There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If Alex does well the rest of the season do we extend him?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Or do we let him play out the last year of his contract? Problem with the second scenerio is that he may feel disrespected and decide to sign with another team.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Nov 4, 2009 at 04:46:41 ]
i really dont tihkn he would just up and go to another team
If he shows that he can be a franchise QB, they will resign him very quickly before his contract expires.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
If he shows that he can be a franchise QB, they will resign him very quickly before his contract expires.

If continues to show progress and build on his play so far , I would agree that it would be a pretty simple decision
I would hope they give him an extension.

Hill, in 6 starts and 5.5 games technically, completed 56.1% of his passes for 943 yards with 5 TDs, 2 INTs and 1 fumble lost, while facing pass defenses that are currently rated: 20th, 18th, 23rd, 24th, 31st, and 14th (Houston). His QB rating is 79.6.

Smith through 1.5 games and 1 start has faced the 6th and 14th ranked defenses, completing 63% of his passes for 404 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs and no fumbles, with a QB rating of 95.0.

So far, so good for Alex. The absurdities I still see are people saying that "he looks like the same old Alex" with any single errant pass he makes. No matter if it's just a couple throws per game.. apparently that's still nowhere near acceptable. All QB's are off the mark sometimes. All of them. We saw that with Manning on Sunday. This "Manning is proven" stuff is bull crap. Who cares if he's proven? Him being proven is completely irrelevant to Alex's play. Give me a freaking break. If you're judging his success based on whether or not he has a single overthrow or interception in a game, you're being ridiculous. Just because Alex hasn't "proven" something yet, don't write off his good play. LET him prove himself. He's off to a good start, so let's see how he finishes...
  • hopeforniners
  • Info N/A
I want to see him show poise and
1. not lead to wasteful usage of timeouts cause he cant get the play in to the team
2. more importantly, show some ability towards the end of the game instead of choking
3. show better ability to improvise - i'm not convinced of him getting rid of his habit to simply go towards the sideline and throwing away the ball. I want to see him atleast attempt to make something out of the play.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Quote:
3. show better ability to improvise - i'm not convinced of him getting rid of his habit to simply go towards the sideline and throwing away the ball. I want to see him atleast attempt to make something out of the play.

Yeah, that is one of my pet peeves also. He almost always just runs out of bounds or throws the ball away.
By the way, before last Sunday's game.. Indianapolis had only allowed 2 passing touchdowns all year. Two. Their current three TDs allowed makes them best in the league.
It depends on Smith. If he plays well it will up his stock around the league and he might opt to go somewhere else for a bigger pay. But right now all indication from his character is he will stay with us and finished what he planned. Scot McCloughan said on a radio show that Alex could have left at the point of his contract restructure but chose not to.

Give him an extension before he hits FA. Worse case, we get another qb, Smith will be a very good #2 and hopefully we don't have to see another duck from Hill. OK, I appreciated the wins Hill have given us
Originally posted by mayo63:
Quote:

Yeah, that is one of my pet peeves also. He almost always just runs out of bounds or throws the ball away.

Id rather have that, than shaun duck hill, waiting too long.. then trying to scramble, only to run directly into a defender and get sacked.
Question is a no-brainer. Look around the league at how many teams don't have a good QB. There are a lot of them. None of them are doing great.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Quote:

Id rather have that, than shaun duck hill, waiting too long.. then trying to scramble, only to run directly into a defender and get sacked.

Yeah, but Alex can make something out of the play than just running out of bounds without picking up yardage or just throwing the ball away. There's got to be a reciever down field he can hit when he's scrambling like that.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I would hope they give him an extension.

Hill, in 6 starts and 5.5 games technically, completed 56.1% of his passes for 943 yards with 5 TDs, 2 INTs and 1 fumble lost, while facing pass defenses that are currently rated: 20th, 18th, 23rd, 24th, 31st, and 14th (Houston). His QB rating is 79.6.

Smith through 1.5 games and 1 start has faced the 6th and 14th ranked defenses, completing 63% of his passes for 404 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs and no fumbles, with a QB rating of 95.0.

So far, so good for Alex. The absurdities I still see are people saying that "he looks like the same old Alex" with any single errant pass he makes. No matter if it's just a couple throws per game.. apparently that's still nowhere near acceptable. All QB's are off the mark sometimes. All of them. We saw that with Manning on Sunday. This "Manning is proven" stuff is bull crap. Who cares if he's proven? Him being proven is completely irrelevant to Alex's play. Give me a freaking break. If you're judging his success based on whether or not he has a single overthrow or interception in a game, you're being ridiculous. Just because Alex hasn't "proven" something yet, don't write off his good play. LET him prove himself. He's off to a good start, so let's see how he finishes...

Very interesting stats. As a Hill supporter from the start of this season, I'm glad that Smith has proven me wrong so far and I support him being our starter. With ARZ losing, we're still in the race for the division title. Let's hope we can go undefeated in our division and finish w/ a 10-6 record. It's a stretch, but possible now that we have Gore, Crabtree and Smith. Our current record of 3-4 could've easily been 6-1, losses to Vikings, Texans and Colts were very close...still gives me hope that we can do better the 2nd half of the season.

Edit: And to stay OT, I have no doubt his contract will get extended since the FO has been very good getting their players re-signed to new contracts before they expire.

[ Edited by mcbaes72 on Nov 3, 2009 at 08:28:37 ]
Yes.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Quote:

Yeah, but Alex can make something out of the play than just running out of bounds without picking up yardage or just throwing the ball away. There's got to be a reciever down field he can hit when he's scrambling like that.

It's what he's supposed to do. We are (in theory) running a ball control offense. The way that "should" work is marching down the field methodically, eating up clock, and not giving your opponent much time to score. You are not going to score a lot of points that way, so you can't put your defense in bad positions that might let the other team score easily - and nothing does that like a turnover. So with this philosphy, Smith is doing the right thing - sacrificing a chance at a big play, to avoid the possibility of a big mistake.