LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

Im "happy" that we LOST........

Shop Find 49ers gear online
LOL at the perpetual running gun battle between pessimists and optimists.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Oh, who am I kidding. Im PISSED that we lost. This has become an all too common theme here in San Fran. Start out with a bang, f**k it up in the middle, and finish strong to give the fans false hope for the following year. Well, Im sick of this s**t.

I hope we pull out of this mess.......I really do. But if we're going to f**k up, then Im hoping we f**k up REAL BAD. Cause Im sick of this "finish strong" and "fight to the end" BS. I dont want 7-9 and 8-8 records anymore. I want to WIN, and if that equates to us feeling embarrassed by season's end (just so Niner brass can get it into their thick heads that this team is NOT championship caliber), so be it.

Since drafting Alex Smith, we have done NOTHING to address the quarterback situation. This is not a bash Alex Smith thread. However, it's no mystery that the QB spot has been a glaring need for the past 2-3 years, and all we've done to address it is to draft a project guy in the late rounds. During this time, we've relied on two very inconsistent QBs (who have given us false hopes) and a make shift line that has 2 legitimate players starting for it. Crabtree fell into our laps by sheer luck, or we'd be boasting an all-star WR lineup that should play for the pee-wee league.

Our defense has held the best (Colts/Minn/Zona) to limited offensive success, but our inept OC/coach play "not to lose" instead of "to win". This is unacceptable, especially since we have a lot of pieces in place.

Unfortunately for Singletary, his attitude...........considered to be his biggest attribute.....will be his downfall instead. We all know there's NO WAY he fires Raye by season's end. And I cant imagine York standing for this crap for too long.

Unless Sing learns to bend, and hold his coaches accountable for this mess, he'll be out by year 2 of his tenure. I just hope Shanahan is available at that time to bring back what the Niners were made for to begin with.......the WCO !

Cue the symphony for "I think I've heard this song before".
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by danimal:
just stop having stupid unrealistic expectations and seasons will be much more enjoyable people.

I predicted 7-9, and I am not happy they lost, I am bummed. But I am not losing my mind, because it all makes sense.

As long as you set realistic expectations then the Niners can only pleasantly surprise or deliver what you expected from the beginning.

At 3-0 I was pleasantly surprised. At 3-4 I am satisfied.

Funny at 3-0, I was not happy, I knew we were 3-0 in spite of the joke we had of a QB and that team was headed for 5-11. Now at 3-4 I am happy, a 4 point loss on the road to a team that will probably playing in the Super Bowl, is something to be encouraged about. The pie thrower would have lost that game 45-10, this team looks to have a future. The one under Hill did not.

If you're basing our "future success" on simply a QB switch, then you really dont see the big picture.

And I find it disappointing that fans like yourself seem content with a losing record cause thats "what you expected". Way to be a Raide.....errr.....Niner fan.

To me the big picture is it looks like the Niners are finally developing some playmakers on offense other than Gore. The biggest development is that Alex Smith is showing signs of being a legitimate NFL quarterback. Not far behind is the emergence of Davis and the clear signs that Crabtree is showing that he might well turn out to be something very special. They also have the makings of a very solid defense. They have two first round picks (both are probably going to be mid-round where some good players will be there to be had) in next years draft. When in the last six years has the future looked brighter?

I remember back in 80 the Niners won their first three after two consecutive 2-14 seasons. Then they lost something like 8 in a row. But they looked like they were finally coming around and showing signs they would be competitive in the future. I was encouraged; I liked the new QB from Notre Dame. So I think the big picture extends beyond this season. Also, if you think Raider fans are content with losing, visit one of their fan forums sometime. The difference between them and Niner fans is that I don't see a lot of optimism for the future there.

[ Edited by BHulman on Nov 4, 2009 at 17:47:43 ]
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by danimal:
just stop having stupid unrealistic expectations and seasons will be much more enjoyable people.

I predicted 7-9, and I am not happy they lost, I am bummed. But I am not losing my mind, because it all makes sense.

As long as you set realistic expectations then the Niners can only pleasantly surprise or deliver what you expected from the beginning.

At 3-0 I was pleasantly surprised. At 3-4 I am satisfied.

Funny at 3-0, I was not happy, I knew we were 3-0 in spite of the joke we had of a QB and that team was headed for 5-11. Now at 3-4 I am happy, a 4 point loss on the road to a team that will probably playing in the Super Bowl, is something to be encouraged about. The pie thrower would have lost that game 45-10, this team looks to have a future. The one under Hill did not.

If you're basing our "future success" on simply a QB switch, then you really dont see the big picture.

And I find it disappointing that fans like yourself seem content with a losing record cause thats "what you expected". Way to be a Raide.....errr.....Niner fan.

To me the big picture is it looks like the Niners are finally developing some playmakers on offense other than Gore. The biggest development is that Alex Smith is showing signs of being a legitimate NFL quarterback. Not far behind is the emergence of Davis and the clear signs that Crabtree is showing that he might well turn out to be something very special. They also have the makings of a very solid defense. They have two first round picks (both are probably going to be mid-round where some good players will be there to be had) in next years draft. When in the last six years has the future looked brighter?

I remember back in 80 the Niners won their first three after two consecutive 2-14 seasons. Then they lost something like 8 in a row. But they looked like they were finally coming around and showing signs they would be competitive in the future. I was encouraged; I liked the new QB from Notre Dame. So I think the big picture extends beyond this season. Also, if you think Raider fans are content with losing, visit one of their fan forums sometime. The difference between them and Niner fans is that I don't see a lot of optimism for the future there.

Again, you're putting too much into Smith. This is the same trap we've fallen into the past few years, and it's a major reason why the QB situation has not been addressed. As for the development of other players on offense, I dont know who you're referring to. Sure, Crabtree has been a nice surprise, but everyone else on the unit.......meh.

When you have mediocre players on offense, you can offset that deficiency by having a decent QB. Thats why teams like the Pats, Saints, Giants, and Vikings look so good in the passing game. Mediocre-to-below-average receivers, but above average QBs leading them.

I have hope for Nate Davis, but we need to bridge the time before he gets his start. A proven QB could go a long way until then....
Share 49ersWebzone