LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

The Keep-Manning-Off-the-field Strategy Does Not Work

Shop Find 49ers gear online
keeping him off the field is the best chance we got
Nope it sure don't but the knock him on his ass strategy just might!
I have to disagree. I'll say it again, New England showed the league how to stop Peyton Manning. Go back and watch the NE/Indy playoff games. The Patriots were the stuff Manning's nightmares were made of. Defensively, they played him brilliant. And personally I think he's one of the most overrated QB's in recent memory.

To me, he's this generation's Dan Marino. Damn good in the regular season, but a choke artist once the pressure is on.

His Super Bowl ring is a total farce too but that's another story...

What I remember from them playoff games and the reason I brought it up is because they beat peyton manning at his own game. Manning likes to stand there and call audibles and fake call audibles and wave his hands around and yell. He does this to try to throw off the defense and make them second guess themselves. You know that any hesitation and peyton will kill you. What the patriots did was the same exact thing almost. Before the snap, They would bring a safety close to the line of scrimmage and than drop him back. Than they would bring a linebacker up to the line and than drop him back and keep doing it simultaneously, so he didn't know who was covering and who wasn't. This confused peyton manning and there for made bill and his patriot defense his worse nightmare. Bill Bellichick is a scheming genius.
nvm
[ Edited by danimal on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM ]
Originally posted by insanemike27:
I have to disagree. I'll say it again, New England showed the league how to stop Peyton Manning. Go back and watch the NE/Indy playoff games. The Patriots were the stuff Manning's nightmares were made of. Defensively, they played him brilliant. And personally I think he's one of the most overrated QB's in recent memory.

To me, he's this generation's Dan Marino. Damn good in the regular season, but a choke artist once the pressure is on.

His Super Bowl ring is a total farce too but that's another story...

What I remember from them playoff games and the reason I brought it up is because they beat peyton manning at his own game. Manning likes to stand there and call audibles and fake call audibles and wave his hands around and yell. He does this to try to throw off the defense and make them second guess themselves. You know that any hesitation and peyton will kill you. What the patriots did was the same exact thing almost. Before the snap, They would bring a safety close to the line of scrimmage and than drop him back. Than they would bring a linebacker up to the line and than drop him back and keep doing it simultaneously, so he didn't know who was covering and who wasn't. This confused peyton manning and there for made bill and his patriot defense his worse nightmare. Bill Bellichick is a scheming genius.

Fully Agree. Watch any Peyton playoff loss, and there is a lot of those...this is a constant.

Football is not rocket science, there is a counter for EVERYTHING, and usually the best counter is the most direct.

If Peyton wants to act a fool pre snap; fine, then your QB's on defense should be acting a fool too.
[ Edited by danimal on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM ]
So your gameplan is just to throw all day and hope manning throws picks? Great gameplan coach.
Miami did everything right....it wasn't Payton that killed them...it was their defense inablity to tackle when it counted.... that last drive could have ended a couple of times but their CBs and LBs couldn't tackle those short passes to Pierre Garson or Dallas Clark.....if they had made the initial tackle on those series of plays, they would have one the game.
Well, keeping Manning off the field hasn't worked either
The way to beat Manning is through balance and excution. As a defense we have to be clever in hiding our coverages. Showing blitz then dropping guys back and showing coverage then bringing the heat. Manning is a machine and is dependant on rhythm but if you allow him to get comfortable he will tourch you. Offensively we have to play our own game. Sustain drives to keep Manning off the field but don't be afraid to be explosive and take our shots.

I think you have to play the Colts just like any other good team. "Play to win!" instead of playing "Not to lose." Be aggressive, take a chance, but remain balanced on both sides of the ball.

We have a chance to make a statement this Sunday. Let's hope for the best....

• NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
There is only one way to stop Manning..I took this film quote from the movie Rocky Balboa from his manager Duke and modified it.

Duke: You know all there is to know about football and losing, so there's no sense us going down that same old road again. To beat this guy Manning, you need speed - you don't have it. And your O-line can't block, so hard running is out. And you got confusion in your defensive communication, and you've just got a new starting quarterback, so an air war is out.

So, what we'll be calling on is good ol’ fashion blunt force trauma. Horsepower. Heavy-duty, cast-iron, piledriving sacks that will have to hurt so much they'll rattle his ancestors. Every time you hit him with a shot, it's gotta feel like he tried kissing the express train. Yeah! Let's start building some hurtin' bombs!

Start Rocky theme...

Dude! f**k YEA!

Post of the day! That scene is so damn motivating! I actually have a audio clip of it on my ipod and listen to it before i work out!

keep manning of the field via injury may work
People need to understand that we're not the Dolphins. They have a great line, 2 great running backs, and the Wildcat. With the exception of 2 plays we haven't been able to run the ball down anyone's throat all season long. What makes you think that's going to change? It's about as reallistic as us copying the Greatest Show on Turf to win.

I concede we're going to need run the ball effectively if we're going to win, but it's got to be a balanced attack and we're going to have to put up some point too.

Here's my targets for a win 27 points, 28 carries for 120 yards, 32 passes for 240 yards win the TOP battle 33-27 and win the turnover battle.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 30, 2009 at 10:52 PM ]
to be able to play with Indy, you must have a legit pass rush, decent secondary, and an offense that can answer back after a colts TD.

we only have 1 of those things. i saw the pass rush early this year, but it has since vanished for some reason, making our secondary less than stellar as well, but still decent.

best chance you got vs Indy is someone rolling into Manning's knees. we should temper our expectations now so this place isnt so gloomy on monday after the loss. we all know its coming. im normally pretty positive, but lets not kid ourselves here.

if we pull out a miracle in Indy, i dont know what the national media will say. they think were a joke, so if we beat what many consider the best, espn might have to go off air for a couple hours while they process what to say about it.
  • B650
  • Veteran
It might not work all the time, but it's better than keeping him on the field.
Share 49ersWebzone