There are 243 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vernon Davis: Are you kidding me!

Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I freaked out on that penalty. Yes it was called on Morgan, but Vernon was the one standing there, acting like he was the man. That did lead to a field goal. And you know what? If they didnt get a field goal, the score would have been 15-14. When we drove down to their 35 yard line, we wouldnt have had to try and pass the ball deep, which resulted in a sack. I dont care what you guys say. The penalty was absolutely un-acceptable.

what are you talking about?

the penalty was on Morgan....he went to the ground....players are not allowed to go to the ground for a TD celebration....its the same thing as when the colts player picked off a pass and scored and slid a couple weeks ago....

If a player goes to the ground in a celebration there will be a penalty.....Davis Posing was fine...If Morgan would have squatted instead of taking a knee there would have been no penalty
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers18:
I freaked out on that penalty. Yes it was called on Morgan, but Vernon was the one standing there, acting like he was the man. That did lead to a field goal. And you know what? If they didnt get a field goal, the score would have been 15-14. When we drove down to their 35 yard line, we wouldnt have had to try and pass the ball deep, which resulted in a sack. I dont care what you guys say. The penalty was absolutely un-acceptable.

the penalty was on Morgan....he went to the ground....players are not allowed to go to the ground for a TD celebration....its the same thing as when the colts player picked off a pass and scored and slid a couple weeks ago....

If a player goes to the ground in a celebration there will be a penalty.....Davis Posing was fine...If Morgan would have squatted instead of taking a knee there would have been no penalty

On that note, I wish Hill was our starting WR besides Crabtree. Morgan should be our #3 WR and Bruce should only play on third-down.
He is TE not a reciever! He doesn't run very many sideline routes so he is not use to tapping his feet. Especially the way the Niners use him, even though he goes out like a reciever he rarely leaves the middle of the field. I know a he should know this a pro but if you don't do something very often you can forget the proper way to do it and be more seceptible to having mental lapses.

He made a mistake and I'm sure if you ask him or if he gets asked he will own up and say he was not use to being in that situation and didn't do the right the thing. I'm sure he will work and the part of his game. It didn't look to me like he was not giving his full effort in this game. The guy has been lights out for us this year, he has been working on his game and it defintely shows. He was having alot of drops before this year. So he has been staying after most practices by himself this year and taking catches from the machine (sorry I don't know the name) at close range to improve his hands. That doesn't sound like a guy not giving his full effort.

It looks like he has dropped the me first attitude and got on board with Singeltary's program. Give the guy a break he leads the league in TD's, he is also one of the best blocking TE in the league. What more do you want from the guy? He is only human and it is possible he just f*cked up one time in this game! That's not too bad considering the multiple mistakes some other players and coaches on the Niners are making. He defintely made up for by scoring a TD.

As far as the penalty goes it was Morgan like so many people have stated already. What's he going to do b*tch slap him and make him stop? And like Morgan said they have celebrated like this before and didn't draw a penalty. That is why they did it thinking nothing of it. Even Singletary said that that call was too much. He was actually smiling on the sideline after the penalty, but after the Colts got 3 he wasn't smiling.

So stop looking for little thing to nitpick the best TE end in the NFL so far this year. The guy is finally reaching his potential and it's not enough, he needs to be perfect! He did not give the game away for us, but you blame him when there is plenty more blame to go around like the play calling and the O-line. He actually helped us greatly by scoring a TD in the last minute of the half against the 6th ranked pass defense. It's funny when you don't like somebody how you can find something wrong with them no matter how well they are doing.

[ Edited by Ramp19Stoner on Nov 3, 2009 at 00:39:43 ]
Originally posted by global_nomad:
He's been in the end zone more than any other receiver this year. But the one time he forgets that, we have to kick off from the 15. If Indy didn't get those last three points, than we would have been playing for a FG and not had the urgency to have to find the end zone one more time.

It was pretty obvious Vernon wanted people to come up and pretend to take pics of him. If he would have throw the ball to the ref and run off the field to high fives and chest bumps like he has done the previous times this year, his team mates wouldn't have been in position to be called for excessive celebration.

That's why I blame Vernon even though the call went against 84.

And without him, we'd have scored 42 points less.

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
it wasn't on davis at all..

it was on morgan, and i called it before the ref even threw the flag...

davis was standing in the endzone posing, which is NOT excessive celebration, but then morgan came up, dropped to a knee and acted as though he was taking a photo of davis, then in the background you could see the ref pull the flag...

Yeah just a bad move by Morgan that cost us 3 points. - - - Unless Raye can become more aggressive calling plays he will continue to stunt the growth of this offense & team.

I am confused. How are those two sentences related in any way??
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
YOUR WRONG FOO!!!!!!

STOP BLAMING VERNON THE PENALTY WAS ON MORGAN

DO YOUR RESERCH B4 POSTING SOMETHING LIKE THAT NEXT TIME!!!!!!

Yea exactly,

It wasn't even on Vernon Davis, yea he scored, but it was morgan who caused the penalty
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
YOUR WRONG FOO!!!!!!

STOP BLAMING VERNON THE PENALTY WAS ON MORGAN

DO YOUR RESERCH B4 POSTING SOMETHING LIKE THAT NEXT TIME!!!!!!

Yea exactly,

It wasn't even on Vernon Davis, yea he scored, but it was morgan who caused the penalty

It's still Vernon's fault for scoring. He should've known that Morgan was out there and would get penalized. When Davis matures, he'll drop that pass and wait until Morgan is out, THEN score on the next play.
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:
Take this call with the Spencer taunting call vs the vikes + many other questionable calls & I'm starting to think the refs are flat out against us. I'm fast becoming frustrated with the NFL & the 49ers. Paying nearly $300 for sunday ticket for 8 years is getting hard to justify to my girlfriend & myself.

Sorry, but if $300 for all the NFL you can stomach is too much and your girlfriend, even has a say in it..

Then try buying Season tix with lot parking, gas, and all the booze and food and xtras that go with them. No doubt honey pie will be walking on you!

Wotz she want more than you anyway?!
Member Milestone: This is post number 400 for TommyFrazier.
At 250 lbs and with the body mass and strength that dude has, I'm pretty sure finesse plays are difficult for him. his speed and size make the force of his movements not very WR-like. He struggled with getting his arms up for a number of over the shoulder catches before this year. Take it easy. Dallas Clark was used as a comaprison..ummm...Dallas Clark could NEVER block like VD does. Give-take. You cant expect a dude with the body mass to proficiently block defensive linemen, to also move like Lynn freakin Swann.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Classic JoeCool.

I'm pissed we handed away two games now because of dumbass play.

That doesn't change the fact that it's a classic JoeCool post. You have a knack for sounding like you don't know WTF you're talking about. Sometimes I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Haha exactly. It is almost as if joecool caught Vernon with his wife. What's with the vendetta? VD is nowhere close to the reason for recent losses.
Any reason to rip on somebody after a loss I guess...

There were three players involved - any one of them could have been flagged.

As team captain, Davis must accept responsibility for perpetuating the celebration.

This was not a good game for Davis despite the TD catch. In addition to the celebration, which allowed an easy field goal for the Colts, he also dropped a very catchable pass and failed to even attempt to drag his foot to stay inbounds when it would have been easy to do so.
Originally posted by dj43:

There were three players involved - any one of them could have been flagged.

As team captain, Davis must accept responsibility for perpetuating the celebration.

This was not a good game for Davis despite the TD catch. In addition to the celebration, which allowed an easy field goal for the Colts, he also dropped a very catchable pass and failed to even attempt to drag his foot to stay inbounds when it would have been easy to do so.

Please be kidding
Some of you folks seem like you must sit around trying to think of reasons not to like players.

At least get the facts straight on who is being penalized. And jeez, what a load of BS that the guy who wasn't penalized was somehow at fault for not controlling what every other player did in the endzone. Does that logic apply to every other player on every team, or just the guy that you have decided you just don't like? If this happened with Jerry Rice, would you blame him or the dumbass 2nd year player that acted a fool?

Forty Whiners.

[ Edited by djfullshred on Nov 3, 2009 at 09:41:51 ]
they called it on Morgan but it was actually on both of them, because it was a "group celebration" which the No Fun League has banned.

Morgan was holding an imaginary camera while Davis was posing for pictures....