Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ideas on improving the offensive line

Ideas on improving the offensive line

Originally posted by Nyner:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by Nyner:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Our problem with OL is that we don't have the players to become a power running team. We need more beef and skills in the OL.

Actually what we need is to get away from that ridiculous notion that you shove the ball down someones throat. Can't be done in the NFL even i know that. Lets put the ball in the air on first down and see what happens. The line will be fine if given the chance to succeed.
It can be done. The Giants are using that style very effectively.

Yeah....I've been impressed with them the last couple of games......

We don't have the personnel that he Giants have we lack talent I believe. I believe Singletary knows that and that is why he wants to open up the offense because of the lack of the running game.
maybe they need a guy like billy bajema or sean ryan, a real strong blocking tight end
You should be able to do it without having to use a TE all the time.
Fire Forster and the entire Line and take this into games...

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 30, 2009 at 5:32 PM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
maybe they need a guy like billy bajema or sean ryan, a real strong blocking tight end

yeah, we really shoulda kept Bajema.
I think the o-line coaching may need to change in the off-season.
I think they made a serious dumbass move when they kept 7 recievers of which 3 don't play and BRUCE should have been cut. They could have kept a blocking tight end or two or three OL and some of the lower echelon guys who were cut blocked a hell of a lot better than these guys. Where they kept Evans and that linebacker Marquez Douglas, who were not worth much, they night have kept Briggs and a couple of other running backs. I truly do not see Singletary as brainy enough to judge who best might fit on a team. He seems to base his judgments on how often a guy can carry SOPOAGA over that hill. Frankly Singletary seems a little too dim to be a HC. Not that he is too dumb but that his mantra is pure force with too little emphasis
on using his brains. For example Walsh instead of moaning and trashing Chilo probably would devise plays to use Chilo's weakness to his advantage. I think our present coaches just piss and moan. We shall see if they can adapt.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I don't understand the theory of a 6'7" 340lb left tackle when the guy he's going against is 6'2", 280lbs and just as strong and 3 times as quick??? the tackle will get beat everytime...
Originally posted by FourNine49:
You can only do so much during the season. I expect big changes to happen in the off season though.

But now? I can only think of small not-good-enough solutions:

-Shuffle in some OL players from the bench, practice squad, etc
-Call plays to mask OL woes. (draws, screens, quick passes)
-Leave Gore/VD in to block but that's dumb to keep our playmakers in to to that

I agree but why not play M.Norris more and keep him in to block, maybe we should bring in a blocking TE or extra linemean (Wraage) more often.
clone 2 larry allens and we have our guards!
Considering the amount of pressure we allow right up the middle, running a middle-of-the-field bubble screen (think of Crabtree's marquee play in Texas Tech) would be a great idea.
Originally posted by prometheus:
I think they made a serious dumbass move when they kept 7 recievers of which 3 don't play and BRUCE should have been cut. They could have kept a blocking tight end or two or three OL and some of the lower echelon guys who were cut blocked a hell of a lot better than these guys. Where they kept Evans and that linebacker Marquez Douglas, who were not worth much, they night have kept Briggs and a couple of other running backs. I truly do not see Singletary as brainy enough to judge who best might fit on a team. He seems to base his judgments on how often a guy can carry SOPOAGA over that hill. Frankly Singletary seems a little too dim to be a HC. Not that he is too dumb but that his mantra is pure force with too little emphasis
on using his brains. For example Walsh instead of moaning and trashing Chilo probably would devise plays to use Chilo's weakness to his advantage. I think our present coaches just piss and moan. We shall see if they can adapt.

No offense meant but...

The Genius(Walsh) was an Offensive mind that few will EVER match.

Samurai Mike is a Defensive mind. Do you HONESTLY see him devising Offensive plays let alone plays taking advantage of a known weakness?

Before Nolan left I stated that replacing him with Sing was tantamount to replacing Nolan with Nolan. I still feel that way. Nolan made his mistakes sure. But 1st time HCs' will and are known to do so.

But Defensive coaches do NOT devise plays for the Offense that *BAM!!!* work. Shoot George used to devise plays that he thought would work because he knew what would and would not work against a Defense. He actually sent them into games and they failed miserably. Steve stated that he did not understand why they didn't work. But they would run them to appease George.

We do NOT need a Defensive minded HC to devise plays. We need the guy to let the Offensive staff do what they know how to do. Period.

~Ceadder