LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 177 users in the forums

How do you think Alex Smith did today?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Smith played well. He wasnt great but he certainly did nothing yesterday to make anyone doubt that he should be the starting QB for the Niners for the remainder of the field. Shaun Hill is a backup at best in this league. Smith has the skills to be a good (not great) starter.

Hopefully Alex will shine the rest of the year and the Niners will not be forced to even think about a QB in next years draft. If Smith can elevate his game and Nate Davis is given time to develop the Niners can truly focus on their other critical needs.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by billybonka:
played pretty well, but I'm not sold yet

it'll be tough to sell me with this OLine & play calling though

I thought the o-line played pretty well overall, especially going up against Freeney/Mathis all day and knowing that we had to pass for most of the 4th quarter.

Aside from the horrid run blocking, pass protection was pretty decent, not including Adam Snyder though, which I think should be moved BACK to guard asap.

I think he was even less effective at LG years ago. I was really in his corner, going into this year... but he has been disappointing at RT.

Come to think of it... I don't remember him sucking at RG in Houston's 2nd half. Who's left to put at RT though? Sims? (assuming Staley's okay)

The big surprise was Barry Sims, I was pretty impressed at how well he held his ground with Freeney. And Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Snyder at RG in 2006 when Gore rushed for 1,695?? If the answer is yes, it should be no question moving him back there. And who knows maybe try Chilo at RT, we may discover something there.

I thought the o-line played pretty well overall, especially going up against Freeney/Mathis all day and knowing that we had to pass for most of the 4th quarter.

Aside from the horrid run blocking, pass protection was pretty decent, not including Adam Snyder though, which I think should be moved BACK to guard asap.

I think he was even less effective at LG years ago. I was really in his corner, going into this year... but he has been disappointing at RT.

Come to think of it... I don't remember him sucking at RG in Houston's 2nd half. Who's left to put at RT though? Sims? (assuming Staley's okay)

The big surprise was Barry Sims, I was pretty impressed at how well he held his ground with Freeney. And Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Snyder at RG in 2006 when Gore rushed for 1,695?? If the answer is yes, it should be no question moving him back there. And who knows maybe try Chilo at RT, we may discover something there.

Chilo played his best game of the year (not saying much, but atleast he played better).
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Smith played well. He wasnt great but he certainly did nothing yesterday to make anyone doubt that he should be the starting QB for the Niners for the remainder of the field. Shaun Hill is a backup at best in this league. Smith has the skills to be a good (not great) starter.

Hopefully Alex will shine the rest of the year and the Niners will not be forced to even think about a QB in next years draft. If Smith can elevate his game and Nate Davis is given time to develop the Niners can truly focus on their other critical needs.

I thought the knock on Chilo is he can't pass block. RT would get Smith killed and put the guy on track to be the next Kwame.
he played well and I think he'll get better throughout the year.
  • dj43
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Some people are satisfied with the way Alex played today. I hear a lot of "he has really imrpoved since 2007". But when it comes down to it, Alex had Isaac Bruce wide open on a second and ten in the 4th quarter, but he overthrew him and almost got picked. This was a throw that Alex NEEDS TO MAKE. We didnt convert on third down and punted the ball. You can say all you want about Alex improving, but the fact of the matter is, when we needed Alex to take control and lead us to victory, he couldnt do it. Every play counts and this was a pass that needed to be converted!!!!!

Why pick on that one throw by Smith but ignore the EASY catch Bruce failed to make on another critical throw that would have gotten a first down? Or the Davis drop that would have done the same thing?

Fact is, Smith put the ball in the right place enough times for the team to have won if the receivers would have made the easy catches/drag the foot (I am excluding the tipped pass).
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I thought the knock on Chilo is he can't pass block. RT would get Smith killed and put the guy on track to be the next Kwame.

Well they did try him out at RT in the off-season, only it didn't work out because you have Adam Snyder and Marvel Smith battling it out. Then Smith retired and Pashos was brought in, leaving Chilo at RG. I think Chilo's biggest problem is missing assignments more than just handling players one on one. Chilo does have the footwork and strength to handle a DE one on one, IMO. I think we wouldn't be asking too much from him if we put him at RT, he certainly couldn't be any worse than what Snyder has done there and Kwame Harris before him.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
He improved & that is encourging cause he's only gonna get better,....
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Well they did try him out at RT in the off-season, only it didn't work out because you have Adam Snyder and Marvel Smith battling it out. Then Smith retired and Pashos was brought in, leaving Chilo at RG. I think Chilo's biggest problem is missing assignments more than just handling players one on one. Chilo does have the footwork and strength to handle a DE one on one, IMO. I think we wouldn't be asking too much from him if we put him at RT, he certainly couldn't be any worse than what Snyder has done there and Kwame Harris before him.

Chilo really needs to work on his footwork, that is most of the reason he is getting beat. His problem is one that might be correctable given time and proper coaching.

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Some people are satisfied with the way Alex played today. I hear a lot of "he has really imrpoved since 2007". But when it comes down to it, Alex had Isaac Bruce wide open on a second and ten in the 4th quarter, but he overthrew him and almost got picked. This was a throw that Alex NEEDS TO MAKE. We didnt convert on third down and punted the ball. You can say all you want about Alex improving, but the fact of the matter is, when we needed Alex to take control and lead us to victory, he couldnt do it. Every play counts and this was a pass that needed to be converted!!!!!

Why pick on that one throw by Smith but ignore the EASY catch Bruce failed to make on another critical throw that would have gotten a first down? Or the Davis drop that would have done the same thing?

Fact is, Smith put the ball in the right place enough times for the team to have won if the receivers would have made the easy catches/drag the foot (I am excluding the tipped pass).

I'm with dj43 on this one. For the most part, Alex put the ball where it needed to be...the few glaring exceptions being the INT (lead MC to much) and the overthrow of Bruce (bad mechanics on that throw).
  • dj43

Thanks for mentioning Sims. I went back last night and reviewed all the 49er offensive plays and just watched Sims on every play. He did not allow any sacks, or hits, or even a hurry. He also blocked well on running plays, although most of the time all he has to do on running plays is keep his man outside as all the running seems designed to go inside of him.

In other times this year, he has not looked like the same guy he was in Oakland.
CAUTION: Optimism Below.

It has been a painful process to watch, but the seasoning of our 25 year old quarterback through the School of Hard Knocks is about to pay major dividends. Smith's confidence will surge when we take apart weaker opponents on the back end of our schedule. Gore will feed on the success of Alex, Crabtree and Davis. Once Smith nails down the tuck and run as part of his game, and rattles off 2-3 back breakers per game with his feet, that will break defenses back. The Ugly Duckling is transforming into a Swan this year. Enjoy it. God knows we've all suffered to get to this point. December football is going to be meaningful again.

Justin Smiley
I want to know if MS after watching the game videos will see that the Offense moves when we pass the ball in the spread. Running is not working, the spread puts up points. PASS THE BALL = WIN
Share 49ersWebzone