LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

One Thing About A. Smiths Game Last Week

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sing and Raye (Singing in the rain?) Said e would be a team that ran the ball even when every knew we were going to run the ball, and our big star Frank Gore, could'd do it. No knock on Gore I love the guy but it really takes a special guy to come through when every one knows what you are doing.

Enter the much maligned A. Smith, we were down 21 every one knew we had to throw the ball. I knew it you knew it Houston's defense defiantly knew it, and yet A. Smith got it done!

I have been critical of Smith, and Hill for that matter, but the more I think about last sunday the more I realize what a truly special moment that second half was. I hope we can see many more such special moments from A. Smith.

So the one thing about A. Smith from last week is this, He did what Frank Gore has not been able to do all season. Smith put the team on his back and threw when everyone knew he would, hats off to him!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Oct 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM ]
Smith looked like the QB he was in Utah last Sunday. I think he has just matured and finally has had the game slow down for him. Better late then never, we really need to spend the draft picks fixing up the oline and getting that safety from Tennessee.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Sing and Raye (Singing in the rain?) Said e would be a team that ran the ball even when every knew we were going to run the ball, and our big star Frank Gore, could'd do it. No knock on Gore I love the guy but it really takes a special guy to come through when every know what you are doing.

Enter the much maligned A. Smith, we were down 21 every one knew we had to throw the ball. I knew it you knew it Houston's defense defiantly knew it, and yet A. Smith got it done!

I have been critical of Smith, and Hill for that matter, but the more I think about last sunday the more I realize what a truly special moment that second half was. I hope we can see many more such special moments from A. Smith.

So the one thing about A. Smith from last week is this, He did what Frank Gore has not been able to do all season. Smith put the team on his back and threw when everyone knew he would, hats off to him!

That's arguable. Gore has been someone that other defenses gameplan against. They study his tendencies, formations, etc.

The Texans didn't even know who Smith was
We are finally utilizing one of the biggest matchup problems for any team we face...VD. If Alex can throw a strike on that seem route everytime, teams will be forced to double VD and leave our WR's in single coverage.

If we can get our line just to protect at an average level, we will be a very hard team to stop offensively when throwing the ball.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Sing and Raye (Singing in the rain?) Said e would be a team that ran the ball even when every knew we were going to run the ball, and our big star Frank Gore, could'd do it. No knock on Gore I love the guy but it really takes a special guy to come through when every know what you are doing.

That's arguable. Gore has been someone that other defenses gameplan against. They study his tendencies, formations, etc.

Sure that true, but they did know he had to pass, and they were playing the pass.
Originally posted by 5280High:
We are finally utilizing one of the biggest matchup problems for any team we face...VD. If Alex can throw a strike on that seem route everytime, teams will be forced to double VD and leave our WR's in single coverage.

If we can get our line just to protect at an average level, we will be a very hard team to stop offensively when throwing the ball.

Also, teams may be forced to counter Vernon with a DB instead of a LB, and thats good for the run game.

Sure that true, but they did know he had to pass, and they were playing the pass.

Yeah you're right. And kudos for Smith for doing more than a lot of us expected. But when you gameplan against Hill, there are just some parts of the field that defend themselves. Not knocking Hill, he just makes up for it in other aspects of being QB (moxie, leadership, etc).

Looking back at other HOU games, they have shoot outs in their games because

1.) They're offense can put up points

and

2.) Their defense can't stop other teams.

Their defense did just enough to win that game in the 2nd half.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by 5280High:

Also, teams may be forced to counter Vernon with a DB instead of a LB, and thats good for the run game.

Very true. Not to mention that our passing game has a bit more promise than before, so that'll warrant an extra DB as well
Personally, I think inserting Smith versus Hill allows us to open up our game plan. This should have a positive effect on Gore because teams will actually have to gameplan for something other than Frank Gore.

To me that's the key. I like Hill personally, but his skill in the passing game is more of an "oh sh**" he got one for a DC, not something you have to put alot of effort into.
It was only 1 game! We want to see that consistently, especially against good defenses!

Yeah you're right. And kudos for Smith for doing more than a lot of us expected. But when you gameplan against Hill, there are just some parts of the field that defend themselves. Not knocking Hill, he just makes up for it in other aspects of being QB (moxie, leadership, etc).

Looking back at other HOU games, they have shoot outs in their games because

1.) They're offense can put up points

and

2.) Their defense can't stop other teams.

Their defense did just enough to win that game in the 2nd half.

You mean our offense did just enough to lose the game in the first half.
Agree if Alex can continue to produce we could have the makings of a very good offense.
Sing and Raye (Singing in the rain?) Said e would be a team that ran the ball even when every knew we were going to run the ball, and our big star Frank Gore, could'd do it. No knock on Gore I love the guy but it really takes a special guy to come through when every one knows what you are doing.

DID NOT GET s**t DONE ! YOU WIN YOU GET IT DONE , NO MORAL VICTORY HERE !
I like how and when he scrambled. Gave us positive yards when he could have just thrown it away.
is there gonna be a mass suicide if the niners get smashed?
Share 49ersWebzone