LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

Staley hurt?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
adam snyder played horrible barry sims played pretty good, we just need a couple more pieces to this line and maybe they can be........... "meh"
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by jcs:
Not to hate on staley...he is our best Olineman but his play has been average in the grand scheme of things. The loss is a loss...our Oline won't get worse or better with or without him because it's already just plain bad.

agreed....Staley has npt progressed the way he Niner Talk think that he is...

point is he's out 1st or 2nd best OL on a weak unit WE NEED HIM OUT THERE. We also signed him to a very long contract, he's a young player the franchise needs this guy on the field.
Not to hate on staley...he is our best Olineman but his play has been average in the grand scheme of things. The loss is a loss...our Oline won't get worse or better with or without him because it's already just plain bad.

I disagree, he has played very solid at LT with basically no help. He did a tremendous job going up against John Abraham and Mario Williams. Joe Staley is a very good LT in this league, he is our only good offensive lineman.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

I disagree, he has played very solid at LT with basically no help. He did a tremendous job going up against John Abraham and Mario Williams. Joe Staley is a very good LT in this league, he is our only good offensive lineman.

Really? Losing our left tackle wont make things worse? Ok.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

I would say after QB, LT might be the most important position on offense. Losing Staley is huge not sure how anyone could miss that.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Last year he was at the bottom of the league for starting LT's and sacks given up...this year was progressing much the same.

Last year he was at the bottom of the league for starting LT's and sacks given up...this year was progressing much the same.

I think he's been doing great -- he gets love in the pregame shows, by the announcers, and some media. Here's an example.

"Staley is probably the best offensive lineman in the NFC West. The 49ers need him."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/8084/wrap-up-colts-18-49ers-14
I totally agree. I feel if Staley had been in there all game we could have won. There were several sacks that killed drives in the second half. I know Sims played well, but he was getting more help from the running back than Snyder. If Staley had been in, he could have handled Freeney solo, and Snyder could have had the extra help.

I think he will be ok though. In my playing days, I was a left tackle and experienced the same type on injury. As long as nothing tore, he should be able to play against the Titans... probably not at 100% though.

One more think... why isn't Sims playing more at LT? He seems like he would be a better option there. Snyder is a guard, no matter how hard he trys not to be. I would go with Sims at RT, and Snyder of Wragge at RG.

Be positive, we are only 1-2 competent O-linemen away from being playoff contenders... even with Rayes blah play calling.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Be positive, we are only 1-2 competent O-linemen away from being playoff contenders... even with Rayes blah play calling.

This might be true, but in the NFL you can't let opportunity slip away, because it takes a LONG time to get it back.

Sure, we might draft or sign two fantastic, world-beating lineman next year.

But then something else always changes, and you are left to fix that issue.

This team could be better. I expected them to be better now, dammit.

He gave up a sack to Jared Allen and John Abraham in 6 games. I can't remember any other sacks he gave up. (Mario Williams sack was noy on Staley. It was a designed play to leave Williams unblocked but Crabtree missed the audible).

That's pretty good protection.

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Nov 1, 2009 at 21:59:17 ]
  • dj43
Staley will be missed if he is out for any length of time.

That having been said, Barry Sims was terrific today. He shut down both Mathis and Freeney. Neither one of them touched Smith while playing on Sims' side. If he continues to play like that, the LT spot will be fine. The trouble continues to be Snyder and Rachal.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

Quote:
I would say after QB, LT might be the most important position on offense. Losing Staley is huge not sure how anyone could miss that

Completely agree

Losing Staley for the year would be a brutal loss for the Offense
The Clements injury sucks also he is a really good run support corner for what he lacks in coverage skills/mental lapses
Staley is very good and it will surely hurt us. Sims played great and if Stayle comes back fine then I'm all for putting Sims at RT and try anyone else at RG cause Rachal just stinks big time. If not what about keeping Sims at LT and Stayle at RT? Just saying.
Not to hate on staley...he is our best Olineman

not true. Eric Heitmann is our best OL. easily.
Share 49ersWebzone