fumbles, with a QB rating of 95.0.

So far, so good for Alex. The absurdities I still see are people saying that "he looks like the same old Alex" with any single errant pass he makes. No matter if it's just a couple throws per game.. apparently that's still nowhere near acceptable. All QB's are off the mark sometimes. All of them. We saw that with Manning on Sunday. This "Manning is proven" stuff is bull crap. Who cares if he's proven? Him being proven is completely irrelevant to Alex's play. Give me a freaking break. If you're judging his success based on whether or not he has a single overthrow or interception in a game, you're being ridiculous. Just because Alex hasn't "proven" something yet, don't write off his good play. LET him prove himself. He's off to a good start, so let's see how he finishes...

Wow very well said. This should go in every Alex Smith thread.
I think he needs more than a solid half season before he gets more $$$ from us.....

No,and there are many in all sports who don't....

FACT: Alex just signed a new contract for less money to remain with the 49ers....

I better stop ing you before your brain becomes a meatball...

No,and there are many in all sports who don't....

FACT: Alex just signed a new contract for less money to remain with the 49ers....

I better stop ing you before your brain becomes a meatball...

Don't you think we should see a little more than 1/2 a season before extending his contact expecially after he just restructured.

[ Edited by SF2AZNiner on Nov 4, 2009 at 09:11:10 ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
If we make the playoffs and Alex has mort TD's then INTS and has 60% completion rate, then yes they should give him a new contract.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Or do we let him play out the last year of his contract? Problem with the second scenerio is that he may feel disrespected and decide to sign with another team.

Do not extend and trade Patrick Willis.
I have the feeling he won't be getting an extension no time soon but I don't think he should be benched yet. However I hope Davis has been hitting the book because he should be getting the nod soon.

[ Edited by SF2AZNiner on Nov 8, 2009 at 16:48:11 ]