There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sunday shocker??

Ok, let me start by saying I am not predicting nor expecting a Niners win on Sunday. I think Indy is right there at the top of the league right now and should win this game because of the talent they have on the roster. That said, I've been mulling a couple things over and there are a few aspects of the game that could bounce the ball the Niners way for a BIG upset.

First, Alex Smith...Yes, we are all excited from what we saw from him last week. Does that mean that he has turned the corner to meet the expectations from several years back? No. However, one thing the Colts don't have is film on Smith and his CURRENT tendencies. They have one half of football in which the Niners were playing catch up and spreading the ball around. If he can get the ball down the field quickly and accurately, it may take the Colts some time to figure out how to disrupt his timing. Of course, the O-line has to give him time, but Alex may have the advantage of no way to really prepare for him right now.

Second, the defense matches up pretty well with the Colts. With Donald Brown likely out, the game will be all Addai (who hasn't exactly lit it up this season). If the Niners can stifle the run game and just turn it into a passing game, then we have to hope our secondary can make some plays. I like the idea (though not confirmed) of Clements covering Dallas Clark, because Clark is a beast. Waynes is gimpy with a groin injury, so hopefully that will slow him a step. The other receivers are quick and fast, but match up well with our smaller, quick CBs. I could be wrong, but I'm not trembling from this matchup.

Third, the Niners will try to run the ball to control the clock. If Gore gets his holes, we could have some big runs against the NFL's #17 rush defense. Again, goes back to the O-line doing their job, but I do like this matchup. Yeah, the Colts lost the ball control battle to Miami like 15 min to 45 min and still won, but controlling the clock with a solid run game can only help.

Finally, and this is based on nothing but a gut feeling...the Colts are due for a loss. They are almost halfway through the season, have already had their bye, and have not had any REALLY tough games. History would say they will eventually lose a surprising game or two, so why not this week? We will see.

I will never count out Peyton Manning. I love watching him and am always in awe of just how good he is. That said, if the things I stated happen and we lay some wood to Manning a couple times, I really could see a Sunday shocker happening. Let's hope.
If our OL holds, we win. Ind has a horrible run D and even with sanders their pass D isn't great either. (Yes i know they are ranked as a top pass D but that's mainly due to their 2 DE's all over opponents)

That's why IFFFFF our OL holds we win because we have a very good D that can stop the run and the pass even Manning. We can bend but don't break on D and run alot but this depends on the OL. Gore can kill them, Davis can kill them, Crab and Morgan can do well against those cb's.

So i see it being a close game as long as don't fumble any punts inside our 10 and our OL gives smith 2 seconds to throw
I think we'll do it. 31-17.
49-0.
Nov 1, 2009: The return of the niner empire!
Everything will have to go just right for us and pretty much wrong for them, but it could happen. Our 9ers could win this game even though it's not very likely.
o-line and defense

those 2 things step up=we win
"There is no potential anymore," Smith said. "I have to go out there and produce. The time is now for me to go out there and play. There's no more wait and see."

Originally posted by elguapo:
If our OL holds, we win. Ind has a horrible run D and even with sanders their pass D isn't great either. (Yes i know they are ranked as a top pass D but that's mainly due to their 2 DE's all over opponents)

That's why IFFFFF our OL holds we win because we have a very good D that can stop the run and the pass even Manning. We can bend but don't break on D and run alot but this depends on the OL. Gore can kill them, Davis can kill them, Crab and Morgan can do well against those cb's.

So i see it being a close game as long as don't fumble any punts inside our 10 and our OL gives smith 2 seconds to throw

Sanders' strong suit is against the run. He can get up to the line of scrimmage Troy Polamalu style.

Sanders isn't strong v the pass at all. He only has 5 career pics and 13 career pass defenses.
Good post. Let's hope things go just the way you outlined.
Originally posted by VANiner:
Ok, let me start by saying I am not predicting nor expecting a Niners win on Sunday. I think Indy is right there at the top of the league right now and should win this game because of the talent they have on the roster. That said, I've been mulling a couple things over and there are a few aspects of the game that could bounce the ball the Niners way for a BIG upset.

First, Alex Smith...Yes, we are all excited from what we saw from him last week. Does that mean that he has turned the corner to meet the expectations from several years back? No. However, one thing the Colts don't have is film on Smith and his CURRENT tendencies. They have one half of football in which the Niners were playing catch up and spreading the ball around. If he can get the ball down the field quickly and accurately, it may take the Colts some time to figure out how to disrupt his timing. Of course, the O-line has to give him time, but Alex may have the advantage of no way to really prepare for him right now.

Second, the defense matches up pretty well with the Colts. With Donald Brown likely out, the game will be all Addai (who hasn't exactly lit it up this season). If the Niners can stifle the run game and just turn it into a passing game, then we have to hope our secondary can make some plays. I like the idea (though not confirmed) of Clements covering Dallas Clark, because Clark is a beast. Waynes is gimpy with a groin injury, so hopefully that will slow him a step. The other receivers are quick and fast, but match up well with our smaller, quick CBs. I could be wrong, but I'm not trembling from this matchup.

Third, the Niners will try to run the ball to control the clock. If Gore gets his holes, we could have some big runs against the NFL's #17 rush defense. Again, goes back to the O-line doing their job, but I do like this matchup. Yeah, the Colts lost the ball control battle to Miami like 15 min to 45 min and still won, but controlling the clock with a solid run game can only help.

Finally, and this is based on nothing but a gut feeling...the Colts are due for a loss. They are almost halfway through the season, have already had their bye, and have not had any REALLY tough games. History would say they will eventually lose a surprising game or two, so why not this week? We will see.

I will never count out Peyton Manning. I love watching him and am always in awe of just how good he is. That said, if the things I stated happen and we lay some wood to Manning a couple times, I really could see a Sunday shocker happening. Let's hope.

I like everything your saying. But the one point that I really have a gut feeling about also is that the Colts are due for a loss. I'm sure some in Indy are nervous about this being a "trap" game for them. Let's hope that's the case.
Originally posted by DShanghai69er:
Good post. Let's hope things go just the way you outlined.
SHOCK AND AWE!! If we win
Originally posted by HessianDud:

2 in the pink 1 in the stink
Originally posted by Knowledge:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

2 in the pink 1 in the stink

2 in the stink 1 in the pink