There are 269 users in the forums

Smith/Hill/Davis - our qb situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Smith is fine. Give him protection and stop calling such predictable and pathetic plays, and maybe this team could have been looking at 5-2.
Alex did well, however, he did have some bad throws and a delay of game... I was happy with his performance again, although I am not quite on the bandwagon yet, I am definitely inching my way there...
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Only twice today did we allow Smith to open it up, once we scored a TD and once the protection broke down.

Our problem is that we don't put teams away. The second we get any lead at all is that we go into run the clock mode and we aren't good enough to do it. What happens is that the other team eventually scores and we get behind and are forced to make a comeback, but the other defense can just pin their ears back and go after the QB cause they know we're passing. Indy wasn't able to get pressure in the firt half because we were up and they had to play us honest, we shoudl have been attacking them instead of letting them off easy.

I was watching Oregon beat SC last night. They never took their foot off of the pedal.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Alex did well, however, he did have some bad throws and a delay of game... I was happy with his performance again, although I am not quite on the bandwagon yet, I am definitely inching my way there...

4 bad throws but it was a good showing against a good team. He has to win against TEN and Chicago but I really feel he is the right guy and the best option for this team. Crabtree Davis and Smith LOTS of potential and they seem to be getting better - Let's hope they make something out of it
Either change the offense to a Indy like offense, mostly from a Gun, or draft another QB. We can be a 10 win+ team if we would only use Alex's strengths.
I think Alex did fine. He wasn't perfect but neither were our receivers either with dropped passes, false starts, fumble.

I think Smith did just as well as Manning. The INT could have been caught it wasn't so far overthrown a little high and far yes, but it looked like Crabtree doesn't like footsteps. Indy D played great and we didn't utilize our QB's strength. Overall Smith did what he could with the playcalling.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Only twice today did we allow Smith to open it up, once we scored a TD and once the protection broke down.

Our problem is that we don't put teams away. The second we get any lead at all is that we go into run the clock mode and we aren't good enough to do it. What happens is that the other team eventually scores and we get behind and are forced to make a comeback, but the other defense can just pin their ears back and go after the QB cause they know we're passing. Indy wasn't able to get pressure in the firt half because we were up and they had to play us honest, we shoudl have been attacking them instead of letting them off easy.

If Raye would've kept the offense opened up,the 49ers no doubt win this game.For the life of me I can't understand why Singraye haven't accepted the fact they cannot be a "running team" with this current o-line and open up the offense!

geez
Put Bruce on the bench and use Crab, Morgan and Brandon Jones. Slide Staley to Right Tackle and let Simms stay on the left side. With Smith at QB we will play better.
I think Alex has clearly turned a corner, which is huge. Hard to stay upbeat with all the losses, but this developments bodes very well for the future as he develops more and more chemistry with the young receivers. Very happy for Alex. Now I want wins. We need to open up the formations more, and then hit people with Gore as the combination punch. Not the other way around. This passing attack could end up being the strength of our team, but we're trying to hard to be an up-the-gut run team.

peyton manning had more bad throws today than did alex...not every pass has to be perfect...this was a team loss (bly & roman drop picks, morgan makes stupid penalty after td, crabtree ends promising drive with fumble etc)
Share 49ersWebzone