Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Meh...

He did about the same as Hill has all season. Less than 60% completions, less than 200 yards passing, 1TD and 1 Int... We need a real effin QB instead of these losers...

Oh, and a 74.7 QB rate... We could insert these numbers directly into Hill's stat sheet and no one would know the difference.

If you look at the stats for this game it looks like S.Hill on paper but if you watched the actual game it's obvious there's a difference and who the better QB is.If Raye didn't go vanilla most of the game Smith's stats would not only look "prettier" they would have won a game they had no business even being competitive in.

Smith's stats for the year in 1 1/2 games:

34-54 for 404yds 4td 2int 7.5avg 63%comp 95.0 rtg

Hill's stats for the year in 6 games:

87-155 for 943yds 5td 2int 6.1avg 56.1%comp 79.6 rtg

At this point Smith's stats look more favorable

The question was how he did today. Not last week, not 2006 but today. Now today, he played at the same level as Shaun Hill.

Look, all I'm saying is that this kid has not put up numbers that we as fans should be content with (just for the record neither has Hill). This type of QB play will not get us wins against good teams. Our D is just not good enough to carry poor QB play

You're overreacting he didn't play "poor" against Indy-not great,not poor but ok.

I'm overreacting? His performance was below average for NFL standards. Below average = poor to me. Just ok would = average and Good would be above average.

Look at it this way, there are several who consider Hill's QB accomplishments to be poor. Maybe this is why he is not our starting QB anymore? Alex had a Shaun Hill type of day (look at the stats). Now if Hill's stats are poor and Alex put up just as dismal numbers, then Alex's performance was poor.

goodness gracious!

You forgot to mention his left shoelace was untied for 1 min and 15 seconds during the first quarter

p.s.- of every post game report on Alex not one mentioned "Alex's performance was poor".So your analysis on Alex Smith?-
EPIC FAIL

advice:stick to your day job

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings and make you cry; but, oh-well...

So, do you need all you're info spoon fed for you or are you capable of thinking for yourself? Here's a couple spoon-fulls of reality for you...

"We have got to learn to win," Smith said. "We've got to come out there and cannot lay an egg in the second half."

"They came after us a little bit more," Singletary acknowledged. "We had the opportunity to make some plays, and a couple of dropped balls here and there, it makes a big difference in a game like this."

"Smith had his own bad moments Sunday. On one dropback, he stumbled over an offensive lineman's leg. Smith also had one hot-and-high throw that skipped off Crabtree's fingers and became a tipped-ball interception."

What's this? It's not all roses for Smith...

You may be fine with mediocrity; but, I'm not. This game, this QB play, was below average. As for the use of the word poor, maybe you should get a dictionary...

Poor: inferior or inadequate.
Alex's one good drive was not adequate to win the game. 20% on 3rd down is inadequate. Completing less than 60% of your passes and gaining less than 200 yards through the air is Inadequate. A below average passer rate indicates his performance was inferior to other QB's in this league... I could go on and on; but, for some reason, I'm sure logic is lost on you when discussing Alex...

For the record, I'm not saying Alex is a bad QB. I'm just responding to the OP's question on how Alex did on Sunday. I'm quite confident that he is going to have a good game this coming Sunday and the following Thursday...

How many passes did receivers drop to give Smith a sub 60% completion percentage?

How about that one pass where it was perfectly thrown to VD on the sideline, but VD doesn't know how to drag his feet?

How many of those 3rd down attempts were 3rd and long because of the failure of the running game to get yardage, the OL giving up sacks, or stupid penalties? The chances of converting a 3rd and long that is more than 10 yards is about 20%.

I think you need to stop being "spoon fed" your information, and look behind the numbers.

Smith made some mistakes, but so did the supporting cast.

Smith can make all the throws and IF they actually get the offense to gel, it will be quite good.

I swear, some of you guys are so butt hurt when anyone criticises Smith that you have to throw a temper tantrum... Do you even realize that I said I think he will have good games the next two weeks?

Anyways, lets go ahead and play your game... Why don't we just count the plays that we like and disregard the rest. That way, Alex can have a 100% completion rate and never will have an interception...

I know some of you are slow, so I'll spell it out again... The point of this thread is how he played on Sunday.

In order to compare his performance to the other NFL QB's we have to look at statistics and evaluate what is average. All QB's have good passes dropped and all QB's have interceptions that are not their fault; but, these are still calculated against the that QB. Of the 34 qualified QB's NFL.com recognizes, the #17, or middle spot, has a passer rate of 85.8 (Jason Campbell). Alex had a passer rate of 74.7 on Sunday which is well below average.

I don't care how you want to try and spin it, his play on Sunday was below average.
Bump this for the November 8th loss...
He did bad today. He did well first half then took a dump in the second half. Whatever. Bad game for everyone. Time to chalk it up and move on. If he lays an egg again like this it's over for Alex.

Next...
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
He did bad today. He did well first half then took a dump in the second half. Whatever. Bad game for everyone. Time to chalk it up and move on. If he lays an egg again like this it's over for Alex.

Next...

Agreed. If he plays that bad again, then even I will be done with him. Just a horrible performance and he cost us the game in the 2nd half. If Parys makes that tackle, we still win though.
I'm still with Smith. He had 2 too many INTs. Did some good things today but he need to tighten up go a little more conservative with his decision towards the end of the game. Growing pains.

This loss hurts because we had control of the game for the first half. But I'm still with this kid. That TD to J. Hill was sweet
Alex was off today. But the o line was horrible, as it has been all season. No quarterback is going to be successful behind this line.

And Adam Snyder...
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Alex was off today. But the o line was horrible, as it has been all season. No quarterback is going to be successful behind this line.

And Adam Snyder...

Succesful is one thing...creating turnovers is another. The online was bad...so was Alex.
Originally posted by Method:

Next...

Agreed. If he plays that bad again, then even I will be done with him. Just a horrible performance and he cost us the game in the 2nd half. If Parys makes that tackle, we still win though.

I'm just astonished that Alex played so recklessly in the second half. I mean geez if there was ever a time we needed Smith to be careful and cautious it was today. Dude needs to relax and just execute. He forced way too many throws. Lucky more didn't get picked.

I don't know but to me it seems like Alex is trying to establish his own identity. Today he was clearly trying to be someone who he isn't. Specifically in the second half.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

And Adam Snyder...

Succesful is one thing...creating turnovers is another. The online was bad...so was Alex.

I'm not saying he wasn't bad. 2 interceptions were tipped because smith threw the ball late, the other was just a dumb throw.

I just don't expect to see great quarterback play when the offensive line cant hold their blocks long enough for him to even complete his dropback.
Originally posted by Method:

Next...

I'm just astonished that Alex played so recklessly in the second half. I mean geez if there was ever a time we needed Smith to be careful and cautious it was today. Dude needs to relax and just execute. He forced way too many throws. Lucky more didn't get picked.

I don't know but to me it seems like Alex is trying to establish his own identity. Today he was clearly trying to be someone who he isn't. Specifically in the second half.

Meh. It looked like he was finding the right receivers on his throws but he was a tad late on most of his throws. I don't mind those type of mistakes much, but you can't throw 3 picks + a fumble and expect to win. Will always lose when that happens.

we need to have the long snapper hike to alex who is in a 20 yard shotgun.
then he wont have to throw the short passes he sucks at, every pass will be intermediate or long, he does ok with those .. and he wont get sacked.

always losing is a hell of a drug
He was OK for the first three quarters and then the old Alex resurfaced. That was an ugly final quarter.
s**tty
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He lost the game for us today.
Share 49ersWebzone