There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Smith/Hill/Davis - our qb situation

Let me just say that i am as happy as anyone for alex smith for finally showing up and showing us what he is capable of. We all saw how amazing he was last week but are we jumping ahead of ourselves? it was only one half. What will happen if he tottaly chokes against indy? - god forid that happens

which leads me to this question, if alex ends up choking, Do we go back to Hill or let Davis play? We all have seen what Hill can do and we know the coaching staff wants to give time to Davis to learn and develope.

which qb do we play?
[ Edited by Daniel2778 on Oct 31, 2009 at 3:33 PM ]
You keep Smith in until whenever he gets it. If he never comes around, you let Nate play a couple of meaningless games at the end of the schedule and decide whether or not to draft a qb.

You don't put Hill back in and probably release Smith in the offseason.

But Smith will deliver.
i hope you are not saying that if he has a bad game againsty indy we should bench him. I doubt we can stop freeney and mathis and sanders is a beast in the secondary. This is a top tier pass D unit against an ok pass team with no o line if he chokes against titans then its different
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Oct 31, 2009 at 5:46 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
You put Hill back into the starting position. Davis is not an option unless injuries happen this year.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i hope you are not saying that if he has a bad game againsty indy we should bench him. I doubt we can stop staley and mathis and sanders is a beast in the secondary. This is a top tier pass D unit against an ok pass team with no o line if he chokes against titans then its different

no i meant if he chokes after a couple of games
I think Davis has more potential than anyone and should be developed next year with view of competing for the job in 2011.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Let me just say that i am as happy as anyone for alex smith for finally showing up and showing us what he is capable of. We all saw how amazing he was last week but are we jumping ahead of ourselves? it was only one half. What will happen if he tottaly chokes against indy? - god forid that happens

which leads me to this question, if alex ends up choking, Do we go back to Hill or let Davis play? We all have seen what Hill can do and we know the coaching staff wants to give time to Davis to learn and develope.

which qb do we play?

Alex will be given more than one game to show his stuff. It would be very unreasonable to expect him to trade TD's with Manning, so I would just look for a solid performance and go from there.
The earliest Davis will play is next year, and that's only if Raye is still here (and thats another argument). If Raye isn't here, then its back to the drawing board for him.
I seriously doubt that Singletary will make another switch so soon. He should give Alex a few games just like he gave Hill.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

which qb do we play?

Alex will be given more than one game to show his stuff. It would be very unreasonable to expect him to trade TD's with Manning, so I would just look for a solid performance and go from there.

I think Smith is going to be given many games. Singletary made a point of saying he wasn't going to go back and forth. If the worst happens and Smith fails (which I don't expect) that means the Niners will be out of the playoff hunt. If I had to choose, I would say give Davis some work. Barring injury to Smith, I think Hill's days as a starting QB in the NFL are over.
5 games - Hill- We know what we have

5 games- Smith- To see if he has matured and can be who we hope he can be. (If he play's good and show's the "it" factor let's keep him in. If he starts to turn into the (Nolan)Smith then we put in Davis.

6 games- Davis- Just to see if the kid can show some improvement over the course of the 6 games. (Call it future potential). If not, then we start looking else where in the draft, not 1rst round but maybe later on in the 2nd or 3rd.

What ever we do we need to find out about it this year and not let this linger into next year with a bunch of maybe's and could be's and should be's. I'm tired of average or below average Qb's. I want a Qb that has the "IT" factor I was talking about with Smith and if not then hopefully Davis.
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Oct 31, 2009 at 10:41 PM ]
  • Paul
  • Veteran
meh if Smith plays decent rest of season make him starter for 2010, groom Davis to be solid number 2. If Smith fails terribly, I'd say keep Hill as the veteran/backup and draft a QB in the first round or 2 of the 2010 draft, that simple
  • B650
  • Veteran
I doubt Hill will start again unless Smith gets hurt. He's had his chance already. We know what we he can do, and it isn't pretty.
Originally posted by Icedawg316:
meh if Smith plays decent rest of season make him starter for 2010, groom Davis to be solid number 2. If Smith fails terribly, I'd say keep Hill as the veteran/backup and draft a QB in the first round or 2 of the 2010 draft, that simple

So draft another QB huh?The o-line has been easily one of the worst if not the worst in the NFL the past several years but lets ignore it and draft that QB instead.

With a terrible o-line let us hope he can run like a gazelle

Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Icedawg316:

So draft another QB huh?The o-line has been easily one of the worst if not the worst in the NFL the past several years but lets ignore it and draft that QB instead.

With a terrible o-line let us hope he can run like a gazelle

Terrelle Pryor can

Just not ever for this team