LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Singletary's Postgame Presser

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by BOSS2185:
U GUYS ARE IDIOTS IF U THINK THEY SHOULD GET RID OF SINGLETARY ARE OFFENSE DID LOOK GOOD THERE WERE JUST A COUPLE PENALTYS AND BAD OLINE THAT LOST THE GAME.... LAST YEAR ALL U WERE ON SINGS NUTS NOW U DONT WANT HIM AT THE START OF THE SEASON ALL U WERE ON HILLS NUTS NOW UR NOT... THIS TEAM IS GOOD THEY WILL GET IT TOGETHER AND SING IS THE REASON WHY LOOK AT VERNON.

LOL.......

best laugh since looking at the "greatest thread of all time"
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Chief:
"The offense, for the most part looked sharp."

What in the Hell are you talking about Mike?

Dammit, he's been infected with nolanitus. It was only a matter of time...

yep
just takle a look at this and you'll be convinced
sing postgame conference
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's becoming painfully obvious to me that Singletary just isn't THE right guy to lead our team. I respect and admire him...and he's brought some commitment and passion to the team. However, that's just not enough...I'm convinced there needs to be a change after the season. I know one year may not seem "fair", but the NFL means not for long, and in Singletary's case, replacing him with a "real" X's and O's guy would seem to be the right move for the future of the franchise. My guy is Mike Shanahan...just think for a minute about him being in charge...think we'd have lost those painfully close games this season? Possible, but I doubt it. For starters, he'd have our offense in much better shape...that alone would translate into 2-3 more wins than we have now. We're arguably a stud pass rusher and a real ballhawking FS away from having a legit top 10 defense, so a head coach like Shanahan could focus on the offense and return the Niners to a perienial playoff team.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's becoming painfully obvious to me that Singletary just isn't THE right guy to lead our team. I respect and admire him...and he's brought some commitment and passion to the team. However, that's just not enough...I'm convinced there needs to be a change after the season. I know one year may not seem "fair", but the NFL means not for long, and in Singletary's case, replacing him with a "real" X's and O's guy would seem to be the right move for the future of the franchise. My guy is Mike Shanahan...just think for a minute about him being in charge...think we'd have lost those painfully close games this season? Possible, but I doubt it. For starters, he'd have our offense in much better shape...that alone would translate into 2-3 more wins than we have now. We're arguably a stud pass rusher and a real ballhawking FS away from having a legit top 10 defense, so a head coach like Shanahan could focus on the offense and return the Niners to a perienial playoff team.

...Seriously? Guys.... this needs to stop. Mike Shanahan hasn't won a freaking playoff game since John Elway was his quarterback (and I was in high school).

Can someone please tell me WHAT he's done in recent memory for everyone to think it's a good idea to hire him? I'm dead serious. I don't get it. Regarding the whole "X's and O's" thing I'd like to know how so many 'Zoners have come to have such intimate knowledge of Coach Sing's football smarts. Personally, I find it hard to believe that a guy who's played football for 11 years, and coached for the better part of 5 knows nothing about X's and O's.

But I'll wait until someone furnishes proof.

And to inject a little reality into this thread, the fact is you'd be hard pressed to find a coach that knows both Offense and Defense (the only one that pops in my mind is Bill Belechick). Every coach has an Achilles heel. I could take that argument and apply to any coach and still be "right."

Using some recent Super Bowl winners as examples:

-Mike Tomlin can't call offense. Is he a bad coach?

-Believe it or not, neither could Tony Dungy. Think he's a bad coach too?

-How about Brian Billick? He was supposedly an Offensive guru, but never could get it on track in Baltimore which ultimately cost him his job.

Hopefully my point is clear. Every Head Coach is only as good as his coordinators. Stop acting like Sing should be some kind of exception. That isn't to say that he's without fault (I'm firmly in the "Raye Sucks" camp and Mike does bear some responsibility for that). In my mind, our biggest problems on Offense are easily mitigated by making a few small changes (namely letting Smith work out of Shotgun more). But all in all, I think that Sing is the right guy for the job.

I remain hopeful that he can get it turned around.
  • Pedro61
  • Info N/A
Baltien, all good points.

I'm with valerod on page 1. We are improving.........

It's not all about x's and o's. At the Ravens, Nolan was one of 'the' x's and o's top dogs in the league............he's proven at Denver he still is. How did that help us?

Manusky and the D are improving.........Sings is doing his job. The O is struggling, but Raye wasnt anyone's first choice. We're improving this year, we are still a way from being a legit contender though. For now i'll stick with some continual improvement, and give it a year or two we'll have a couple of better OL, the rest of the OL will have developed, we will have an elite pass rusher, and then we'll be a lot more attractive to great OC's........

We're going in the right direction. Jumping on the bandwagon for an ex HC/Niner who is available is crazy.......

..........but Shanahan? really?

Let's get hooked up with Holmgren!!!!!
you guys are aware hiring a new coach like Shanny would mean we most likely get a New qb right?

So we would wait another 2-3 years to see something happen with this team.
Originally posted by baltien:

...Seriously? Guys.... this needs to stop. Mike Shanahan hasn't won a freaking playoff game since John Elway was his quarterback (and I was in high school).

Can someone please tell me WHAT he's done in recent memory for everyone to think it's a good idea to hire him? I'm dead serious. I don't get it. Regarding the whole "X's and O's" thing I'd like to know how so many 'Zoners have come to have such intimate knowledge of Coach Sing's football smarts. Personally, I find it hard to believe that a guy who's played football for 11 years, and coached for the better part of 5 knows nothing about X's and O's.

And to inject a little reality into this thread, the fact is you'd be hard pressed to find a coach that knows both Offense and Defense (the only one that pops in my mind is Bill Belechick). Every coach has an Achilles heel. I could take that argument and apply to any coach and still be "right."

-How about Brian Billick? He was supposedly an Offensive guru, but never could get it on track in Baltimore which ultimately cost him his job.

Hopefully my point is clear. Every Head Coach is only as good as his coordinators. Stop acting like Sing should be some kind of exception. That isn't to say that he's without fault (I'm firmly in the "Raye Sucks" camp and Mike does bear some responsibility for that). In my mind, our biggest problems on Offense are easily mitigated by making a few small changes (namely letting Smith work out of Shotgun more). But all in all, I think that Sing is the right guy for the job.

I guess you don't remember the Broncos playing in the AFC championship game in 2005?

Mike Tomlin was a WR, and has coached on both sides of the ball during his career. So to say he doesn't know anything about offense shows a lack of knowledge.

Tony Dungy only won the SB with Peyton Manning, you don't really need a good offensive head coach when the QB is the one they let call all the plays.

And if not getting on track means winning the Super Bowl like Brian Billick did, sign me up.

You're missing the difference between Singletary and those other guys though, they have all coached for a long long time. Even a young guy like Tomlin has been coaching for 15 years almost. Singletary started coaching in 2003 and had never coached anything other then LBs.
  • ptw1
  • Veteran

If it wasn't for Billick lucking into an all-time great D, he would have been gone alot sooner. The difference between Dungy/Tomlin is they do not get in the way of the OC's. Both of them allow(ed) their OC to play to the strength of their team. Look at Pitt, when they best shot to win was to run, Tomlin allowed them to be a running team. Now, their best option is to pass, and He allows them to pass. Sing hasn't done that. While Raye is a great OC, the way he calls the games now isn't consistent w/how he has been in the past. Not being willing to change is the biggest downfall for new coaches.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
We need a competent OC. Singletary is a good Head Coach.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
It's gonna take someone in management to tell Singletary that he needs to stay aggressive even when he has such a huge lead like 1 point against a team like the colts. You would think that was a no brainer, but I guess not. I don't get this coaching staff at all. From the roster moves, to the way they call a game. It's annoying as hell. Wonder who they'll let return punt next week.

coach singletary takes time to motivate member of ownership and all members of senior management on weekly basis, more wen situation calls for it. Therefore, ownership and sr management are always motivated to support coach sing's decisions. It just feel so woonderful when we do so.

Originally posted by ptw1:

If it wasn't for Billick lucking into an all-time great D, he would have been gone alot sooner. The difference between Dungy/Tomlin is they do not get in the way of the OC's. Both of them allow(ed) their OC to play to the strength of their team. Look at Pitt, when they best shot to win was to run, Tomlin allowed them to be a running team. Now, their best option is to pass, and He allows them to pass. Sing hasn't done that.While Raye is a great OC, the way he calls the games now isn't consistent w/how he has been in the past. Not being willing to change is the biggest downfall for new coaches.

Agreed. I wasn't saying that Sing is the same caliber of coach of those listed above -- that remains to be seen. All I'm saying is just because he can't call Offense that doesn't mean he's a bad (head) coach.

The examples of coaches who pretty much only know one side of the ball is long.
And I fully agree that only those that learn to adapt and play to the strength of their personnel thrive.

[ Edited by baltien on Nov 2, 2009 at 07:02:31 ]
Originally posted by boomer49er:

I guess you don't remember the Broncos playing in the AFC championship game in 2005?

Mike Tomlin was a WR, and has coached on both sides of the ball during his career. So to say he doesn't know anything about offense shows a lack of knowledge.

Tony Dungy only won the SB with Peyton Manning, you don't really need a good offensive head coach when the QB is the one they let call all the plays.

And if not getting on track means winning the Super Bowl like Brian Billick did, sign me up.

You're missing the difference between Singletary and those other guys though, they have all coached for a long long time. Even a young guy like Tomlin has been coaching for 15 years almost. Singletary started coaching in 2003 and had never coached anything other then LBs.

-I stand corrected. Two playoff victories (that came in the same year) over the last TEN years. That's.....a good thing?

-Mike Tomlin was a WR....in high school. His entire professional coaching career has been on the defensive side of the ball. If Bruce Arians quit tomorrow and and Tomlin took over playcalling, do you think Pitt would have the same success?

-Your points about Dungy and Billick only help to solidify my point. If Dungy didn't have Peyton Manning and had call plays for the Offense himself does Indy still win the Super Bowl? As far as Billick, when he won the SB In 2001 Baltimore hadn't scored an Offensive TD in the entire month of October. Baltimore had no Offense to speak during his entire tenure, which ultimately led to his dismissal.

Pretty sad when you look at his resume.

All those examples prove that coaches live and die by their coordinators. And as stated before, I'm not saying Sing is in the same league as these guys. It's far too early to say one way or another. I'm saying that we need to get over this "he doesn't know X's and O's" crap.

That argument has no merit whatsoever.

[ Edited by baltien on Nov 2, 2009 at 08:05:27 ]
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boomer49er:

-I stand corrected. Two playoff victories (that came in the same year) over the last TEN years. That's.....a good thing?

-Mike Tomlin was a WR....in high school. His entire professional coaching career has been on the defensive side of the ball. If Bruce Arians quit tomorrow and and Tomlin took over playcalling, do you think Pitt would have the same success?

-Your points about Dungy and Billick only help to solidify my point. If Dungy didn't have Peyton Manning and had call plays for the Offense himself does Indy still win the Super Bowl? As far as Billick, when he won the SB In 2001 Baltimore hadn't scored an Offensive TD in the entire month of October. Pretty sad when you look at his resume.

(I live in Baltimore so I recall that year quite well.)

All those examples prove that coaches live and die by their coordinators. And as stated before, I'm not saying Sing is in the same league as these guys. It's far too early to say one way or another. I'm saying that we need to get over this "he doesn't know X's and O's" crap.

That argument has no merit whatsoever.

Me too

And I agree with you. Him not knowing x's and 's isnt the issue. Getting the right people in and trusting them is the issue. That is what has yet to be determined.
Originally posted by Chief:
"The offense, for the most part looked sharp."

What in the Hell are you talking about Mike?

Aside from Crabtree causing 2 turnovers I think it did. That is the best the offense has looked all season for a full 4 quarters (and if those 2 turnovers don't happen it's a totally different game).
can't really fault the int. on crabtree. It was out of his reach, he tried to make a play and it didn't end well. You also can't fault smith, he tried to put the ball where only crabtree could get it.
Share 49ersWebzone