There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How do you think Alex Smith did today?

He played just ok.

On one sack, if he had stepped up in the pocket, he could have avoided. He did also seem a little too quick to start running for his life.

He had one brutal miss to Bruce that would have gone for a good 15 yards. It just sailed on him, i think we all know that he wishes that he could have taken that one back.

With all that being said, he was playing the #1 ranked pass defense and he lost his starting LT on the first play, he still played ok.

-9fA
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Too bad he got hurt in 2007, he could have already been on his way. He looked solid out there. Give him some weapons and he could be our ticket.
This kid has tons of potential, for what he did today behind that God-awful line was very damn admirable.

But it sucks though that Sing & Raye are catering to a worthless philosophy, than playing to their own QBs strengths. We have the potential to be a dangerous spread offense that can run up the scoreboard, but instead we're playing conservative, with missed opportunities, and a 'geriatric' wide-receiver that is beyond his years in catching NFL footballs.
C+/B-. Looks so much improved than from what I saw in '07 and even in the preseason. Much more composed and confident, and fantastic running the two minute offense.

Couple of negatives though. Some missed throws, shaky clock management. A thing about Smith that really annoys me is taking sacks that puts us out of FG range. This was a problem of his before too. I know that it's not all his fault, but he has to be aware where he is on the field and scramble out of the pocket and get rid of the football.

[ Edited by Schulzy on Nov 1, 2009 at 14:43:43 ]
Originally posted by Method:
One thing I noticed was on that drive we had an interception, we were passing almost every down and had a few good runs in between. After that pick, next drive or two we did the Hostler*.

*Hostler now has his own play calling system: run run pass punt

I saw that too man. Alex NEEDS to get into a rhythm. I think that is very obvious.

When he's on fire, he's lights out - 2 minute drill. But when we got run run and then pass on 3rd and 10 because our runs don't get anywhere he goes cold.

-9fA
Alex did not play horrible today but he did not have a good game either. He took a sack and this pushed the niners out of field goal range on their last drive. He missed a few open WR's on various third down plays. Shades of the old Alex started to resurface when I watched balls sail over open WR's.

At the same time many of those bad throws were taking place in third and long situations. So its really hard to gauge his play.
Originally posted by teeohh:
He did ok, I think he will get better from here on out. He should develop more chemistry with our receivers after this.

With the upcoming schedule, I think we will see a break-out game very soon.
Hill would have beaten the Colts.
Considering how long he was out of the game his performance over the past six quarters has been very encouraging. His mechanics appear to be vastly improved.

If it weren't for our O coordinator cutting off his balls he might have beat the Colts.
Originally posted by fister30:
Alex did not play horrible today but he did not have a good game either. He took a sack and this pushed the niners out of field goal range on their last drive. He missed a few open WR's on various third down plays. Shades of the old Alex started to resurface when I watched balls sail over open WR's.

At the same time many of those bad throws were taking place in third and long situations. So its really hard to gauge his play.

You can Gauge this without much doubt - Much better than Shaun Hill.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I think he's been playing fine. Give him some protection, and throw in a competent OC, and he might have a chance at becoming a star.

especially the oc part
Playing his first full game in 2 years he looked very poised, comfortable and in command of the offense. His 89 yard 2 minute drive was a thing of beauty. Threw a couple bad passes had some dropped on him as well. His pocket presence has really improved 80% of the time new when to slide in the pocket or just bail and run.

Raye has to adjust to Smith strengths which are run a lot of plays out of shotgun. He scans the field really well and gets the ball out fast.

On a side note impressed by how well Sims played coming in for Staley.
B- he played well. Made really nice throws and just a few bad ones. Manning had more bad throws but unlike the Colts we don't have enough talent to overcome them. He could have done much better if we had better protection and wr not dropping perfect passes *I'm looking at you Bruce!
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Hill would have beaten the Colts.

Yeah i doubt that.

-9fA
I say he had a great game considering how bad the OC is and the offensive line. Jesus the dropped passes reminded me of 2007. Smith couldn't win for trying. I believe the 49ers WRs lead the league in dropped passes when Smith was in that year.