There are 172 users in the forums

How do you think Alex Smith did today?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
im starting to wonder if smith leads this team to their 1st playoff birth since 02 that some/most here will continue hating and trashing smith

Let's hope we have that problem.
im starting to wonder if smith leads this team to their 1st playoff birth since 02 that some/most here will continue hating and trashing smith

You get the feeling he is going to have to be perfect to please some. But I've been impressed that some of his biggest critics in the past are praising his play. I really hope that Alex continues to progress (he sure is looking like a legit NFL QB to me so far) and this issue can be put to rest. That would be great news for the Niners.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He played ok. However he still gets way to nervous when the game is on the line.
Originally posted by BHulman:

You get the feeling he is going to have to be perfect to please some. But I've been impressed that some of his biggest critics in the past are praising his play. I really hope that Alex continues to progress (he sure is looking like a legit NFL QB to me so far) and this issue can be put to rest. That would be great news for the Niners.

exactly and saves us from using a 1st on a qb.
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

I very well could be wrong with the Completion %. That's why I said that he would "probably" have a higher %. We don't know either way; but, with Smith's previous accuracy issues, I'm going to award this area to Hill until Smith proves otherwise.

Always easier to complete a 6 yard or less pass (Hill's average per attempt) than a 7+ yard pass (generally Smith's APA.)

All other things being equal.

No argument here...
Please read my other posts in this thread. Smith had a less than 200 yard game where he completed less than 60% of his passes threw 1 pick and 1 int. This was not a good day for Alex.

Well then as Ben Kenobi would say... "you really are lost to the dark side."

... but you're entitled to that choice.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran

Some "Faithful" just don't wanna admit that they could very well be wrong about Alex Smith never being good. ALEX HAS IMPROVED......AND STILL CAN GROW!
Originally posted by Nes49:

Some "Faithful" just don't wanna admit that they could very well be wrong about Alex Smith never being good. ALEX HAS IMPROVED......AND STILL CAN GROW!

Sure don't see many "Alex Leaf" posts anymore. He has at least passed that hurdle.
Originally posted by pd24:

And I'm only saying that Smith played below average (as NFL QB's go) yesterday. That's all. I don't know why this is such a problem for some folks on here...

I don't know about below average. He played average compared to the rest of the QB's in the NFL. This is the best a QB has played against the Colts this season, except for Senaca Wallace, but the seahawks were down big in the 4th and Colts eased up and started to rest players.

And about you saying ill would have had a higher comp %. That is also wrong because out of 6 games hill has played he has been higher than 59% only 2 times.

Right now NFL.com recognizes 34 "Qualified" QB's in the NFL. The middle spot, # 17, belongs to Jason Campbell who has an 85.8 QB rate. I'd say this was average. Smith had something like a 75 QB rate on Sunday (I'm too lazy to look it up). This is why I say it was a below average performance regardless of who the D was we were playing...

I very well could be wrong with the Completion %. That's why I said that he would "probably" have a higher %. We don't know either way; but, with Smith's previous accuracy issues, I'm going to award this area to Hill until Smith proves otherwise.
Hill was at 56% this season.

Ok. Alex is 54.9 over his career. What's your point?
Im talking about this year. Comparing both Qb's on what they have done this year and Alex is over 60% with 4td's and 2 int's. Hill is at 56% 5 td's and 2 int's. Alex almost has the same numbers as Hill in 1 and a half games, while it took Hill 5 and a half games to do that. Hill threw for 200 yards 1 time this year. Alex is clearly better. A WR never led the team in receptions when hill was the QB, it happens the 1st game Smith starts.

Alex hasn't thrown enough balls this year to compare 2009 accuracy #s. Let's see after a couple more games; but, if it helps, I hope you're right... I'm just not going to crown his ass. He has to show it out on the field to win over this fan...
  • pd24
  • Veteran

And I'm only saying that Smith played below average (as NFL QB's go) yesterday. That's all. I don't know why this is such a problem for some folks on here...

I don't know about below average. He played average compared to the rest of the QB's in the NFL. This is the best a QB has played against the Colts this season, except for Senaca Wallace, but the seahawks were down big in the 4th and Colts eased up and started to rest players.

And about you saying ill would have had a higher comp %. That is also wrong because out of 6 games hill has played he has been higher than 59% only 2 times.

Right now NFL.com recognizes 34 "Qualified" QB's in the NFL. The middle spot, # 17, belongs to Jason Campbell who has an 85.8 QB rate. I'd say this was average. Smith had something like a 75 QB rate on Sunday (I'm too lazy to look it up). This is why I say it was a below average performance regardless of who the D was we were playing...

Im talking about this year. Comparing both Qb's on what they have done this year and Alex is over 60% with 4td's and 2 int's. Hill is at 56% 5 td's and 2 int's. Alex almost has the same numbers as Hill in 1 and a half games, while it took Hill 5 and a half games to do that. Hill threw for 200 yards 1 time this year. Alex is clearly better. A WR never led the team in receptions when hill was the QB, it happens the 1st game Smith starts.

Alex hasn't thrown enough balls this year to compare 2009 accuracy #s. Let's see after a couple more games; but, if it helps, I hope you're right... I'm just not going to crown his ass. He has to show it out on the field to win over this fan...
He has thrown enough balls to be 1 TD behind Hill.

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Please read my other posts in this thread. Smith had a less than 200 yard game where he completed less than 60% of his passes threw 1 pick and 1 int. This was not a good day for Alex.

Ok... So you think a less than 200 yard performance where less than 60% of the passes were completed and our QB only gave us 1 good drive was a good day. I guess another way to look at it is if you think this was a good day for Alex then you have some serious lowered expectations. Sounds like some one's settling to me...

Look, I just expect better from the Niners. Maybe you're ok with not making the playoffs year after year; but when I was a kid, we were winning Super Bowls. We didn't only have one great QB, we had 2.

Yes; but, Hill sucks too...
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Alex doesn't suck. The team is getting better. The last week and half of the Texans game is the best QB play we have seen this year. If we didn't run the ball on 2nd and 20, we would move the ball better. If we did a better job of running, we would be better. If Raye would stop calling running plays that stall drives we would be better. Hill does suck, but Alex has been above average so far. Since you are a numbers guy, look at his rating, it is like 95%. I don't want you to say small sample size because you were looking at his rating for 1 game, now look at his 1 abd a half games. That rating was one of the best against the Colts this year also.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Ok... So you think a less than 200 yard performance where less than 60% of the passes were completed and our QB only gave us 1 good drive was a good day. I guess another way to look at it is if you think this was a good day for Alex then you have some serious lowered expectations. Sounds like some one's settling to me...

Look, I just expect better from the Niners. Maybe you're ok with not making the playoffs year after year; but when I was a kid, we were winning Super Bowls. We didn't only have one great QB, we had 2.

Baby steps required when walking in the footprints of giants...

Alex doesn't suck. The team is getting better. The last week and half of the Texans game is the best QB play we have seen this year. If we didn't run the ball on 2nd and 20, we would move the ball better. If we did a better job of running, we would be better. If Raye would stop calling running plays that stall drives we would be better. Hill does suck, but Alex has been above average so far. Since you are a numbers guy, look at his rating, it is like 95%. I don't want you to say small sample size because you were looking at his rating for 1 game, now look at his 1 abd a half games. That rating was one of the best against the Colts this year also.

The sample size is too small to say how he's going to play the 09 season. Where I used his QB rate earlier was to evaluate his play yesterday and yesterday alone. In case you need reminding, this thread was on how he played on 01/Nov/09.

Now that that's established, if you want to look at his overall QB rate of 65.5 you will see why I say he sucks. Don't just take the QB rate either, look back at the games too... He has played well below average and IMO that sucks.

I hope he improves and I would love to see him lead this team to the playoffs; but, I'm not ready to crown his ass as you so obviously already have.

[ Edited by D_Niner on Nov 2, 2009 at 15:34:52 ]
Share 49ersWebzone