LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

Singletary's Approval Rating

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Singletary's Approval Rating

Sing is doing a good job. I think he will adapt to our players strengths. He knows this. He knows he has to. He's just not going to come out and announce it.

Probably wants to keep opponents guessing.

That said, the conservative sht we saw last week can't happen.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He sucks.

Week 11, 1980. Bill Walsh was 5-22 as head coach. you were one of those people saying he was horrible, and needs to go. way to go dude. great instincts.

be more patient. successful coaches dont just walk in and go 13-3 and win the super bowl. calm down. im glad no one on this board is in charge of anything in the 49ers organization. everyone pulls the plug so early.

Yeah, Bill Walsh's team was 5-22, but you could see how his team was getting better and better week after week, you could clearly see his offensive genius and game management on the field. Do you see that with Sing? Like Ali G says: Ich don't think so.

Actually, yes. I do see the team improving. The defense is tightening up, and the offense is starting to hit its stride. It seems like it's only a matter of time before everything comes together. It helps that the schedule softens up too.

And exactly how has the offense improved so far when we are in the bottom of every offensive category?

We're actually moving the ball and staying in games against quality teams? Try not to be so narrow-minded. Some things don't show up in statistics. Our offense was pathetic under Shaun Hill. Alex Smith isn't going to change the statistics in 1.5 games.

Thanks for the advise and I'll try to open my mind, but meanwhile, how many time do you run the ball behind Chilo Rachal when you know very well the guy can't run block. How many times did you hear Sing saying that the Ol line was going to get better and there will be changes and you wait as a fan and see nothing is done. Are kidding? You take Gore's three long runs a way and you get nothing in the running game. You have to adapt and improvise, do you see that from Raye? Be honest.
  • B650
  • Veteran
He sucks.

Week 11, 1980. Bill Walsh was 5-22 as head coach. you were one of those people saying he was horrible, and needs to go. way to go dude. great instincts.

be more patient. successful coaches dont just walk in and go 13-3 and win the super bowl. calm down. im glad no one on this board is in charge of anything in the 49ers organization. everyone pulls the plug so early.

Yeah, Bill Walsh's team was 5-22, but you could see how his team was getting better and better week after week, you could clearly see his offensive genius and game management on the field. Do you see that with Sing? Like Ali G says: Ich don't think so.

Actually, yes. I do see the team improving. The defense is tightening up, and the offense is starting to hit its stride. It seems like it's only a matter of time before everything comes together. It helps that the schedule softens up too.

And exactly how has the offense improved so far when we are in the bottom of every offensive category?

We're actually moving the ball and staying in games against quality teams? Try not to be so narrow-minded. Some things don't show up in statistics. Our offense was pathetic under Shaun Hill. Alex Smith isn't going to change the statistics in 1.5 games.

Thanks for the advise and I'll try to open my mind, but meanwhile, how many time do you run the ball behind Chilo Rachal when you know very well the guy can't run block. How many times did you hear Sing saying that the Ol line was going to get better and there will be changes and you wait as a fan and see nothing is done. Are kidding? You take Gore's three long runs a way and you get nothing in the running game. You have to adapt and improvise, do you see that from Raye? Be honest.

I agree with you that we should stop running the ball up the gut over and over because it isn't working. We need to mix up our running plays, maybe even spread everyone out and run the ball without a FB.

Do I see Raye adapting and improvising? Actually, I do. Ever since Smith has been the QB, the play calling seems to be different. We're more aggressive and we're throwing the ball down the field more often. It's still not perfect, but it's miles ahead now than when Shaun Hill was in there. I still think we need to get even more aggressive. We should've tried to put away the Colts, not hide under a rock and continue to run the ball when it was obvious that we could pass on them. This is something that I hope Raye learns from, and learns from fast. Every single game from here on out is a must-win.
  • Veteran
He sucks.

I agree with you that we should stop running the ball up the gut over and over because it isn't working. We need to mix up our running plays, maybe even spread everyone out and run the ball without a FB.

Do I see Raye adapting and improvising? Actually, I do. Ever since Smith has been the QB, the play calling seems to be different. We're more aggressive and we're throwing the ball down the field more often. It's still not perfect, but it's miles ahead now than when Shaun Hill was in there. I still think we need to get even more aggressive. We should've tried to put away the Colts, not hide under a rock and continue to run the ball when it was obvious that we could pass on them. This is something that I hope Raye learns from, and learns from fast. Every single game from here on out is a must-win.

I agree with you on everything except for Raye, I honestly don't believe he is imaginative enough to makeup for the lack of talent. Its one thing to have the talent another when you don't. Remember Barry Switzer? Even he won a SB with the Cowboys when he had all that talent. We simply don't have the horses and the only way we can get ahead is to play to our strength and i don't see that happening. I don't see Raye really wanting to open up the play book and be creative to cover the short comings. Every time he runs behind one the guards i sit there and wonder if he knows what he is doing.
  • carl
  • Veteran
I do like Singletary.

I even understand why he replaced Martz. But now I'm realizing that was a mistake. At least with Martz we were putting up some points.

The issue this year is obviously the lack of scoring on offense. Not sure if that's all Rayes fault or not. It's not like we were setting NFL records before he came.

It would be nice to see them open up the passing game with some spread shotgun formations. Alex has obviously had a lot of success in that formation this season. Plus it helps make up for our unimpressive pass blocking. But I fear that we'll run the same old unsuccessful crap that we've been doing all season.

At least we haven't seen the "Taser" in a while.
Share 49ersWebzone