LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

One Thing About A. Smiths Game Last Week

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Sing and Raye (Singing in the rain?) Said e would be a team that ran the ball even when every knew we were going to run the ball, and our big star Frank Gore, could'd do it. No knock on Gore I love the guy but it really takes a special guy to come through when every know what you are doing.

Enter the much maligned A. Smith, we were down 21 every one knew we had to throw the ball. I knew it you knew it Houston's defense defiantly knew it, and yet A. Smith got it done!

I have been critical of Smith, and Hill for that matter, but the more I think about last sunday the more I realize what a truly special moment that second half was. I hope we can see many more such special moments from A. Smith.

So the one thing about A. Smith from last week is this, He did what Frank Gore has not been able to do all season. Smith put the team on his back and threw when everyone knew he would, hats off to him!

That's arguable. Gore has been someone that other defenses gameplan against. They study his tendencies, formations, etc.

The Texans didn't even know who Smith was

How would the Texans not know who Smith was? I am sure that they knew that if Hill continued to struggle like had had in the past that Smith would come in. I knew it and there were a lot of other fans that knew it as well. MM and MB kind of hinted at it. So I am sure it wasn't a secret.
Originally posted by backontop:
Sing and Raye (Singing in the rain?) Said e would be a team that ran the ball even when every knew we were going to run the ball, and our big star Frank Gore, could'd do it. No knock on Gore I love the guy but it really takes a special guy to come through when every know what you are doing.

Enter the much maligned A. Smith, we were down 21 every one knew we had to throw the ball. I knew it you knew it Houston's defense defiantly knew it, and yet A. Smith got it done!

I have been critical of Smith, and Hill for that matter, but the more I think about last sunday the more I realize what a truly special moment that second half was. I hope we can see many more such special moments from A. Smith.

So the one thing about A. Smith from last week is this, He did what Frank Gore has not been able to do all season. Smith put the team on his back and threw when everyone knew he would, hats off to him!

That's arguable. Gore has been someone that other defenses gameplan against. They study his tendencies, formations, etc.

How would the Texans not know who Smith was? I am sure that they knew that if Hill continued to struggle like had had in the past that Smith would come in. I knew it and there were a lot of other fans that knew it as well. MM and MB kind of hinted at it. So I am sure it wasn't a secret.

Because the densive players of the Texans were saying, "Who's Smith?"

That to me means: They didn't know who Smith was
[ Edited by FourNine49 on Oct 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM ]

I doubt any of them were actually saying "who's Smith?" The guy was the starter just a few years ago before he was injured. but that is a nice story
Originally posted by Allx9er:
is there gonna be a mass suicide if the niners get smashed?

More like a mass snivel fest...

Originally posted by cNiner:
Sing and Raye (Singing in the rain?) Said e would be a team that ran the ball even when every knew we were going to run the ball, and our big star Frank Gore, could'd do it. No knock on Gore I love the guy but it really takes a special guy to come through when every one knows what you are doing.

DID NOT GET s**t DONE ! YOU WIN YOU GET IT DONE , NO MORAL VICTORY HERE !

what more did you want from him...he came in after being out 2 years, and almost brought us back from 21 down in just 2 quarters. it was an outstanding game for smith. had he been in there the whole game we would have won.

go be bitter somewhere else. sunday was a loss, but one of the most encouraging losses i can remember in the last 5+ years.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Sing and Raye (Singing in the rain?) Said e would be a team that ran the ball even when every knew we were going to run the ball, and our big star Frank Gore, could'd do it. No knock on Gore I love the guy but it really takes a special guy to come through when every one knows what you are doing.

Actually, what Singletary said was that he wanted to be able to run the ball when other teams knew the 49ers would run the ball. There's a difference between that and what you stated. He has also said he didn't want to be a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense but no one ever seems to cite to that for whatever reason.
Personally I love moral victories. I saw some good signs out of the 49ers. We will see if we can get an accumulation of moral victories and turn it into a footbal victory this sundy. By the way I don't think SF will win unless they have a day like they had at the Raiders practice and were picking off balls right and left. Then we would have a punchers chance. Also, if Gore can move the chains regularly we at least have as much chance as Miami had but we will still need at least 4-5 fumbles or interceptions. None the less, if we see some consistency in the offense and some QB pressuring then I will be happy even if we lost. Then we would need to get that consistency into the rest of the games of the year.

I doubt any of them were actually saying "who's Smith?" The guy was the starter just a few years ago before he was injured. but that is a nice story

WRONG

Quote:

"I didn't know who the guy was when he came out," said Texans defensive end Mario Williams, the No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft. "I really didn't. . . . He definitely managed the game for them. He was getting rid of the ball and moving the ball."

Said cornerback Dunta Robinson, "We were zeroed in on one guy (Hill) for so long, and then you put in a guy who has absolutely nothing to lose. He's going to throw it up and do whatever he can to make sure he's going to stay on the field."

Robinson said he knew Smith's identity, but everybody in the huddle was asking, "Who's No. 11? I think it threw our game off a bit. I didn't get to explain it to them, but now I think they all know who 11 is."

This is my favorite. It comes from Houston linebacker Zac Diles. "I was like, '11?' It's been so long since he's had any game time that we didn't even scout him last week. Everybody was like, 'New quarterback.' I was like, 'Smith? Smith?' I had to remember his first name, too. Alex Smith. But he came in and did his job."

per MM
[ Edited by FourNine49 on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:35 PM ]
Originally posted by kem99:

Actually, what Singletary said was that he wanted to be able to run the ball when other teams knew the 49ers would run the ball. There's a difference between that and what you stated. He has also said he didn't want to be a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense but no one ever seems to cite to that for whatever reason.

I thought that I said that (see bold above) My point is that doing something in the NFL when everyone knows it is coming is REALLY HARD and hey what do you know A. Smith did just that!

I enjoyed watching it, and hope that Smith is capable of repeating that feat.

No disrespect to Gore, Sing or Raye.

I by the way as I have stated many times am not sold on Smith or Hill, but right know I am listening to offers on buying into Smith.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kem99:

I thought that I said that (see bold above) My point is that doing something in the NFL when everyone knows it is coming is REALLY HARD and hey what do you know A. Smith did just that!

I enjoyed watching it, and hope that Smith is capable of repeating that feat.

No disrespect to Gore, Sing or Raye.

I by the way as I have stated many times am not sold on Smith or Hill, but right know I am listening to offers on buying into Smith.

You know what? You are right. I misread your original post. Guess it was from reading the misinterpretations of what Singletary said so many time. My apologies.

Go Alex!

I think it's O-line more than anything,when they had 2 maulers in the lineup(healthy Jennings/Larry Allen) Gore was actually getting big runs and breaking through when the opposition stacked 8-9 in the box.That line wasn't very good-they sucked at pass protection but were able to open holes for Gore.
It's all symbiotic.

Having VD being able to catch those routes over the middle will draw the safety, which will leave Crabs and Morgan in single coverage. Those guys catching will mean less 8 in the box which will allow Gore to run. As they try to stop Gore, you hit them with VD over the middle and Josh / Crabs deep.

Saying "we will run the ball no matter what" aint going to get it done.

Walsh used the pass to set up the run, then ran to set up the pass.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
is there gonna be a mass suicide if the niners get smashed?

Not up against the Colts. Who really expects the 9ers to win this one? The 9ers can just go in that game and give it their all with no expectations, and if somehow they manage to steal the game, Wow!
We've always read that when he gets comfortable in a system, that he excels, but until then struggles. I believe the more simplistic Raye offense gives him the best opportunity of his career to do just that.

I am optimistic that he will succeed in Jimmy Raye's "simple" system. Not that any pro offense is simple, but this one has to be the least complex of all the ones that have been installed since Smith was drafted.
[ Edited by mississippi_sam on Oct 31, 2009 at 1:58 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone