There are 204 users in the forums

Brian Billick comments on Alex and the system.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Black59Razor:
BOTTOM LINE:

Our Head Coach now is Mike "We'll Do Whatever It Takes To Win" Singletary, [b]NOT Mike "Stay The Course" Nolan. [/b]Why does everyone keep thinking all he wants to do is Run, Run, Run? He even mentioned it during the last press conference that the team has to strive for balance. Is a team that just runs all the time balanced at all?

THATS the biggest difference right there.
Indy, pittsburg, N.E., Zona all run a spread style offense. All have been to the super bowl recently. Those teams play to there personal. Sing knows this he will get it done.
I sure wish Billick was in the Niners organization. He could school everyone in the building.
I think Singletary wants something along the lines of the Seattle game. Gore breaking out, ball control, occasional passing, good defense, good special teams. The problem is if the running game is not moveing the pile, with a couple of break through good big runs, then you get behind and can not catch up.

Smith at least opens up some options. I would like to see Jones, Morgan, Crabtree, David, and Gore have success and open things up by 25%. I would like to see Gore get about 150 yards, open up the play action, and see if things could be set up for a couple of long ones to Jones and Morgan, and slant Crabtree. Davis with some screens and keep the ball moving and scoring.

So we will see what Mike and Jimmy have for us this Sunday.
You know what I really do have to eat some crow here.

Sorry Zone....YOU were RIGHT, and I was WRONG. You're SMART, I'M NOT

even though I am a staunch Alex Hater, I really did think I was making the right call last year or even prior when I thought Alex would have to revive his career somewhere else.

I thought there was no way SF and Alex did not part ways last off season.

I stand corrected.
  • x49ersx123
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/10/29/smith/index.html?

"If Alex makes it in San Francisco, that would be truly unique,'' said former Baltimore head coach Brian Billick, who served as the color analyst for FOX in San Francisco's 24-21 loss at Houston on Sunday, and watched first-hand as Smith re-started his career with three touchdown passes in 30 minutes. "You just don't get that second chance really with the same team. You typically have to go someplace else and start over. Is that going to happen here? We don't know yet. But Alex was brilliant Sunday.''

Interestingly, Billick made a point of how much against the Texans the "new'' Alex Smith played like the "old'' Alex Smith from his high-flying spread-offense days at Utah. Forced to open it up by the 21-point halftime deficit, the 49ers gave their fans a taste of what might be possible in a quick-strike offense built around the first-round talents of Smith, Davis and rookie receiver Michael Crabtree, with the added benefit of play-makers such as running back Frank Gore, second-year receiver Josh Morgan and veteran pass-catcher Isaac Bruce.

"I was very impressed with Michael Crabtree in [his first game],'' Billick said. "He's ahead of the curve. And with what they have there now, I think they have the pieces to run that kind of offense. Gore is a solid, single-back runner who doesn't really need a fullback. If you want to give Smith the best chance to succeed, that may be the way you have to go. What you saw from Alex Smith last Sunday, that's the Alex Smith we saw in college. That's his game.''

"Mike likes to anchor the offense around Gore, and that's Mike's persona right now,'' Billick said. "They spent a lot of time in the offseason and in camp saying, 'This is who we are. This is our mentality, and we have Frank Gore to run the ball with.' Do I think they'll change it? No. And I think they're going to lose because of it. In this day and age, more than ever in the league, you've got to have a quarterback.

"On Sunday, you saw what Alex Smith does well. He doesn't have a huge arm, but he's smart and fairly efficient with the ball. That lends itself to spreading things out. It's about giving your quarterback as many options as possible, and then letting him find the open man.''

"Can Mike [Singletary] give himself over to the so-called dark side?'' Billick said. "Can he say, 'I saw a style of play that can suit my quarterback, and we may have the complementary players to make that offense work,' and then embrace it? Or do they shove him in the I-formation and ask him to play that style? Because I'm not sure Alex Smith can prosper in that system any more than Warner did in New York, where you limit his options and ask him to make the big throw. I don't know that's who this guy [Smith] is, and he hasn't been to date.''

This is what I have always believed about Alex. He can succeed but we have been trying to plug him in the wrong system. Why do you try to put a square peg into a round hole? Why not just try to put a square peg in a square hole?

Warner is a good example. He's been terrible in certain offenses and excellent when in an offense that spreads out the WR's and gives a lot of options. He's been to a few Super Bowls to prove that. And he has won the Super Bowl. You can win in the NFL with that style.

Are we trying to fit Alex into something that is the wrong fit for him? And have we been doing that for years? And should we change to fit what he is good at? And what Crabtree also comes from and is comfortable with BTW.

I have to hand it to Billick, he has quickly become just about my favorite NFL commentator.
Originally posted by danimal:

even though I am a staunch Alex Hater, I really did think I was making the right call last year or even prior when I thought Alex would have to revive his career somewhere else.

I stand corrected.

Everyone makes a mistake every now and again, bottom line is we all want what is best for the team we love. If Smith is the QB that gets it done, this team is so much closer to being a championship caliber team.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Oct 31, 2009 at 11:18 AM ]
Originally posted by fzrdave:
I have to hand it to Billick, he has quickly become just about my favorite NFL commentator.

He's a very good commentator.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by fzrdave:

He's a very good commentator.

Agreed. Love listening to this guy call games.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I stand corrected.

Everyone makes a mistake every now and again, bottom line is we all want what is bets for the team we love. If Smith is the QB that gets it done, this team is so much closer to being a championship caliber team.

You know what Memphis, im wit you. But maybe it's just me, but it's funny how a lot of Hill supporters now in a lot of threads, i notice they keep talking about now our season being over, if we will win any games at all. I mean whats the deal? When Hill was in, they backed him, win or loss, a win and he was decent. A loss and it's a fluke and he'll be better next week. He was pulled and either you have those smith fans that are back in full swing, or the smith haters, that in their own way, when they respond, it's mostly negative.

I figured we all just want whats best for the team, but why is it so hard to think positive with Smith in, as they did with Hill. Hill was pulled for lack of production so i say get over it. It's like we all say we want whats best for the team, but it seems like half our fans, want the best, but with their ideal player.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I stand corrected.

Everyone makes a mistake every now and again, bottom line is we all want what is best for the team we love. If Smith is the QB that gets it done, this team is so much closer to being a championship caliber team.

You know what Memphis, im wit you. But maybe it's just me, but it's funny how a lot of Hill supporters now in a lot of threads, i notice they keep talking about now our season being over, if we will win any games at all. I mean whats the deal? When Hill was in, they backed him, win or loss, a win and he was decent. A loss and it's a fluke and he'll be better next week. He was pulled and either you have those smith fans that are back in full swing, or the smith haters, that in their own way, when they respond, it's mostly negative.

I figured we all just want whats best for the team, but why is it so hard to think positive with Smith in, as they did with Hill. Hill was pulled for lack of production so i say get over it. It's like we all say we want whats best for the team, but it seems like half our fans, want the best, but with their ideal player.

It is not really funny, it is kinda sad that there are folks that would rather be able to say they were right about Smith being a bust than to have him play like the QB we thought we drafted. I am spoiled from seeing back to back hall of fame QB's and 18 straight years of winning records, I am tired of my team not being in the playoffs. Right now I wouldn't care if the QB's name was Sally as long as he could help us win. We do have some very irrational fans, they way that they act towards Smith, you'd think he banged their mom/sister/girlfriend and made them watch, I just do not get some of these people.
Starting to read more and more that Singletary is butting up against his ceiling. He may think he is the greatest but many consider him bone instead of head. I think he is on the cusp of stinking it up if he does not use more intelligense on his playcalling etc. He is not as bright as he might want to be but he has to realize he needs top brains around him and to use them. I think if he shows that he is not capable of being a good coach, I think we need to cut him asap. To linger with a loser is to die forever.
Originally posted by prometheus:
Starting to read more and more that Singletary is butting up against his ceiling. He may think he is the greatest but many consider him bone instead of head. I think he is on the cusp of stinking it up if he does not use more intelligense on his playcalling etc. He is not as bright as he might want to be but he has to realize he needs top brains around him and to use them. I think if he shows that he is not capable of being a good coach, I think we need to cut him asap. To linger with a loser is to die forever.

He doesn't call plays. I doubt he thinks he is the greatest, he seems like a humble individual. I am not sure what you are basing your assumptions on, but I would suggest you might want to rethink where your headed with them.
  • Black59Razor
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by prometheus:

Do you write slogans for commercials or Hallmark greeting cards?
Share 49ersWebzone