LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Tarell Brown will start against Indy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
IF Brown becomes our starting corner, did we lock him up for cheap? I'm not familiar with the average salary of corners
This may prove to be a smart strategic move on coachings' part. Matching the speed of the colts w/r and moving clements to safety to matchup with the colts t/e. gonna be interesting to watch the outcome of this.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Nate is overated and if we can't use him against a passing team then he is not needed. We are paying him too much money and it is not the coaches job to cover his weakness.
I'm told this is a one-week demotion for Clements based on the team's belief that Brown matches up better against the style of receivers the 49ers will face against the Colts

Per MM in his column...

Lets wait and see what happens before we get too worked up about the move
This is interesting considering the future of Nate. Isnt he supposed to be paid 6 million next year, a 2.5 mil increase? Hmmmm
Originally posted by GameOver:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
I love Nate, but even the greatest DBs knew when it was time to move to safety

Ronnie
Rod Woodson

Nate would make a nasty safety. Assuming that this demotion is a harbinger. Hey, we need some help at safety don't we since Lewis is done (I don't care what the docs say, he's done. In fact, he'll prolly get another concussion this week -- don't get me wrong I've appreciated Lewis and his play but those chronic, serial concussions are nasty). If the 9ers have decided its Brown's time, I want to see Nate become the next ball - hawking, jaw rocking 49er safety.

Fuller was CB coming into the league. So was Hanks. Not the same, I know. But still. Some CBs don't have a safety mentality, Nate does.

This is what we should look into IF Tarell shows to us that he can handle his own as a starting corner in this league...we could go..

FS Goldson
SS Clements

CB Spencer
CB Brown
CB Bly
CB Hudson/Smith

That could suffice assuming Michael Lewis is done, if he isnt done, and if he doesn't suffer a concussion this week and doesn't play poorly, then hell, I'd say pull out Goldson and move Clements to FS and Lewis is at SS then come offseason we grab a safety (preferably via draft, and early on in draft) that if need be, can step in the following season if Lewis goes down or hell, if Lewis does go down, that safety can compete with Goldson for the FS spot as we'd move Nate down to SS...

Even if this Clements to nickleback is just a temporary thing and for "strategy", this is still something we should look into because of Michael Lewis' condition and for AT LEAST this season...next season we just have to address it in the offseason...

Offseason Things To Do
Offensive Line
Safety
Pass Rush

I feel like those are our BIGGEST concerns PENDING Alex Smiths play for the remainder of the season...

Now bring it together men, lets end today on a good note, get out there and get f**ked up, and see what the Niners got for the Colts tomorrow

Reggie Smith is a SS and backup to Michael Lewis who would have started in his place if he wasn't injured himself(groin).

Clements is a good Idea at SS but if R.Smith were to step up and produce(they expect him to),the 49ers
would likely keep him over Clements because he is also physical,younger and much cheaper.

They also drafted a FS this year (Curtis Taylor) who impressed them enough that they signed and put him on their 53 man roster.

None of this means they won't draft another safety next year but they better address the o-line.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
WOW, that's even more shocking than Spencer winning the RCB job at the start of the year.

The article does say that Clements will play the nickel and we'll probably use that formation most during the game (especially with Spikes possibly out), so I imagine Nate will play most of the game--but he hasn't played well and something like this was probably needed.

I hope this move turns out to be as wise as starting spencer...

I guarantee it is just for this game due to the fact no one on this team can cover TEs except Nate. He will be on Clark ALL DAY. If Sing benches Nate he is an idiot plain and simple

yeah, i could definitely see that, that its a more strategic move than a punishment for Nate. Also, playing the nickel maybe he'll be in better position to help against the run--kind of like another SS or LB?

I'm interested to see how this works and to see how Brown plays. The team has been high on him but I've never really noticed him.

Haha dude Im glad im not alone on that one. Whats the big deal with a 5th rounder

he was a stud at UT.
I don't care what anyone says about Big 12 defenses I watched that fool play his whole longhorn career and he played well. I have hope for him just like sing does.
HAH me and Sing are on the same page!

Crabtree raped him in 07
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Clements is on the way out. I called this as soon Brown was given the extension.

I called the Rossum release and now this. You people really need to start listening to what I say because it usually comes true. Im like the Nostradamus of the webzone. haha

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=132413&highlight=susweel

Lol, Clements is not on the way out, he's had some very good games, only bad game he had was against ATL, and a bad play or two against the Vikings.

This is more of a strategic move than anything else.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Clements is on the way out. I called this as soon Brown was given the extension.

I called the Rossum release and now this. You people really need to start listening to what I say because it usually comes true. Im like the Nostradamus of the webzone. haha

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=132413&highlight=susweel

Lol, Clements is not on the way out, he's had some very good games, only bad game he had was against ATL, and a bad play or two against the Vikings.

This is more of a strategic move than anything else.

They can clone 4 Deions and have them play in the secondary, but it won't matter if the DL and LBs can't get any pressure on Manning. I like the idea of Clements on Clark, but what we really need is a consistent pass rush. No DB is going to be able to cover if there's no pass rush (See Vikings game).
Originally posted by cestmoi:
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
WOW, that's even more shocking than Spencer winning the RCB job at the start of the year.

The article does say that Clements will play the nickel and we'll probably use that formation most during the game (especially with Spikes possibly out), so I imagine Nate will play most of the game--but he hasn't played well and something like this was probably needed.

I hope this move turns out to be as wise as starting spencer...

I guarantee it is just for this game due to the fact no one on this team can cover TEs except Nate. He will be on Clark ALL DAY. If Sing benches Nate he is an idiot plain and simple

yeah, i could definitely see that, that its a more strategic move than a punishment for Nate. Also, playing the nickel maybe he'll be in better position to help against the run--kind of like another SS or LB?

I'm interested to see how this works and to see how Brown plays. The team has been high on him but I've never really noticed him.

Haha dude Im glad im not alone on that one. Whats the big deal with a 5th rounder

he was a stud at UT.
I don't care what anyone says about Big 12 defenses I watched that fool play his whole longhorn career and he played well. I have hope for him just like sing does.
HAH me and Sing are on the same page!

Crabtree raped him in 07

07? wasn't that Brown's rookie year?

The bottom line here is that Spencer is now our #1 CB. He's been playing great this year, but hardly anyone has noticed.

If Clements was still a #1 CB, there is NO WAY you take him off the field. Now, I'm not ready to move the guy to safety, like many of you are. Clements is still a good all around CB and should play fairly well covering opposing teams #2 and #3 WRs.

Clements' days as our top CB are over, and with his current contract his days as a Niner are numbered. There's no way he comes back next year with that salary, unless he has an INSANE second half of the season.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I agree, I think Clemens has to take a big pay cut to stay on the team next year. He is slow and lacks premiere coverage skills. No reason to pay the guy #1 money if he's a #2 corner.
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Originally posted by dhp318:
I'm sure Nate will be covering Dallas Clark, which is a pretty tough task for anyone... Also, I'm sure the other wideout opposite Wayne will be a smaller quick guy like Garcon, which might be a better matchup for Brown.

Yeah, I'm thinking along these lines too. Here's a possible man-coverage scenario when the Colts come out with three wide receivers, one tight end and a tailback:

Wayne vs Spencer
Wayne--the Colts' best receiver--is coming off an injury, so even though Clements is better than Spencer, the injury to Wayne could allow Spencer to hold the fort.

Garcon vs Brown
Like dhp318 said, the guy opposite Wayne will be a shifty, quick receiver--most probably Garcon--and Brown might be well-suited to handle that job.

Collie vs Bly
Bly could handle the third receiver--premature celebrations aside.

Clark vs Clements
A healthy Clark is probably more threatening than an injured Wayne, so sticking our best coverage guy--Clements--on Clark could be the way to go.

What do you guys think?

Actually I think spencer is the best corner on the team.
I'd like to see Nate play a little safety and Bly at Nickel back for a few plays, see if it works out? ...but it would get our best DB's on the field at the same time
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'd like to see Nate play a little safety and Bly at Nickel back for a few plays, see if it works out? ...but it would get our best DB's on the field at the same time

i dont think the colts are the team to try out new defensive formations wait till we play the rams or lions
Share 49ersWebzone