LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Plain and Simple Why We Lost to the Colts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We lost and that was to be expected given the opponent.

On the bright side;

Our defense played about as well as any defense has played the colts this year. Held their running game to nearly zip, sacked manning 3 times, forced four 3 and outs. Didn't allow any really big plays.

Our offense could have been better, but given the state of our OL and the game plan itself I wasn't surprised. I though Alex played pretty well, I would give him B rating, the int was a tippped ball.

Crabtree took another step forward and looks like a legitimate NFL receiver despite missing all that time. I can't wait too see how he performs once he gets comfortable.
It would have been great to steal a win because we were ever so close, just as with Minnesota. But the truth of the matter is that at this time Indi is a better team and has better players. But we are getting closer and sooner or later it will happen and we will be on equal footing.
You know the irony of us losing is they showed us EXACTLY what we should have done to beat the Vikes in the 4th. With about 5:45 left on the clock they dinked and dunked their way up the field to eat the remaining time up.

NOT run, run, run, and punt to an offense that you had a hard time stopping.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by danimal:
pound for pound their players are better than ours.

That is the simplest explanation of why the Niners lost.

Dan is absolutely right, their players are 4 points better than ours.

HA HA... You just posted the following.

anyone that knows football would have thought we would have been run out of the building

U obviously felt the same way as I did, that the Colts are a much better team than the 49ers. LOL...hypocritical much?
defense played well and we only lost by 4. The Offense played well when we opened it up again.

Reason we lost: Offensive play calling. We can not play with a one score lead and hope not to make a mistake, we have to keep moving the ball and scoring points. Especially when the D did so well and against a good offense like Indy. Put this one on the offensive coaching
  • 49erJeff
  • Info N/A
I'm going to have to go with "Conservative Offence Play Calling" What Smith did with 1:44 left in the 1st half, was out the window in the second half. We can't expect to beat a team like the Colts by only 2 point, unless we're scoring with 0 time left on the clock. The Niners need to start spreading it out more with 3 or 4 WR sets, and having Smith in the shotgun mode. We Spread it out more, Gore gets more room to roam. It's just that simple.

Go Niners!!

anyone that knows football would have thought we would have been run out of the building

U obviously felt the same way as I did, that the Colts are a much better team than the 49ers. LOL...hypocritical much?

I thought it would be a close game, but I didn't expect a win, but I am a homer...I don't know what cherry picking part of something I posted about peoples unrealistic expectations going into Indianapolis has to do with what I posted here, nice attempt to spin though, G.W. would be proud of you! (not to mention sabrason)
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erJeff:
I'm going to have to go with "Conservative Offence Play Calling" What Smith did with 1:44 left in the 1st half, was out the window in the second half. We can't expect to beat a team like the Colts by only 2 point, unless we're scoring with 0 time left on the clock. The Niners need to start spreading it out more with 3 or 4 WR sets, and having Smith in the shotgun mode. We Spread it out more, Gore gets more room to roam. It's just that simple.

Go Niners!!

To open up the offense you need a OC that knows how to do that...Raye is not that guy, never will be and we won't see it happen until he gets canned. Sing is a rookie and is sticking to what he knows but he seems to adapt quick, maybe seeing the signs that this team is not the 80's bears.
Turnovers and 3rd down convertions.
Originally posted by 49erJeff:

Go Niners!!

Agreed. Raye's playcalling while sharp at times, is more of a hindrance than anything else. I don't get what's so hard about it. Smith does really well working out of shotgun, and our offense looks really good in the hurry up so why stop doing BOTH OF THOSE THINGS THAT WORKED BEST in the second half?

It's mind boggling.

If it turns out Raye full autonomy then I'd like to see Sing counsel him on making some common sense adjustments. If Sing is comfortable with things as they are and doesn't see a need to change then he needs to be released after the season.

I think he's a very good coach and all, but I'm beyond frustrated watching an average offense that I know can be MUCH better if they just went with what's working.

We lost because of this guy's playcalling....
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Here are the reasons:

1. Two turnovers for us, none for them

2. Running game and ball control. Yes Frank gore had a 64 yard run for the TD. Take that away and he is 12 carries for 27 yards. We basically have no running game hence no ball control and no balanced offense.

3. Overall the defense played excellent. However, the inability to stop key plays on 3rd down in the late stages of the game killed us. Look what Dallas Clark did. Chalk this up to experience and coaching on the Colts side.

The team has gotten much better in the passing game, but we just can't control the ball on the ground.

Plain and Simple, they scored more points than us...
Jimmy Raye
This is our problem:

I thought it would be a close game, but I didn't expect a win, but I am a homer...I don't know what cherry picking part of something I posted about peoples unrealistic expectations going into Indianapolis has to do with what I posted here, nice attempt to spin though, G.W. would be proud of you! (not to mention sabrason)

hey you should be proud of me Memphis. I have another "I told you so" that is pretty ripe currently. It is one I have yet to bust out and is being talked about on Niner talk now.

I guess I will take a high road on this one. And I know this is going to be hard to believe...but I was selling him months ago...even though he did NOT sleep with my girlfriend. I know....weird
Share 49ersWebzone