There are 216 users in the forums

Thoughts on the Colts game (Jimmy Raye, Alex Smith, yada yada)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GORO:
Jimmy Raye is a first time OC. He entered the season with a vision of a power running game and a passing game that was TE friendly. Now that Alex is the Qb, I pray that he starts to open things up and maybe if it continues to be effective the no huddle offense might work for us.

But old men are stubborn and Sing has forgotten that a good Defense is important in the playoffs, but to make the playoffs you have to score more points then your opponent.

Raye has been an OC for many, many years. 11 to be exact, we are limited by the personnel and injuries on the offensive side of the ball. I would rather have Turner calling plays for us, and considering his history with Smith and Gore, and how much Singletary likes him, it might not be too far fetched if he returns here if canned by the bolts.
Bottom line - this is the third game this season that the 9ers coulda, shoulda, didn't win. I'd say most of the blame is on the coaches. The team goes passive at the wrong time and gives the game away. It's like the ghost of Nowin takes over at the worst possible moment. Sing's a young coach and still learning his job. I'm just hoping he will learn, rather than digging in and making the same mistakes week after week. The jury is still out, I'm afraid.
Originally posted by GORO:
Jimmy Raye is a first time OC. He entered the season with a vision of a power running game and a passing game that was TE friendly. Now that Alex is the Qb, I pray that he starts to open things up and maybe if it continues to be effective the no huddle offense might work for us.

But old men are stubborn and Sing has forgotten that a good Defense is important in the playoffs, but to make the playoffs you have to score more points then your opponent.

Actually Raye is a pretty experienced offensive coordinator. He first offensive coordinator job was with the Rams in 83 or 84. He has had that job with the Rams twice. He has also served as O Coordinator of the Bucs, the Patriots, the Redskins, the Chiefs and the Raiders. That might be some kind of record for most teams as an offensive coordinator. So he doesn't get the pass on being a first-time OC.
Originally posted by ninerball:
I think the play-calling cost us the game. Sure, the tackles needed protection, but then there is no excuse for the predictable play calls. The second half drove me nuts.

The O-Line can't run block. That's evident to everyone. So, please anyone, why do we call two run plays and then face 3rd and 7 or 8? And expect the QB to bail us out? That's retarded! QBs need to throw to get into rhythm. It does not take a rocket scientist to explain why the 9ers have the most 3 and outs in NFL.

Passing only when behind is driving me insane. It's almost like we're apologetic for taking the lead. And we keep running till the 3 and outs allow the opposition offense to get into rhythm and score some points! Or even in the worst case, get better field position. WTF!! And then we try to play catchup. This is as much of a joke a Nolan's on-side kicks to show aggressiveness.

If we had opened up the O and, shudder, scored another TD, then maybe Peyton would have gotten more desperate and thrown some picks. Add to that the whole punt return drama. Why the f*** would you risk injuring your top CB? Sure, hind-sight is 20-20, but another truly wtf decision. This stone age coaching staff will be the reason my TV gets viciously attacked one of these days.

[ Edited by ninerball on Nov 1, 2009 at 19:51:40 ]

I shake my head as I read my post from 2 years back. Just night and day. Hats off to all my fellow die hard fans for enduring the years after Mooch!

Still early, but thank you coach Harbaugh for bringing the 9ers back to a place where we start critiquing wins. Thank you for bringing creativity and innovation back to the team. Most of all thank you for bringing fun back into 9ers football.
[ Edited by ninerball on Oct 31, 2011 at 10:21 AM ]
I think the play-calling cost us the game. Sure, the tackles needed protection, but then there is no excuse for the predictable play calls. The second half drove me nuts.

The O-Line can't run block. That's evident to everyone. So, please anyone, why do we call two run plays and then face 3rd and 7 or 8? And expect the QB to bail us out? That's retarded! QBs need to throw to get into rhythm. It does not take a rocket scientist to explain why the 9ers have the most 3 and outs in NFL.

Passing only when behind is driving me insane. It's almost like we're apologetic for taking the lead. And we keep running till the 3 and outs allow the opposition offense to get into rhythm and score some points! Or even in the worst case, get better field position. WTF!! And then we try to play catchup. This is as much of a joke a Nolan's on-side kicks to show aggressiveness.

If we had opened up the O and, shudder, scored another TD, then maybe Peyton would have gotten more desperate and thrown some picks. Add to that the whole punt return drama. Why the f*** would you risk injuring your top CB? Sure, hind-sight is 20-20, but another truly wtf decision. This stone age coaching staff will be the reason my TV gets viciously attacked one of these days.

[ Edited by ninerball on Nov 1, 2009 at 19:51:40 ]

I shake my head as I read my post from 2 years back. Just night and day. Hats off to all my fellow die hard fans for enduring the years after Mooch!

Still early, but thank you coach Harbaugh for bringing the 9ers back to a place where we start critiquing wins. Thank you for bringing creativity and innovation back to the team. Most of all thank you for bringing fun back into 9ers football.

The last couple of years, have been tough, seeing talent go to waste, these guys have such a short time to shine, F-ing digleberry and no-win, stole good years from guy like Gore! I'm happy to see this team play up to it's talent level, this is a special year, we have a legit shot for the first time in a long time!
Share 49ersWebzone