LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

What is Alex's ceiling?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Alex's ceiling?

Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
How can anyone find a ceiling for Alex on one half of a game ??????

This is the Webzone, we don't need no stinkin' logic
Originally posted by verb1der:
Alex Smith will create his own ceiling.
Oh BTW, Jeff Garcia > Matt Hasselbeck
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

how is it logical to not reference 3 other seasons of data and observation

The guy was drafted in 2005, please look at your calendar and rethink your position.
Probably vaulted in his home.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:18 PM ]
time will tell....
Originally posted by danimal:

The guy was drafted in 2005, please look at your calendar and rethink your position.

This is a what have you done for me lately league
Originally posted by jreff22:
Probably vaulted his his home.
lol
I was thinking something similiar. Good thing is, I think we've seen his floor and don't really hope he has a basement or a root cellar. Got to stay away from his attic in case there is something spooky up there. Halloween reference, sorry

Smith played 3 games in 2007 and had a different supporting cast of players , O line and Hostler as an Offensive Cordinator. I think that referencing back to 2006 and 2007 is stretching it a bit and I sure wouldn't use a rookie year at all personally.

I wouldn't use the last couple of years to judge Vernon Davis's ceiling , I would use what Davis is doing in current games same goes for Smith. Two Quarters isn't enough.
[ Edited by 49ERGUY on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM ]
I am a big Smith supporter and have been since we drafted him. Smith will make his own ceiling and use his style of QB play. let’s just hope he doesn't have a ceiling and is just riding an escalator to the HOF(this is a wishful thinking statement so relax)

Smith played 3 games in 2007 and had a different supporting cast of players , O line and Hostler as an Offensive Cordinator. I think that referencing back to 2006 and 2007 is stretching it a bit and I sure wouldn't use a rookie year at all personally.

I wouldn't use the last couple of years to judge Vernon Davis's ceiling ------ I would use what he is doing in current games same goes for Smith. Two Quarters isn't enough.

my philosophy is that it ALL counts. I don't grant anyone throw aways.
  • kirkfiege
  • Info N/A
Jeez guys... I have an Alex Smith fathead, jersey, shirt, his crappy book from his Utah days, and every year I change his rating in Madden despite the protests of my brother then draft him every time we start a new divisional competitor franchise.

So it's safe to say that I'm a pretty big fan.

But we can't get too high too soon, let the guy play. If we start calling him the next Montana and he struggles at all it becomes a negative situation. We also have to stop talking about what to do if he falls on his face.

Let's just let him play for a couple games first ok?

I wouldn't use the last couple of years to judge Vernon Davis's ceiling ------ I would use what he is doing in current games same goes for Smith. Two Quarters isn't enough.

my philosophy is that it ALL counts. I don't grant anyone throw aways.

I wouldn't argue with that it all counts but I put more emphasis on what a player is currently doing.
You guys think this is why we kept 7 receivers on our team because were are possibly opening the offense for smith? Is it a coincidence or mirage?
The nice thing about Alex is hes just turning 25 and has 4 years exp. So if he has matured then will have a Qb for a long time with great weapons
Share 49ersWebzone