There are 251 users in the forums

How do you think Alex Smith did today?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by BOSS2185:
SMITH LOOKED PRETTY GOOD TO ME HE MISSED A COUPLE OF PASSES BUT ALSO BRUCE DOESNT LOOK LIKE HIMSELF I THINK HE SHOULD BE BENCHED LIKE SOMEONE SAID EARLIER... MORGAN CRABTREE AND JONES THEY SHOULD GIVE IT A TRY!!!!! LETS GO NINERS BACK AT HOME LETS START WINNING

why are you yelling at me

Cuz he's the BOSS! Duh!!!

Smith had a very good game. Factor in the 4-5 drops and the tipped up interception, and his numbers would be far greater. He had a few questionable throws, but otherwise, showed that he can be a good starter for SF. His arm strength is obvious, and his decision making has indeed improved.

We have real QB under center, fellas... a bright silver lining in a tough loss.
Call me when he learns to run the play before the giant clock strikes zero.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Super5:
Meh...

He did about the same as Hill has all season. Less than 60% completions, less than 200 yards passing, 1TD and 1 Int... We need a real effin QB instead of these losers...

Oh, and a 74.7 QB rate... We could insert these numbers directly into Hill's stat sheet and no one would know the difference.

If you look at the stats for this game it looks like S.Hill on paper but if you watched the actual game it's obvious there's a difference and who the better QB is.If Raye didn't go vanilla most of the game Smith's stats would not only look "prettier" they would have won a game they had no business even being competitive in.

Smith's stats for the year in 1 1/2 games:

34-54 for 404yds 4td 2int 7.5avg 63%comp 95.0 rtg

Hill's stats for the year in 6 games:

87-155 for 943yds 5td 2int 6.1avg 56.1%comp 79.6 rtg

At this point Smith's stats look more favorable

The question was how he did today. Not last week, not 2006 but today. Now today, he played at the same level as Shaun Hill.

Look, all I'm saying is that this kid has not put up numbers that we as fans should be content with (just for the record neither has Hill). This type of QB play will not get us wins against good teams. Our D is just not good enough to carry poor QB play

You're overreacting he didn't play "poor" against Indy-not great,not poor but ok.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i'm happy with what Smith has done thus far and I'm the biggest smith hater of all time. I'm more annoyed with play calling.

I'm right there with you, only I don't think I would call myself a hater, and I don't think you should too. Even though I didn't wanna draft Smith, every time he was under center I rooted to win, never rooted to lose, I hate losing. Man I wish we hired Hue Jackson or Clyde Christensen, would love to take a page out of the Colts or Ravens playbook.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Call me when he learns to run the play before the giant clock strikes zero.

Not his fault the coaches take forever to get the play called into the huddle.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i'm happy with what Smith has done thus far and I'm the biggest smith hater of all time. I'm more annoyed with play calling.

I'm right there with you, only I don't think I would call myself a hater, and I don't think you should too. Even though I didn't wanna draft Smith, every time he was under center I rooted to win, never rooted to lose, I hate losing. Man I wish we hired Hue Jackson or Clyde Christensen, would love to take a page out of the Colts or Ravens playbook.

yea, "hater" is not the right word. More like doubter. I'm glad he's proving me wrong so far.
I hate Jimmy Raye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smith looked good though

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Nov 2, 2009 at 09:45:51 ]
Another Smith hater (or, "non-supporter") over here, and I thought he played pretty well for the most part. If we played more of a wide-open offense as opposed to the Singletary/Raye approach, Smith would do even better. He's finally looking like an NFL-caliber QB and should be given every opportunity to succeed going forward.

I put the lack of offense yesterday on Raye, not Smith.
raye is the reason were not gonna win the division

played pretty well, but I'm not sold yet

it'll be tough to sell me with this OLine & play calling though
Originally posted by billybonka:

I thought the o-line played pretty well overall, especially going up against Freeney/Mathis all day and knowing that we had to pass for most of the 4th quarter.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GoFD74:

I thought the o-line played pretty well overall, especially going up against Freeney/Mathis all day and knowing that we had to pass for most of the 4th quarter.

Aside from the horrid run blocking, pass protection was pretty decent, not including Adam Snyder though, which I think should be moved BACK to guard asap.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I see alot of posts consisting "Greats" and alot of "Very Well" as far as how he played today....

I don't agree with this at all... I think he did fine but needs to improve... he is playing like how he played before getting injured....which isn't necessary a good thing....

alot on here wanted to blame that INT on Crabtree but that was not the case.... Alex threw it high and away......Alex can get away with this as far as passes to the side line....but when throwing it in the middle of the field he needs to either be accurate or miss low....

and there was another pass that was an INT that was dropped by the cb....

so besides these passes...... Isaac Bruce let him down, dropped very easy catchable passes....and of course, imo, Raye let him down by not letting him get into rythem....this is one thing have been complaining for most of the season with Hill back there.....the playcalling doesn't really give our QB chances to get into rythem.... I believe that WildCat on 2nd down was a wasted play....and that 2nd down inside hand off to Norris of all people on 2nd and 10 WTF???

but back to Alex... this is one thing that drives me crazy...which I don't understand... he made some PERFECT throws...hooked up well with Crabtree for some first down.....but after hitting perfect passes....he can be TOTALLY off...and he does this in the middle of the field..the worst place to do so.

and of course those delay of game penalties are killing us....he should have been paying attention or if the playcall came in late he should have called time out... it went from being 3rd 7 to 3rd 11 on that crucial drive......

but yeah the Playcalling is what frustrates me...the formations we use....like someone else has mentioned, even when we come out in Shogun, Gore was still able to get some good yardage on a play.....we have to spread the defense out...and let Alex look at everything and decide early what he needs to do....when everyone is bunched in together and our Oline has let our QBs down on simple blocking assignments it makes a QB's job that much harder to try and read what a defense is going to do.......for as much as we run it.... I don't remember seeing one playaction rollout...or bootleg... I don't get it.......also not one deep pass attempt...why is this?

some on here need to be prepared for the reality of what is going to happen next week.....although most on here feel Alex played Very Well....next weeks game is going to be at the Stick...and the home fans have had no problem booing him after one series in the past...mainly because of having to pay to see him and our offenses struggle in the past.......so Alex needs to play efficient....Bruce needs to do his job...the oline will need to do their job...but more importantly Raye is going to have to do his job by putting Alex in the situation to make our offense successful.....or else it is going to get ugly at the stick....even if the game is close... we can't turn the ball over in the middle of the field like today.

Quote:
but when throwing it in the middle of the field he needs to either be accurate or miss low

Exactly!

Quote:
but back to Alex... this is one thing that drives me crazy...which I don't understand... he made some PERFECT throws...hooked up well with Crabtree for some first down.....but after hitting perfect passes....he can be TOTALLY off...and he does this in the middle of the field..the worst place to do so.

This statement should be pinned on the first page of the Alex Smith thread.

Excellent post!
You could say the exact same thing about the way Peyton played today...
I keep reading this over and over.... the difference between Peyton and Alex is that Peyton has proven himself in this league....where as Alex as proven to over throw his WRs in the middle of the field...he use to do this before his injury and even did this during the preseason game at the Stick...

on top of that I didn't see Peyton overthrow his WR over the middle today...

again I don't expect him to be perfect on his passes....just don't make those mistakes in the middle of the field where there are alot of defenders ready to make a play. Its real simple...if you can hit the numbers throw it low...
The throw was 12" too high for Crabtree to catch it. That is a HUGE difference between the kind of those he made three years ago.

Yes, I fully understand high throws down the middle can be dangerous, but that was a reasonable risk to take on that throw. It was the only throw in 6 quarters that had that degree of risk. Unfortunately it didn't connect.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Aside from the horrid run blocking, pass protection was pretty decent, not including Adam Snyder though, which I think should be moved BACK to guard asap.

I think he was even less effective at LG years ago. I was really in his corner, going into this year... but he has been disappointing at RT.

Come to think of it... I don't remember him sucking at RG in Houston's 2nd half. Who's left to put at RT though? Sims? (assuming Staley's okay)
Share 49ersWebzone