LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

How do you think Alex Smith did today?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It is really unusual for a line to be better at pass blocking than run blocking.
Who cares how Alex Smith did? We lost. Bottom line. We lost another game.

That is the only thing that matters. Who gives a rip about Alex Smith?
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BSofSF:
CAUTION: Optimism Below.

It has been a painful process to watch, but the seasoning of our 25 year old quarterback through the School of Hard Knocks is about to pay major dividends. Smith's confidence will surge when we take apart weaker opponents on the back end of our schedule. Gore will feed on the success of Alex, Crabtree and Davis. Once Smith nails down the tuck and run as part of his game, and rattles off 2-3 back breakers per game with his feet, that will break defenses back. The Ugly Duckling is transforming into a Swan this year. Enjoy it. God knows we've all suffered to get to this point. December football is going to be meaningful again.

Originally posted by billbird2111:

Did you really expect a win? I bet you thought we'd be blown out. We played one of the top teams in the league and hung right in there with them even after losing our best offensive lineman, and already down our other tackle. Yeah losing games sucks, but losing to the colts isn't anything to be ashamed of, anyone that knows football would have thought we would have been run out of the building. Did you think before the game that Smith would throw more TD's than Manning? Did you think that we'd keep Manning out of the end zone for the entire 60 minutes? I been a fan of this team as long or longer than most people posting here, seen every championship team this club has ever posted. I can understand being bitter when we lose a game like the Texans game, that should have been winnable, but if you are going to b***h about losing to the colts @ Indianapolis, I am afraid you have set your expectations a little high for this team at this stage of rebuilding. Our offensive line is just that, but if we fix that, it goes a long way to making this team a playoff team again. Now if you are just complaining because you like to, I digress...
  • dj43
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by billybonka:
played pretty well, but I'm not sold yet

it'll be tough to sell me with this OLine & play calling though

I thought the o-line played pretty well overall, especially going up against Freeney/Mathis all day and knowing that we had to pass for most of the 4th quarter.

Aside from the horrid run blocking, pass protection was pretty decent, not including Adam Snyder though, which I think should be moved BACK to guard asap.

I think he was even less effective at LG years ago. I was really in his corner, going into this year... but he has been disappointing at RT.

Come to think of it... I don't remember him sucking at RG in Houston's 2nd half. Who's left to put at RT though? Sims? (assuming Staley's okay)

The big surprise was Barry Sims, I was pretty impressed at how well he held his ground with Freeney. And Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Snyder at RG in 2006 when Gore rushed for 1,695?? If the answer is yes, it should be no question moving him back there. And who knows maybe try Chilo at RT, we may discover something there.

Justin Smiley
You would have to remind us AGAIN!
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Meh...

He did about the same as Hill has all season. Less than 60% completions, less than 200 yards passing, 1TD and 1 Int... We need a real effin QB instead of these losers...

Oh, and a 74.7 QB rate... We could insert these numbers directly into Hill's stat sheet and no one would know the difference.

If you look at the stats for this game it looks like S.Hill on paper but if you watched the actual game it's obvious there's a difference and who the better QB is.If Raye didn't go vanilla most of the game Smith's stats would not only look "prettier" they would have won a game they had no business even being competitive in.

Smith's stats for the year in 1 1/2 games:

34-54 for 404yds 4td 2int 7.5avg 63%comp 95.0 rtg

Hill's stats for the year in 6 games:

87-155 for 943yds 5td 2int 6.1avg 56.1%comp 79.6 rtg

At this point Smith's stats look more favorable

The question was how he did today. Not last week, not 2006 but today. Now today, he played at the same level as Shaun Hill.

Look, all I'm saying is that this kid has not put up numbers that we as fans should be content with (just for the record neither has Hill). This type of QB play will not get us wins against good teams. Our D is just not good enough to carry poor QB play

You're overreacting he didn't play "poor" against Indy-not great,not poor but ok.

I'm overreacting? His performance was below average for NFL standards. Below average = poor to me. Just ok would = average and Good would be above average.

Look at it this way, there are several who consider Hill's QB accomplishments to be poor. Maybe this is why he is not our starting QB anymore? Alex had a Shaun Hill type of day (look at the stats). Now if Hill's stats are poor and Alex put up just as dismal numbers, then Alex's performance was poor.
  • dj43
Meh...

He did about the same as Hill has all season. Less than 60% completions, less than 200 yards passing, 1TD and 1 Int... We need a real effin QB instead of these losers...

Oh, and a 74.7 QB rate... We could insert these numbers directly into Hill's stat sheet and no one would know the difference.

If you look at the stats for this game it looks like S.Hill on paper but if you watched the actual game it's obvious there's a difference and who the better QB is.If Raye didn't go vanilla most of the game Smith's stats would not only look "prettier" they would have won a game they had no business even being competitive in.

The question was how he did today. Not last week, not 2006 but today. Now today, he played at the same level as Shaun Hill.

Look, all I'm saying is that this kid has not put up numbers that we as fans should be content with (just for the record neither has Hill). This type of QB play will not get us wins against good teams. Our D is just not good enough to carry poor QB play

You're overreacting he didn't play "poor" against Indy-not great,not poor but ok.

I'm overreacting? His performance was below average for NFL standards. Below average = poor to me. Just ok would = average and Good would be above average.

Look at it this way, there are several who consider Hill's QB accomplishments to be poor. Maybe this is why he is not our starting QB anymore? Alex had a Shaun Hill type of day (look at the stats). Now if Hill's stats are poor and Alex put up just as dismal numbers, then Alex's performance was poor.
There are also some who would add the four easily catchable balls that were dropped to Smith's rating and see that he did better than Manning...but not everyone chooses to look beyond pure stats.
Meh...

Okay D, we get you do not like Smith, but consider this. The three and outs were cut down considerably, and it showed in our defense not getting gassed and run out of the building like the Atlanta game. Smith is making throws that Hill just cannot make, moving the chains better and when he was set free to call his own plays, he lead the team down to score. If you cannot tell by watching the games that Smith is not better than Hill, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you can follow Hill to the next team that picks him up this off season.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Did you really expect a win? I bet you thought we'd be blown out. We played one of the top teams in the league and hung right in there with them even after losing our best offensive lineman, and already down our other tackle. Yeah losing games sucks, but losing to the colts isn't anything to be ashamed of, anyone that knows football would have thought we would have been run out of the building. Did you think before the game that Smith would throw more TD's than Manning? Did you think that we'd keep Manning out of the end zone for the entire 60 minutes? I been a fan of this team as long or longer than most people posting here, seen every championship team this club has ever posted. I can understand being bitter when we lose a game like the Texans game, that should have been winnable, but if you are going to b***h about losing to the colts @ Indianapolis, I am afraid you have set your expectations a little high for this team at this stage of rebuilding. Our offensive line is just that, but if we fix that, it goes a long way to making this team a playoff team again. Now if you are just complaining because you like to, I digress...

No, you're right, I was expecting to get blown out. We didn't.

That's just another silver lining in what is just another loss. There are no moral victories in football. If you're happy with a 6-10 finish and a bunch of close losses -- good for you.

But please stop judging those of us who gauge successful seasons on wins and losses.
Meh...

Okay D, we get you do not like Smith, but consider this. The three and outs were cut down considerably, and it showed in our defense not getting gassed and run out of the building like the Atlanta game. Smith is making throws that Hill just cannot make, moving the chains better and when he was set free to call his own plays, he lead the team down to score. If you cannot tell by watching the games that Smith is not better than Hill, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you can follow Hill to the next team that picks him up this off season.

Where did I say I don't like the kid? I hope he does great. I'm commenting on his performance which was below average.

I swear, some of you homers can't stand to hear a single bad thing about Smith.

No, you're right, I was expecting to get blown out. We didn't.

That's just another silver lining in what is just another loss. There are no moral victories in football. If you're happy with a 6-10 finish and a bunch of close losses -- good for you.

But please stop judging those of us who gauge successful seasons on wins and losses.

Nice attempt a a spin job there D, I know the season is about wins and losses. We should beat teams that we are supposed to beat, but Indy is not one of those teams. We played a very good game against a team with superior talent and showed that this team is closer to being a playoff team than it has been in the past 6-7 years. I think we have enough winnable games left to make the playoffs, not but one or two more that we would be lucky to win. I do not expect 6-10 to be the end result barring more injuries, but 9-7 or 10-6. I just choose not to make myself a miserable wreck dwelling on the "might have beens" we lost to a better team by a smaller margin than the experts suggested we would. If we had won, that would have been great, but anyone that was expecting a win was just setting themselves up for the disappointment you obviously are drowning in now. Chin up brother faithful, we will get there sooner rather than later.
Originally posted by dj43:
Meh...

There are also some who would add the four easily catchable balls that were dropped to Smith's rating and see that he did better than Manning...but not everyone chooses to look beyond pure stats.

And there are those of you who only choose to make excuses. The fact is that all QB's have receivers who drop good passes. None of them get a little star by their name to say "but 4 of his drops weren't his fault". Smith had a Shaun Hill stat type of day. I hope he gets better and I think he can; but, his performance yesterday wasn't all that great....
He sucked bring in Hill.........................
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

Six of one, a Half dozen of the other. Choosing between these two is like choosing between French Vanilla or Vanilla Bean ice cream.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

Giovanni Carmazzi still available? Or cody pickett? im sure they're better than both Hill and Smith.
Share 49ersWebzone