LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

What is Alex's ceiling?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Alex's ceiling?

Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
his ceiling is still pretty damn high..

Being that he is still only 25, with this chance he has right now, and can prove himself.. I think he can be our QB for the next 8+ seasons and can get some probowl apperences and some rings, than you can place him up there with Manning and other great QB..

skys still the limit, dont right him off yet

well said

Originally posted by danimal:
consider Terry Bradshaw.

Please someone chime in with a better comparison if you have one, but I know of no other QB that had a rougher beginning yet lasted so long in the NFL.

For the record I don't think Bradshaw is a great QB, and with 4 Rings and he virtually never appears on Best QB's of all-time list....I would say I am not alone.

This man was HORRIBLE in the first 3 years of his career. Alex Smith and Bradshaws numbers are almost dead on in terms of QB Rating.

So unless we plan on gaining about half a dozen Hall of Famers anytime soon, there really is no other example of a turn around that would best compare to just how bad Alex looked in his trial by fire.

One thing to consider is he's matured,seasoned and now has several weapons at his disposal

I'm excited to see what he can do

LET'S GO ALEX!
Originally posted by Super5:
consider Terry Bradshaw.

Please someone chime in with a better comparison if you have one, but I know of no other QB that had a rougher beginning yet lasted so long in the NFL.

For the record I don't think Bradshaw is a great QB, and with 4 Rings and he virtually never appears on Best QB's of all-time list....I would say I am not alone.

This man was HORRIBLE in the first 3 years of his career. Alex Smith and Bradshaws numbers are almost dead on in terms of QB Rating.

So unless we plan on gaining about half a dozen Hall of Famers anytime soon, there really is no other example of a turn around that would best compare to just how bad Alex looked in his trial by fire.

One thing to consider is he's matured,seasoned and now has several weapons at his disposal

LET'S GO ALEX!

i wish we had a better o line then wed seriously be a top 15 offwnsive team
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Super5:
consider Terry Bradshaw.

LET'S GO ALEX!

i wish we had a better o line then wed seriously be a top 15 offwnsive team

Yes,I hope this serious problem is finally addressed next year.
I just hope time around he doesn't get shook after a couple of sacks and become Happy Feet again.
Originally posted by susweel:
1 good half of football.

Thats all it takes for people to jump on the wagon.
I hope Alex does great, however, watching him in preseason showed that his mechanics were still very bad. Then in the Houston game, he looked good. So I am very afraid that we will get a good game, followed by a not so good game. I hope I am wrong, but I don't know how he could have corrected years of bad mechanics in 7 weeks? If anyone knows, fill me in.
[ Edited by jeepzilla on Oct 30, 2009 at 7:09 PM ]
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
I hope Alex does great, however, watching him in preseason showed that his mechanics were still very bad. Then in the Houston game, he looked good. So I am very afraid that we will get a good game, followed by a not so good game. I hope I am wrong, but I don't know how he could have corrected years of bad mechanics in 7 weeks? If anyone knows, fill me in.

It is called having a good position coach, it does make a difference. His mechanics were already showing improvement in the preseason. It just blows my mind that since he was drafted the coaching staff couldn't get someone in here to help him work it out, even Martz, the supposed guru of the passing game.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Alex Smith will create his own ceiling.

-9fA
Let's see how he performs against a good defense coming up. That will tell us much. I know the O-line isn't great but if he can make stuff happen, which is what good QB's do than he can potentially become very good.

If this team is going to win a game in the playoffs our QB has to perform well against good teams and great defenses. Then week after week when teams game plan for HIM. This week will tell us alot. I know Indy doesn't have much recent film to look at which is advantage 49ers.

Go Niners!!
[ Edited by ninerfan818 on Oct 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM ]

• Chief
  • Veteran
stucco?
Personally, I think Garcia/Hasslebeck, but hopefully higher! I think he can be a top 10 guy if our line didn't suck to bad and we had a decent running game. If we had our 2006 running game now...oh the possibilities...
Originally posted by Born49R:
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
How can anyone find a ceiling for Alex on one half of a game ??????

This is the Webzone, we don't need no stinkin' logic

how is it logical to not reference 3 other seasons of data and observation

The guy was drafted in 2005, please look at your calendar and rethink your position.

Smith played 3 games in 2007 and had a different supporting cast of players , O line and Hostler as an Offensive Cordinator. I think that referencing back to 2006 and 2007 is stretching it a bit and I sure wouldn't use a rookie year at all personally.

I wouldn't use the last couple of years to judge Vernon Davis's ceiling ------ I would use what he is doing in current games same goes for Smith. Two Quarters isn't enough.

my philosophy is that it ALL counts. I don't grant anyone throw aways.

Let's see the Houston game was Smith's 33rd game, so basically the beginning of his third season playing. Typically the year when most NFL Qb's finally start to get it. Wow, glad you don't do my performance reviews.

you are over simplifying. What you are suggesting is that I would somehow be a bad boss if you sucked terribly for the first 85 days of your 90 day probation but started looking good at around day 86....and I was considering not keeping you past probation.

I see your point, but more like I was up and down for the first two months and when I started my third month started to show why you hired me in the first place.
The overhead slab of material at his house.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
consider Terry Bradshaw.

LOL at that. How was he horrible?

1st year - Horrible.
2nd year - Improvement and progress under Norv Turner.
3rd year - Injured and out for the season.
4th year - Injured and out for the season.

He only played 2 healthy years. And in the second one he showed huge improvement. He was hardly "horrible for 3 years." But nice revisionist history there.

seriously
Share 49ersWebzone