There are 173 users in the forums

Maybe move back to 4-3?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
we have a QB that gives up consistently more turnovers than any other quarterback, of course the D is gonna look a little vulnerable when you are always being call on in random times and tough parts of the field to handle on a regular basis.

I think as our O gets better so will our D.

We will still suck though its kinda sad we haven't won a game, it really is.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
really? a thread this old was bumped

Someone probably decided to use the search function for a change lol
Originally posted by sincalniner:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by tohara3:
No thanks.

This seems like a good answer.

~Ceadder
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
what year did the niners switch to the 3-4 anyways?

Actually they tried to do it in '04 with the drafting of Sopoaga, but it fell through once he went to IR.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Brooks AND Haralson can play DE's...only difference from what they do now is, putting their hands on the ground vs. standing up and rushing from the "exact" same spot at the LOS.

Didn't Smith and Willis also come from a 4-3?
I always thought the point of a 3-4 was to use the LBs to blitz and to blitz in creative ways. We have zero creativity and we never sack the QB. The D is playung bad. I'm all for going back to a 4-3 at years end I feel we are better suited for it

NCommand, That's the thing that I keep coming back to: It seems more accurate to describe our D as an "effective" 4-3 rather than a 3-4. Between the frequent use of a quasi-down lineman in our base package and Manusky's sudden case of the conservatives regarding blitzes, our defense seems to walk and talk like a 4-3 duck. Granted, I understand that there are still important differences and that 3-4s frequently mimic 4-3s, but in the grey area between a hybrid 3-4 and a standard 4-3, it seems to me that we're a lot closer to the 4-3 side of the spectrum.

Ninersrule4, I fully agree. Philosophically our approach to blitzing seems backasswards for a 3-4 team, further evidence that our defense already lays closer to the 4-3 side of the spectrum. As you point out, the LBs--especially the OLBs--should be fangs of a rigorous blitzing regime, but if that's happening it isn't producing any results in our lackadaisical pass rush. Granted, there are plenty of delay blitzes, but is it Manusky or are our LBs just that hopelessly slow? I don't get it.

I am confident, however, that this isn't how a 3-4 defense is supposed to think. They're almost Nickle-like in their passivity and caution. And that's a very strange accusation to make against what should be a gunslinging high risk/high reward style of defense.
Bubba, you got everything right except for one: Manusky. I honestly believe that he is calling bigmike's (BMs) plays, and at the very least is following BMs conservative D playcalls. That is also why i would love to see BM given his well deserved pink slip, and leave right after the Raiders game. THEN, and only then will we know was this namby pamby D really that bad or was it the D calls. My money all along has been on BM calling the D...certainly the conservative aspect of it, anyway. Schidt can BM and then see what kind of D gets called. I am guessing it will be a lot more aggressive, much like Preseason, when manusky was letting it all hang out....and our D looked dam impressive.

Corollary: i also believe MJ got his shot alright, but BM is still whispering in his ear, "smash mouth football", also known as Frank right, frank left, frank up the middle. The fact that most folks in the stadium know which play is coming is not a good sign. I believe with BM gone, we will get a lot better on O, and we will see a much more wide open O than BM could ever imagine. I firmly believe the week's O and D game plans still belong to BM.

MJ is professional with a very nice resume. Manusk is same. BM is, well, a great motivational speaker, and like Gruden said a number of times, "Rah rah may help you once or twice during the season, nothing more." BMs plan has been Rah rah all along, counting on motivating rather than coaching to get him thru. He is not a HC, but he looks really good on Jed's resume. His hiring was undeserved, and he has proven that beyond any question. Xs and Os? Fuggedaboudit. No, this is a guy who got Peter Principled to a position he is wildly incapable of doing. He needs to go...now. Finish out the season with Manusk and MJ and let them audition for next yr. Let's see what they have. But keeping BM on just seems senseless.

As for the 3-4 or 4-3, with BM here it makes no difference. With a real HC, then play what we have the talent for or draft for. Right now we are playing a 3-4 and then abandoning the reason for using it...ie, creative blitz packs, that BM is incapable of calling. Or more likely, refuses to call...another sign of a HC promoted way beyond his capability. You realize in the hx of the nfl, no unidimensional asst coach(in this case LB coach) has ever been jump promoted to HC? Worse he had but just a few yrs under lilmikeynoln as his mentor. That is what is wrong with this team. But it can be fixed Mon with a quick firing. Do i believe it ? Nah, but i do know that is what has to happen...question is when.

My belief: jed doesn't have the stones to fire BM. I think he is a c.s. There it is, pure and simple. It is easier for him to do nothing and let the 49ers hang in the wind than to fire BM , who is very deserving of getting the axe.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
what year did the niners switch to the 3-4 anyways?

Actually they tried to do it in '04 with the drafting of Sopoaga, but it fell through once he went to IR.

Thanks for one upping me.
I dont see how peolpe dont see that the defense is a [retty big problem right now.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Bubba, you got everything right except for one: Manusky. I honestly believe that he is calling bigmike's (BMs) plays, and at the very least is following BMs conservative D playcalls. That is also why i would love to see BM given his well deserved pink slip, and leave right after the Raiders game. THEN, and only then will we know was this namby pamby D really that bad or was it the D calls. My money all along has been on BM calling the D...certainly the conservative aspect of it, anyway. Schidt can BM and then see what kind of D gets called. I am guessing it will be a lot more aggressive, much like Preseason, when manusky was letting it all hang out....and our D looked dam impressive.

Corollary: i also believe MJ got his shot alright, but BM is still whispering in his ear, "smash mouth football", also known as Frank right, frank left, frank up the middle. The fact that most folks in the stadium know which play is coming is not a good sign. I believe with BM gone, we will get a lot better on O, and we will see a much more wide open O than BM could ever imagine. I firmly believe the week's O and D game plans still belong to BM.

MJ is professional with a very nice resume. Manusk is same. BM is, well, a great motivational speaker, and like Gruden said a number of times, "Rah rah may help you once or twice during the season, nothing more." BMs plan has been Rah rah all along, counting on motivating rather than coaching to get him thru. He is not a HC, but he looks really good on Jed's resume. His hiring was undeserved, and he has proven that beyond any question. Xs and Os? Fuggedaboudit. No, this is a guy who got Peter Principled to a position he is wildly incapable of doing. He needs to go...now. Finish out the season with Manusk and MJ and let them audition for next yr. Let's see what they have. But keeping BM on just seems senseless.

As for the 3-4 or 4-3, with BM here it makes no difference. With a real HC, then play what we have the talent for or draft for. Right now we are playing a 3-4 and then abandoning the reason for using it...ie, creative blitz packs, that BM is incapable of calling. Or more likely, refuses to call...another sign of a HC promoted way beyond his capability. You realize in the hx of the nfl, no unidimensional asst coach(in this case LB coach) has ever been jump promoted to HC? Worse he had but just a few yrs under lilmikeynoln as his mentor. That is what is wrong with this team. But it can be fixed Mon with a quick firing. Do i believe it ? Nah, but i do know that is what has to happen...question is when.

My belief: jed doesn't have the stones to fire BM. I think he is a c.s. There it is, pure and simple. It is easier for him to do nothing and let the 49ers hang in the wind than to fire BM , who is very deserving of getting the axe.

This says it all. I wondered if our esteemed HC was screwing up both sides of the ball now and it may be so. The D has changed in ways that smells of Sing's philosophy.

It seems he whispers in the ear of every coach so that they run things the Sing way, the way it was when he played, the Camalot Years.

Sing must go and go now. Even if the team wins a couple it will be because of talent and despite the coach. And one has to wonder if York has the cajones to fire Sing, or if he will do anything to avoid that, like one win lets him live for five games more...
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Nice post, pasodoc9er. I think you've summed up the case against Singletary very nicely. A month and a week ago, I would've fought you tooth and nail over that post, but you are correct: there's a funk of indecisiveness, conservatism, and ultimately incompetence hanging over every aspect of our club. The entire team seems to be running on a uniform five second time delay and that strongly suggests that you're right, Singletary's indecisiveness and conservatism is infecting every facet of our team's decision making process and he is primarily responsible for our club's week-in-week-out incompetence.

No, defense is not the problem. When the offense starts to play like professionals doing the simple things like block, ball security, and score more than one touchdown a game you will see an improved defense.
Like Buffalo's gonna this week...?
Man if we did i wish we got Peppers!
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
No, defense is not the problem. When the offense starts to play like professionals doing the simple things like block, ball security, and score more than one touchdown a game you will see an improved defense.

the defense is averaging over 20pts per game, the can't stop the run or the pass. You're right who needs an offense when you have a defense like that.
Just showed defense is 4th worst on team's opening drives. Raiders added to that by adding another LONG drive and points. This points to poor coaching and game planning and leaves our offense sitting on the bench. This defense is garbage. Period.
Share 49ersWebzone