LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Singletary backs Raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
If Raye is fired he would be replaced with a guy that has the same philosophy. Raye is doing what Sings wants him to do. I'm sure Sing wants him to game plan better but they share the same philopshy and mentality when it comes to offensive football. they aren't gonna adjust to the poor run blocking they will continue to hammer it in there folks. Only time you gonna see this so called spread is in hurry up situations.

No choice except to adjust if they want to be in the playoffs.

Hurry up Mike!,before it's too late!!
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by GORO:
Why do we not run sweeps plays or off tackle running plays. Why is it always straight up the middle?

that's cool!

Hillarious!

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ramp19Stoner:
Why do we not run sweeps plays or off tackle running plays. Why is it always straight up the middle?

that's cool!

Hillarious!

Where's the patented Norris FB dive at?
  • nooj
  • Veteran
ZERO points in the second half. Someone must be held accountable. FIRE RAYE NOW!!
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Should we bring in Mike Holmgren next yr as OC?

if sing continues to be this stubborn i hope he's the HC...

No, not yet. From what I'm hearing from Singletary, he's flexible, and if Alex continues to play well, the offense will be opened up. Singletary just wins to win. It doesn't have to be by running the ball.

Besides, he's not going to criticize the OC this early in the season. He understands that Raye is still figuring out what we do good and what we can't do. If it's Week 14, then I'm sure Singletary would be a little less forgiving. Right now he's just being patient.

I'll give Raye a couple more weeks to get his act together. I'm going to assume that he just doesn't trust Alex yet. I'm going to assume that the FB dive Norris was just a simple misunderstanding. He saw "Norris" on the back of the FBs jersey and for a second thought it was Chuck Norris. Of course, if it was Chuck Norris, the FB dive would've resulted in a TD. Simple mistake.

I hope Alex comes out and has another good game against Tennessee so that it becomes clear that we should open up the offense and start destroying teams early and often. I'm tired of losing games in the 4th quarter. If we build a big enough lead, this won't happen. We shouldn't have to wait until we're down to start passing the ball, and we shouldn't stop passing the ball when we have a lead; it's that simple.
I see no problem with the philosophy, it's the actual playcalling and poor blocking by the offensive line which is why the offense is so bad.

However I would like to see the offense more worked toward Alex's strengths, which would require a change in philosophy..
I hope Sing and Raye realize that the offensive line isn't going to just all of a sudden decide to start blocking.
I'm not saying Raye should call more passes. I think the passing game is coming right along, and will only get better. The problem right now is the offense canNOT move the ball on the ground and it's killing drives. We've all seen the stat, take away Gore's 3 long runs and he's avg like 2.something yds a carry. That's horrible and not anywhere close to what Frank is capable of.
Anybody watch the Monday night game? Notice how the Saints' and Falcons' O-line actually PUSHED the D-line back during running plays?? When was the last time we saw that with the Niner O-line? They get stood up, downright beat at the LOS, or are simply out numbered.
And yet, Raye still calls run after run to the middle of the line..... I posted in the Sing approval thread that we should maybe use our WRs more in the running game. Meaning try to run to the outside in a spread formation. Let Gore get in behind those big WRs we have see what happens. The Niners target large WRs because they want them to block alot, well how about using them???
Raye cannot just keep running the ball straight ahead over and over again. And Sing cannot keep saying he's 832% behind his playcalling.
Something has got to change, and it's gotta change NOW.

I can only hope that Jed feels the same way and voices his opinion. I don't think Sing will change without a nudge from ownership.
What is discouraging is that Sing states that he doesn't have enough faith in Alex Smith or the O-line to run a spread offense! Wtf?? After all the rhetoric at the start of the season regarding how much faith he has in our offensive line, now he says this? Maybe he is taking Staley's injury into account? It sounds like he is calling himself out for not addressing our O-line needs and for us having mediocrity at the QB position (though I am optimistic about Smith myself).

This is awesome.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
"Ask if he still backed Raye's approach 100 percent, Singletary went 50 percent further. "I 150 percent back what he's doing," he said. "Absolutely. There's not one iota that I'm wavering here or there." Singletary did concede that Raye is still in the process of learning what his players do best, and thus the offense is still evolving."

Barrows

-9fA

I supose he can't really say anything else , or he looks like an idiot ,it's a little disturbing that Raye is still learning about his players good and bad points halfway through the season

I don't expect him to throw him under the bus, but there is nothing wrong with saying something like "the basic philosophy is solid and what we want, but we're going to make a few changes to fit our personel better". Nothing wrong with that, right? You're still backing your OC, while showing it's YOUR team and you're going to fix what's wrong.

From what he has said, I expect no changes in our gameplans or play calling. That leads me to expect to miss the playoffs yet again. So as Tom Hanks would say, "Stupid is as stupid does". Raye's playcalling is stupid, and Singletary backing him at the expense of the TEAM is stupid.

So my hope for the offseason: Raye = bye bye! Scotty = bye bye! Singletary = bye bye - or reduced to some kind of assistant just for motivational purposes. Welcome home Mike Shanahan as HC, Mike Holmgren as GM, and Norv Turner as OC!

[ Edited by RDB4216 on Nov 3, 2009 at 07:04:15 ]

Make all of those an I formation with double tights and this is exactly the niners playbook.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by RDB4216:
I don't expext him to throw him under the bus, but there is nothing wrong with saying something like "the basic philosophy is solid and what we want, but we're going to make a few changes to fit our personel better". Nothing wrong with that, right? You're still backing your OC, while showing it's YOUR team and you're going to fix what's wrong.

From what he has said, I expect no changes in our gameplans or play calling. That leads me to expect to miss the playoffs yet again. So as Tom Hanks would say, "Stupid is as stupid does". Raye's playcalling is stupid, and Singletary backing him at the expense of the TEAM is stupid.

So my hope for the offseason: Raye = bye bye! Scotty = bye bye! Singletary = bye bye - or reduced to some kind of assistant just for motivational purposes. Welcome home Mike Shanahan as HC, Mike Holmgren as GM, and Norv Turner as OC!

you might get 2 out of 3
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Singletary was also asked why they scrapped the shotgun and 3 widereceiver sets in the second half, and all he kept saying was the coaches and Alex arent ready for that? If this offense we put together is ready for anything, it would be this spread offense. It also covers up our weak line pretty well. IMO.

Agreed, I can understand Sing not throwing Reye under the bus. I can understand being supportive of Reye. I can even understand to a point that Reye is getting to know his player’s strengths. What I can’t understand is that he does not have confidence in his players to run the shotgun/spread as this is the only formation that they have had any success with. This is the only formation that they have been able to sustain drives with. Perhaps, just maybe, this is a formation that suits his players. I would think that success would breed confidence.

Isn’t it that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results?
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Ramp19Stoner:

that's cool!

Hillarious!

Where's the patented Norris FB dive at?

Well if you notice, the down and distance shows 1st and 10. We save the FB dive for special occasions when it will be the most effective - like 2nd and 20!
Share 49ersWebzone