There are 245 users in the forums

The Keep-Manning-Off-the-field Strategy Does Not Work

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Manning is no Joe Montana, He can be stopped!
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Manning is no Joe Montana, He can be stopped!

Even Montana was stopped -- ref. Giants and Bears.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

1. Manning is better in the hurry offense than in the normal offense.

Peyton is just as good either way. It's not that he's better in hurry-up, it's just that defenses can't handle it because he is ALWAYS far more prepared for their defenses than they will ever be for his offensive calls. When it comes to executing the plays and being effective he is just as good in his regular offense as he is in his hurry-up offense.

I do agree we'll have to throw, throw and throw some more just to keep up with the points the Colts will be putting up, but I don't have faith in our staff to go that route. Singletary is a great motivator and leader, but he's stubborn like Mike Nolan when it comes to his philosophies. A good COACH knows he needs to put pride aside and change the way the team is operating when his own ways are not working. Our running game sucks due to 3-out-of-5 of our offensive linemen being garbage so the only logical thing to do is start to pass more often. The run-first strategy is fine if you have the line to do it, but we don't and no matter how much Singletary hopes they will get it together, it probably won't be happening any time soon.

We'll see if Singletary is really a good COACH or not in the coming weeks. If we keep the same strategy that is clearly not going to work, then I might have to hop off the Singletary bandwagon.
miami was the closest to beating them.. and thats what they did.. looked like a good game plan to me
the best defensive scheme to play against the colts would be to look back at all the colts and patriots playoff games against each other in the manning- brady era.
bellichick has proven time and time again that it's not all about talent but mostly the scheme. I know, I know. The patriots cheated their way to all of them super bowls.
Originally posted by insanemike27:
the best defensive scheme to play against the colts would be to look back at all the colts and patriots playoff games against each other in the manning- brady era.
bellichick has proven time and time again that it's not all about talent but mostly the scheme. I know, I know. The patriots cheated their way to all of them super bowls.

I remember the Pats giving their game ball to back up QB Damon Huard for running the scout team with his Peyton-esque hand gestures and audibles against the Pats' starting Def.

They should have given that game ball to their camera man
Originally posted by baltien:
Two, I'd consider it a good thing if he's constantly going no huddle because that probably means we're winning.

I don't think many of you actually watch Peyton Manning play football. He goes into a no huddle offense for the hell of it, just because he can. They sometimes go no huddle when they're up by 2 TDs. That's one of the luxuries of having the best and most prepared QB in the NFL.
LOL

The "Keep-Manning-Off-the-field Strategy" may not be 100% effective, but the "Rely-on-our-offense-to-keep-pace-with-Manning Strategy" is destined for failure.
New England showed the league how to beat him awhile ago.

New England showed the league that Indianapolis has no DEFENSE, which was not something we didn't already know.

Peyton Manning consistently leads his team to a 12+ win season with a weak defense. Unfortunately for him, you need a defense in the playoffs. If he had Tom Brady's championship defenses, I'm almost positive Manning would have 4 or 5 SuperBowl rings right now and it would be hard for anyone to deny that and actually believe themselves.

Every QB has their bad days, and I can only hope Sunday is Peyton's bad day because if it's not, we will get embarrassed. Plain and simple. I don't see our defense stopping him whether we blitz like crazy or not and our run game is atrocious so I don't see us keeping him off the field for that long. If our T.O.P. is more than theirs, it will probably be because Peyton lit us up for big plays and scored quickly. Sad but true.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
miami was the closest to beating them.. and thats what they did.. looked like a good game plan to me

If we had Miami's running game, we'd be 6-0 right now...without question.

Originally posted by 49erRider:

New England showed the league that Indianapolis has no DEFENSE, which was not something we didn't already know.

Peyton Manning consistently leads his team to a 12+ win season with a weak defense. Unfortunately for him, you need a defense in the playoffs. If he had Tom Brady's championship defenses, I'm almost positive Manning would have 4 or 5 SuperBowl rings right now and it would be hard for anyone to deny that and actually believe themselves.

Every QB has their bad days, and I can only hope Sunday is Peyton's bad day because if it's not, we will get embarrassed. Plain and simple. I don't see our defense stopping him whether we blitz like crazy or not and our run game is atrocious so I don't see us keeping him off the field for that long. If our T.O.P. is more than theirs, it will probably be because Peyton lit us up for big plays and scored quickly. Sad but true.

I have to disagree. I'll say it again, New England showed the league how to stop Peyton Manning. Go back and watch the NE/Indy playoff games. The Patriots were the stuff Manning's nightmares were made of. Defensively, they played him brilliant. And personally I think he's one of the most overrated QB's in recent memory.

To me, he's this generation's Dan Marino. Damn good in the regular season, but a choke artist once the pressure is on.

His Super Bowl ring is a total farce too but that's another story...
[ Edited by baltien on Oct 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM ]
Originally posted by Overkill:
LOL

The "Keep-Manning-Off-the-field Strategy" may not be 100% effective, but the "Rely-on-our-offense-to-keep-pace-with-Manning Strategy" is destined for failure.

1. We do not have the tools to execute a run-first strategy anyway.

2. Peyton Manning has always had problems with 4-3 defenses. My guess as to why is because 3-4 defenses, by design, are a better match vs. spread out offenses. during the preseason, I remember reading that so many teams are switching to the 3-4 because GMs believe "The Spread" college look is on its way to the NFL. And the Colts have ran the NFL version of the spread for 10 years.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/1178/manning-s-playoff-record-vs-3-4-defenses-not-good
There is only one way to stop Manning..I took this film quote from the movie Rocky Balboa from his manager Duke and modified it.

Duke: You know all there is to know about football and losing, so there's no sense us going down that same old road again. To beat this guy Manning, you need speed - you don't have it. And your O-line can't block, so hard running is out. And you got confusion in your defensive communication, and you've just got a new starting quarterback, so an air war is out.

So, what we'll be calling on is good ol’ fashion blunt force trauma. Horsepower. Heavy-duty, cast-iron, piledriving sacks that will have to hurt so much they'll rattle his ancestors. Every time you hit him with a shot, it's gotta feel like he tried kissing the express train. Yeah! Let's start building some hurtin' bombs!

Start Rocky theme...
[ Edited by jimmythegreekjr on Oct 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM ]

I have to disagree. I'll say it again, New England showed the league how to stop Peyton Manning. Go back and watch the NE/Indy playoff games. The Patriots were the stuff Manning's nightmares were made of. Defensively, they played him brilliant. And personally I think he's one of the most overrated QB's in recent memory.

To me, he's this generation's Dan Marino. Damn good in the regular season, but a choke artist once the pressure is on.

I disagree. Manning's only flaw is that he believes he can do too much, and will force throws when frustrated (by either elaborate coverages or a strong pass rush). New England was great at frustrating Manning, which led him to force balls downfield (The Steelers are good at this too).
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I disagree. Manning's only flaw is that he believes he can do too much, and will force throws when frustrated (by either elaborate coverages or a strong pass rush). New England was great at frustrating Manning, which led him to force balls downfield (The Steelers are good at this too).

Which was certainly part of a very successful DEFENSIVE strategy, no? And that's not his only flaw. If you look at him play, Manning is all pocket. He steps up in it with the best of them...not so much when moving laterally. And he's terrible throwing on the run. Indy's O-Line is so good because it has to be. Once you start getting licks on him and defenders are in his face he gets disrupted rather easily.

That leads to him trying "to do too much" and forcing throws.

Unfortunately for the rest of the league, getting pressure on him is no small feat. Again, Indy has a fantastic Offensive line. They definitely deserve all the praise they get.

...Beating him is much easier said than done but it's definitely possible.
[ Edited by baltien on Oct 30, 2009 at 11:54 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone