There are 266 users in the forums

Smith/Hill/Davis - our qb situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by B650:
I doubt Hill will start again unless Smith gets hurt. He's had his chance already. We know what we he can do, and it isn't pretty.
I guess the Smith Haters have all solidly moved to the Davis camp now....

Dilfer, Hill, JTO, Hill again.......when will you guys stop calling for bad QBs to be our starter and then grabbing the next thing coming through?
Hill was never the answer. Although he has a very good football mind, he has almost none of the attributes you need in a quarterback today - lack of mobility, a very weak arm, and a wobbly pass. As for Smith, we’ll see. He’s very smart; no one has ever questioned his intelligence or his commitment to the game; and he had a great outing last week. If the Alex Smith we saw last week is the Smith that he has morphed into, then we’ve really got something finally. And for Davis, he has the opportunity to sit on the sideline and learn the professional game. I’m not completely sold on him ever being a starter, but I’m very confident that he can become a quality backup and that’s nothing to sneeze at.
Once again, it doesn't matter which QB on our roster is the starter. We have a bad oline and bad play calling. Few QB's will make this offense look good LONG TERM.

Alex is struggling right now this game because of our oline and play calling, and against a better defense he will struggle just like Hill or Davis would.

We will see the Alex at Texas, when our oline gives him that kind of time, and the play calling puts him in that position to succeed. If this oline can give him good time, and open up holes for Gore; and if our playcalling improves, Alex can be a good/great QB.
See...on that 2 min drive, shotgun, good protection = TD.

That's what Alex is great at, they need to realize this.
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Icedawg316:
meh if Smith plays decent rest of season make him starter for 2010, groom Davis to be solid number 2. If Smith fails terribly, I'd say keep Hill as the veteran/backup and draft a QB in the first round or 2 of the 2010 draft, that simple

So draft another QB huh?The o-line has been easily one of the worst if not the worst in the NFL the past several years but lets ignore it and draft that QB instead.

With a terrible o-line let us hope he can run like a gazelle

Agreed. Draft oline, not QBs.
Smith is an average QB under center, great QB in the shotgun. We need to run an offense similar to what Indy is doing right now, if not might as well draft a different QB.

Also, Raye is a f**king fail.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Smith is an average QB under center, great QB in the shotgun. We need to run an offense similar to what Indy is doing right now, if not might as well draft a different QB.

Also, Raye is a f**king fail.

f**k raye with his run run pass BS when we had momentum...aside from the gore run, we had only ONE drive that meant anything...
  • jcs
  • Veteran
A Hill like performance from smith...is it the Players or the OC???
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
A Hill like performance from smith...is it the Players or the OC???

Clearly, it's the OC.

What are you guys watching? We passed the ball more than we ran! Two bad our receivers (Bruce) can't catch! Smith is not the answer as well he's not accurate! We need a QB he had time to throw!
alex seems to be doing a good job lots of dropped passes there is no doubt we have to draft OL i think alex is the answer at QB this is a good performance for a top 5 pass D in the nfl
Didn't get to see the game but A. Smith Stats look pretty good considering what he was against and the crappy O-Line we have. Crabby looks to have fumbled a big one! Close game and I think with Hill in we loose also. I like Alex and what he brings. He may be the answer if we can shore up this O-Line.
Originally posted by brhokla:
Didn't get to see the game but A. Smith Stats look pretty good considering what he was against and the crappy O-Line we have. Crabby looks to have fumbled a big one! Close game and I think with Hill in we loose also. I like Alex and what he brings. He may be the answer if we can shore up this O-Line.

Plus, the Colts were the 6th best defense against the pass, EVEN THOUGH THEY LEAD MOST OF THE TIME.
Only twice today did we allow Smith to open it up, once we scored a TD and once the protection broke down.

Our problem is that we don't put teams away. The second we get any lead at all is that we go into run the clock mode and we aren't good enough to do it. What happens is that the other team eventually scores and we get behind and are forced to make a comeback, but the other defense can just pin their ears back and go after the QB cause they know we're passing. Indy wasn't able to get pressure in the firt half because we were up and they had to play us honest, we shoudl have been attacking them instead of letting them off easy.
Share 49ersWebzone