There are 192 users in the forums

Nate Clements Keep him or cut/trade him after the season? (Poll)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Nate Clements Keep him or cut/trade him after the season? (Poll)

I think we need to keep him, sure he hasn't been a perfect shutdown CB but really how many of them are there?

He's an above avg CB that can play big physical WRs such as Fitzgerld very well.

With the depth this team has at CB young depth at that with Brown/Spencer this would be the perfect time to move him to S part time. Why not just give him a taste of it here and there.

Play the match up with the CBs if Clements isn't the best CB match up put him at S he's got to be better right now than any of our S I have faith in Goldston and Lewis is still ok but Clements would be much better.

[ Edited by matt49er on Nov 2, 2009 at 21:01:05 ]
Keep him but he needs his contract to be restructured to save cap space. (If there will be one).
I'll wait to say either way until i've seen he's back up play over a course of several games.

[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Nov 2, 2009 at 21:02:12 ]
There is no debate, keep him.

He's very good at pass protection, and amazing against the run, I always see him take down guys like Steven Jackson and AP in one-on-one situations.

You can never have too many DB's, and he's one of our best ones. I don't understand why everyone wants to get rid of him.
MM's article on this issue has some real good points...

I'm pretty sure the Niners would want him to stay, just depends if Nate is willing to restructure his contract.
I would really really like to see him move to FS until Smith is ready to take it.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

He's very good at pass protection, and amazing against the run, I always see him take down guys like Steven Jackson and AP in one-on-one situations.

You can never have too many DB's, and he's one of our best ones. I don't understand why everyone wants to get rid of him.

I think it's the contract, the last year being voided is ignored by alot of ppl who still call it a 8 yr $80M deal really it's 7 yr $64M but that's still pretty steep for a CB that's not elite. I really hope the team gets him to renegotiate and thinks about moving him to S in the next 2 years.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

I think it's the contract, the last year being voided is ignored by alot of ppl who still call it a 8 yr $80M deal really it's 7 yr $64M but that's still pretty steep for a CB that's not elite. I really hope the team gets him to renegotiate and thinks about moving him to S in the next 2 years.

Then renegotiate if necessary, there's no reason to not have him on this team.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
I hope we get him back by the AZ game! its going to be a big game!

Wow.

He's one of the best playes on our team. Doesn't anybody remember the clowns we had at CB for 4 - 5 years before he got here?... He is much maligned because of his $80 Million contract. He may not be great all the time especially in coverage but he is a VERY GOOD CB and he helps our team.

That's what FA is. You overpay to get the best available players. But that doesn't mean he isn't a good player and doesn't help this team.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Keep him.

Clements has been good for us, sure hes a little over-payed but, bad teams have to do that in order to draw good players. Trust me his presence in the secondary WILL BE MISSED!!!
Keep him.

I'll be surprised if he gets traded.

The franchise tag for a CB is $10M. I think we can afford him at $6M.

-9fA
Keep... possibly convert to safety?

I'm at a loss for words at this thread.
Keep him. Even if we can't restructure his contract.
Share 49ersWebzone