LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

What is Alex's ceiling?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Alex's ceiling?

Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I think his ceiling is Philip Rivers.

Right now, he's between Marc Bulger and Marc Bulger.

Marc Bulger is beating Marc Bulger 4% to 1%
I'd assume it's 8 ft; but, I could be wrong. Some rich folks like to go for the 10 ft ceilings...
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
How can anyone find a ceiling for Alex on one half of a game ??????

This is the Webzone, we don't need no stinkin' logic

how is it logical to not reference 3 other seasons of data and observation

The guy was drafted in 2005, please look at your calendar and rethink your position.

Smith played 3 games in 2007 and had a different supporting cast of players , O line and Hostler as an Offensive Cordinator. I think that referencing back to 2006 and 2007 is stretching it a bit and I sure wouldn't use a rookie year at all personally.

I wouldn't use the last couple of years to judge Vernon Davis's ceiling ------ I would use what he is doing in current games same goes for Smith. Two Quarters isn't enough.

my philosophy is that it ALL counts. I don't grant anyone throw aways.

Let's see the Houston game was Smith's 33rd game, so basically the beginning of his third season playing. Typically the year when most NFL Qb's finally start to get it. Wow, glad you don't do my performance reviews.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

NOW THAT'S SOME CEILING THAT YOUR PREDICTING.
Originally posted by Born49R:
How can anyone find a ceiling for Alex on one half of a game ??????

This is the Webzone, we don't need no stinkin' logic

how is it logical to not reference 3 other seasons of data and observation

The guy was drafted in 2005, please look at your calendar and rethink your position.

Smith played 3 games in 2007 and had a different supporting cast of players , O line and Hostler as an Offensive Cordinator. I think that referencing back to 2006 and 2007 is stretching it a bit and I sure wouldn't use a rookie year at all personally.

I wouldn't use the last couple of years to judge Vernon Davis's ceiling ------ I would use what he is doing in current games same goes for Smith. Two Quarters isn't enough.

my philosophy is that it ALL counts. I don't grant anyone throw aways.

Let's see the Houston game was Smith's 33rd game, so basically the beginning of his third season playing. Typically the year when most NFL Qb's finally start to get it. Wow, glad you don't do my performance reviews.

you are over simplifying. What you are suggesting is that I would somehow be a bad boss if you sucked terribly for the first 85 days of your 90 day probation but started looking good at around day 86....and I was considering not keeping you past probation.
8 percent said Joe Montana and 7 percent said Peyton Manning? Some people on this board clearly should have no access to the internet.
Originally posted by Winners:
8 percent said Joe Montana and 7 percent said Peyton Manning? Some people on this board clearly should have no access to the internet.

No kidding you see what drugs to the brain? Just terrible he will not be any close to them.
consider Terry Bradshaw.

Please someone chime in with a better comparison if you have one, but I know of no other QB that had a rougher beginning yet lasted so long in the NFL.

For the record I don't think Bradshaw is a great QB, and with 4 Rings and he virtually never appears on Best QB's of all-time list....I would say I am not alone.

This man was HORRIBLE in the first 3 years of his career. Alex Smith and Bradshaws numbers are almost dead on in terms of QB Rating.

So unless we plan on gaining about half a dozen Hall of Famers anytime soon, there really is no other example of a turn around that would best compare to just how bad Alex looked in his trial by fire.
What is with the obsession of needing to compare our players to some other player? The only ceiling that f**king matters is will we ever win another superbowl.

Originally posted by Winners:

HAHA great post!
consider Terry Bradshaw.

Please someone chime in with a better comparison if you have one, but I know of no other QB that had a rougher beginning yet lasted so long in the NFL.

For the record I don't think Bradshaw is a great QB, and with 4 Rings and he virtually never appears on Best QB's of all-time list....I would say I am not alone.

This man was HORRIBLE in the first 3 years of his career. Alex Smith and Bradshaws numbers are almost dead on in terms of QB Rating.

So unless we plan on gaining about half a dozen Hall of Famers anytime soon, there really is no other example of a turn around that would best compare to just how bad Alex looked in his trial by fire.

Good point bro but we just have to wait and see if he resurrects or tumbles.
Someone was distracted by Marc's Bulge as he listed Bulger down twice.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
I'd assume it's 8 ft; but, I could be wrong. Some rich folks like to go for the 10 ft ceilings...

I'm not rich, but my house is 100 years old and has a 10 foot coffered ceiling with mahogany beams in the living room and vaulted ceiling in the dining room, it's quite nice.

I think Smith has as high a ceiling as any QB seriously though. I think he has finally matured to become the QB we have needed him to be.
I'd have to find out his address, and then check and see if I can find any plans on his home.
Share 49ersWebzone