LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

Brian Billick comments on Alex and the system.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Mospeed:
All this speculation is just that.

What's speculation about it. LOL...

Everytime Alex has shown success in college and the pros it's in a system that suits the way he plays. Spread it out and have lots of options. The success he's had even with the 49ers has been in a lot of cases in those formations and situations. Certainly his college experience shows this to be the case.

Experience and past history shows this to be the case. It's not just "speculation" at all.
I don't think this offense will change much but I do think they will execute better and challenge the defense downlfield more often.

Gore will still run the rock, Crabtree will dominate on the edges, and Vernon will work the middle of the field.
While I agree that from Day One Alex should have been given a system that actually fit his ability, Billick doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

1) we all know that the Niners weren't running a spread in the 2nd half.

2) Gore's best season came when running behind a fullback.

In theory I guess I agree with him, but in the details he's just like any other national football writer or talking head. they don't follow any team closely and can speak only from assumptions.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
While I agree that from Day One Alex should have been given a system that actually fit his ability, Billick doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

In theory I guess I agree with him, but in the details he's just like any other national football writer or talking head. they don't follow any team closely and can speak only from assumptions.

He wasn't saying this is what we were doing. He was saying this is what we should do.

BTW he called the game for NFL network and I think Billick has a track record of knowledge and success in the NFL so yes he does know what he is talking about.
Alex is a 25 year old man who knows the current offensive system well enough to get results.

He's not the 20 year old kid who looked like a deer caught in the headlights anymore, I have a good feeling Alex will develop into a solid QB this season
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

He wasn't saying this is what we were doing. He was saying this is what we should do.

BTW he called the game for NFL network and I think Billick has a track record of knowledge and success in the NFL so yes he does know what he is talking about.

hmm, maybe i did misread it. I stand by my statement though that his knowledge of this team is cursory at best.
Originally posted by B650:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/10/29/smith/index.html?

"If Alex makes it in San Francisco, that would be truly unique,'' said former Baltimore head coach Brian Billick, who served as the color analyst for FOX in San Francisco's 24-21 loss at Houston on Sunday, and watched first-hand as Smith re-started his career with three touchdown passes in 30 minutes. "You just don't get that second chance really with the same team. You typically have to go someplace else and start over. Is that going to happen here? We don't know yet. But Alex was brilliant Sunday.''

Interestingly, Billick made a point of how much against the Texans the "new'' Alex Smith played like the "old'' Alex Smith from his high-flying spread-offense days at Utah. Forced to open it up by the 21-point halftime deficit, the 49ers gave their fans a taste of what might be possible in a quick-strike offense built around the first-round talents of Smith, Davis and rookie receiver Michael Crabtree, with the added benefit of play-makers such as running back Frank Gore, second-year receiver Josh Morgan and veteran pass-catcher Isaac Bruce.

"I was very impressed with Michael Crabtree in [his first game],'' Billick said. "He's ahead of the curve. And with what they have there now, I think they have the pieces to run that kind of offense. Gore is a solid, single-back runner who doesn't really need a fullback. If you want to give Smith the best chance to succeed, that may be the way you have to go. What you saw from Alex Smith last Sunday, that's the Alex Smith we saw in college. That's his game.''

"Mike likes to anchor the offense around Gore, and that's Mike's persona right now,'' Billick said. "They spent a lot of time in the offseason and in camp saying, 'This is who we are. This is our mentality, and we have Frank Gore to run the ball with.' Do I think they'll change it? No. And I think they're going to lose because of it. In this day and age, more than ever in the league, you've got to have a quarterback.

"On Sunday, you saw what Alex Smith does well. He doesn't have a huge arm, but he's smart and fairly efficient with the ball. That lends itself to spreading things out. It's about giving your quarterback as many options as possible, and then letting him find the open man.''

"Can Mike [Singletary] give himself over to the so-called dark side?'' Billick said. "Can he say, 'I saw a style of play that can suit my quarterback, and we may have the complementary players to make that offense work,' and then embrace it? Or do they shove him in the I-formation and ask him to play that style? Because I'm not sure Alex Smith can prosper in that system any more than Warner did in New York, where you limit his options and ask him to make the big throw. I don't know that's who this guy [Smith] is, and he hasn't been to date.''

This is what I have always believed about Alex. He can succeed but we have been trying to plug him in the wrong system. Why do you try to put a square peg into a round hole? Why not just try to put a square peg in a square hole.

Warner is a good example. He's been terrible in certain offenses and excellent when in an offense that spreads out the WR's and gives a lot of options. He's been to a few Super Bowls to prove that. And he has won the Super Bowl. You can win in the NFL with that style.

Are we trying to fit Alex into something that is the wrong fit for him? And have we been doing that for years? And should we change to fit what he is good at? And what Crabtree also comes from and is comfortable with BTW.

Isn't Jimmy Raye's offense the same offense Alex had in 2006 with Norv Turner? I believe it is, and if that's the case, it's a step forward. I also think that Singletary and Raye aren't as stubborn as we think they are. They'll tailor the offense around what it does best, and right now, it seems to be passing the ball. Doesn't mean that they won't try to run it; they will. If the run doesn't work however, and we get down to teams, we'll see the same offense that took the field in the 2nd half of the Houston game.

I think they are stubborn especially Singletary. Despite all his denials he would love to see 3 yards and a cloud of dust all day long and never throw. But I don't think that's who Alex is and he never was. Slamming it into the pile with 8 - 9 in the box just isn't going to work anymore.

Alex from a spread offense and success with it and Crabtree from a spread offense and success with it. Why not go with what your players are?

I agree. We've been trying to put a round peg in a square hole far too long. Let these guys do what they do BEST!!!

I have to disagree with Sing being stubborn. Nolan was way more stubborn than Sing. Sing wants what he wants but is willing to shake things up if need be!
Singletary will do whatever's necessary to make the team better and win.

He will have Raye format the offense to suit the skillset of Alex, Crabs, Gore, VD, and the rest.

Gore is a great pass catcher too---don't forget that. Singleback set with 3WR and VD---noone open--great dump off to Gore who'll rumble for 5-8 yds because of the one less linebacker the defense will have.

I just say mix it up but focus on what suits the talent of the players we have. 60/40 spread/I form-run/pass. Gore is good behind Norris--we just need the oline to grow some heart.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/10/29/smith/index.html?

"If Alex makes it in San Francisco, that would be truly unique,'' said former Baltimore head coach Brian Billick, who served as the color analyst for FOX in San Francisco's 24-21 loss at Houston on Sunday, and watched first-hand as Smith re-started his career with three touchdown passes in 30 minutes. "You just don't get that second chance really with the same team. You typically have to go someplace else and start over. Is that going to happen here? We don't know yet. But Alex was brilliant Sunday.''

Interestingly, Billick made a point of how much against the Texans the "new'' Alex Smith played like the "old'' Alex Smith from his high-flying spread-offense days at Utah. Forced to open it up by the 21-point halftime deficit, the 49ers gave their fans a taste of what might be possible in a quick-strike offense built around the first-round talents of Smith, Davis and rookie receiver Michael Crabtree, with the added benefit of play-makers such as running back Frank Gore, second-year receiver Josh Morgan and veteran pass-catcher Isaac Bruce.

"I was very impressed with Michael Crabtree in [his first game],'' Billick said. "He's ahead of the curve. And with what they have there now, I think they have the pieces to run that kind of offense. Gore is a solid, single-back runner who doesn't really need a fullback. If you want to give Smith the best chance to succeed, that may be the way you have to go. What you saw from Alex Smith last Sunday, that's the Alex Smith we saw in college. That's his game.''

"Mike likes to anchor the offense around Gore, and that's Mike's persona right now,'' Billick said. "They spent a lot of time in the offseason and in camp saying, 'This is who we are. This is our mentality, and we have Frank Gore to run the ball with.' Do I think they'll change it? No. And I think they're going to lose because of it. In this day and age, more than ever in the league, you've got to have a quarterback.

"On Sunday, you saw what Alex Smith does well. He doesn't have a huge arm, but he's smart and fairly efficient with the ball. That lends itself to spreading things out. It's about giving your quarterback as many options as possible, and then letting him find the open man.''

"Can Mike [Singletary] give himself over to the so-called dark side?'' Billick said. "Can he say, 'I saw a style of play that can suit my quarterback, and we may have the complementary players to make that offense work,' and then embrace it? Or do they shove him in the I-formation and ask him to play that style? Because I'm not sure Alex Smith can prosper in that system any more than Warner did in New York, where you limit his options and ask him to make the big throw. I don't know that's who this guy [Smith] is, and he hasn't been to date.''

This is what I have always believed about Alex. He can succeed but we have been trying to plug him in the wrong system. Why do you try to put a square peg into a round hole? Why not just try to put a square peg in a square hole.

Warner is a good example. He's been terrible in certain offenses and excellent when in an offense that spreads out the WR's and gives a lot of options. He's been to a few Super Bowls to prove that. And he has won the Super Bowl. You can win in the NFL with that style.

Are we trying to fit Alex into something that is the wrong fit for him? And have we been doing that for years? And should we change to fit what he is good at? And what Crabtree also comes from and is comfortable with BTW.

Isn't Jimmy Raye's offense the same offense Alex had in 2006 with Norv Turner? I believe it is, and if that's the case, it's a step forward. I also think that Singletary and Raye aren't as stubborn as we think they are. They'll tailor the offense around what it does best, and right now, it seems to be passing the ball. Doesn't mean that they won't try to run it; they will. If the run doesn't work however, and we get down to teams, we'll see the same offense that took the field in the 2nd half of the Houston game.

Yes, it is based on the same principles. They come from the same Don Coryell school of offensive principles.
I think the current offense will work fine with Smith, it just looked like 3 yards and a cloud of dust because we were starting a QB that doesn't scare have the ability to consistently get the ball down the field. They ran the same offense for Smith in the second half last Sunday that they did for Hill, the reason it looked so much more dynamic is because Smith can spread the ball around, whereas Hill is going to go to his first read or dump it off to the back. I think with Smith we see more 3 wide and maybe an occasional 4 wide set. Also the defense won't be able to stack the box like they could with Hill in there because Smith will get the ball down the field. I said it in the preseason, and got slammed for it by the Smith bashers, but Smith is a more dynamic QB than Hill has the physical tools to be. Hill has heart, but that only gets you so far.

• Black59Razor
  • Info N/A
BOTTOM LINE:

Our Head Coach now is Mike "We'll Do Whatever It Takes To Win" Singletary, NOT Mike "Stay The Course" Nolan. Why does everyone keep thinking all he wants to do is Run, Run, Run? He even mentioned it during the last press conference that the team has to strive for balance. Is a team that just runs all the time balanced at all?
Call me crazy but if we DO start running the spread, to cater to the strenghts of our offensive play makers in smith, crabtree, davis etc... wouldn't that in turn open up the running game and leave defenses vulnerable to an occasional draw play?

Where is the draw? Gore has had MUCH success with draw plays. Wouldn't that help out our struggling run game?
Originally posted by zozell:
Call me crazy but if we DO start running the spread, to cater to the strenghts of our offensive play makers in smith, crabtree, davis etc... wouldn't that in turn open up the running game and leave defenses vulnerable to an occasional draw play?

Where is the draw? Gore has had MUCH success with draw plays. Wouldn't that help out our struggling run game?

I agree. This offense needs to become the aggressor & not just game managing offense. I think we could have something very special on our hands by the end of the season.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Good Read.....

I worry about the same thing Billick mentioned. How we will lose because we almost refuse to pass. Sing better swallow his pride and start winning some games. If that means passing the ball for 400 yds a game then thats what you do. The only option is to try and win. Not play a style you like. You play to win the game.

Singletary has shown that he's all about winning. He does everything it takes to win. Putting in Crabtree, benching Hill...and if the offense still can't run the ball, we'll be passing the ball. He isn't as stubborn as people think. I really believe that. He knows that if he doesn't produce wins, he'll be fired one day. Also note that Jimmy Raye's Chiefs in 2000 were 5th in the league in passing, yet Raye also had Eric Dickerson on his roster at point and he ran for 2,000 yards. So I think that Raye will do whatever it takes to win and that means he'll take into consideration the talent we have and get the most out of it. These guys don't land jobs by being completely stupid.

I tend to agree with this. Singletary will do what it takes to win. He's not afraid to make changes and if he drills the run up the middle of the first half with no success against Indy it would be a huge mistake. Go balanced Mike! Spread em out! pass to open up the run!

LB
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Good Read.....
Singletary obviously isnt that stubborn,most would have let hill finish the game especially if he is the reason you have your job now!but he without hesistation put smith in after halftime and gave up on what got him here.So we ll see if he can continue to do whats.........right!

I worry about the same thing Billick mentioned. How we will lose because we almost refuse to pass. Sing better swallow his pride and start winning some games. If that means passing the ball for 400 yds a game then thats what you do. The only option is to try and win. Not play a style you like. You play to win the game.

I think Singletary will slam it into the pile against 9 in the box over and over before he goes 4 WR's and a spread. But I think he's making a mistake. That's not really who Alex is and it's not the system Crabtree is from for that matter either.
Share 49ersWebzone