LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 140 users in the forums

Brian Billick comments on Alex and the system.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by B650:
Good Read.....

I worry about the same thing Billick mentioned. How we will lose because we almost refuse to pass. Sing better swallow his pride and start winning some games. If that means passing the ball for 400 yds a game then thats what you do. The only option is to try and win. Not play a style you like. You play to win the game.

Singletary has shown that he's all about winning. He does everything it takes to win. Putting in Crabtree, benching Hill...and if the offense still can't run the ball, we'll be passing the ball. He isn't as stubborn as people think. I really believe that. He knows that if he doesn't produce wins, he'll be fired one day. Also note that Jimmy Raye's Chiefs in 2000 were 5th in the league in passing, yet Raye also had Eric Dickerson on his roster at point and he ran for 2,000 yards. So I think that Raye will do whatever it takes to win and that means he'll take into consideration the talent we have and get the most out of it. These guys don't land jobs by being completely stupid.

I think he would die first before running a spread offense. He wants 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Actually he specifically says he doesnt want 3yds and a cloud of dust. In this Mondays press conference at the 4 min mark.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Singletarys-Press-Pass-102809/603cd29f-1762-4812-857c-adbf06900f6a#?id=a8dd4570-af7c-44f1-957a-d0f4e02daddb

Michael Lewis and Brandon Jones will both be active. That's good news.
"Game manager" is another phrase for "bad quarterback."

"Conservative offense" is another word for "bad offense."

Billick seems to hit the nail on the head. Many on the zone have felt the same way for years.

Singletary says he is not a 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy (of course with us its more like 1 yard and a cloud of dust), we'll see if he really means it this Sunday.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 30, 2009 at 1:20 AM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
"Game manager" is another phrase for "bad quarterback."

"Conservative offense" is another word for "bad offense."

Billick seem to hit the nail on the head. Many on the zone have felt the same way for years.

Singletary says he is not a 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy (of course with us its more like 1 yard and a cloud of dust), we'll see if he really means it this Sunday.

I believe Billick is right.
Originally posted by cestmoi:
Good Read.....

I worry about the same thing Billick mentioned. How we will lose because we almost refuse to pass. Sing better swallow his pride and start winning some games. If that means passing the ball for 400 yds a game then thats what you do. The only option is to try and win. Not play a style you like. You play to win the game.

Singletary has shown that he's all about winning. He does everything it takes to win. Putting in Crabtree, benching Hill...and if the offense still can't run the ball, we'll be passing the ball. He isn't as stubborn as people think. I really believe that. He knows that if he doesn't produce wins, he'll be fired one day. Also note that Jimmy Raye's Chiefs in 2000 were 5th in the league in passing, yet Raye also had Eric Dickerson on his roster at point and he ran for 2,000 yards. So I think that Raye will do whatever it takes to win and that means he'll take into consideration the talent we have and get the most out of it. These guys don't land jobs by being completely stupid.

I think he would die first before running a spread offense. He wants 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

He also wanted to run the ball and hit people in the mouth, with a QB who "manages" games. How did that go? We're passing more than we're running and our managing QB is managing the bench right now. He wants to win and I think he'll do anything it takes. I'm not so sure that he'll do anything extreme like put go 4 wide on every single play, but I do think we'll pass the ball if we have success doing it. You can't blame the guy for wanting to run the ball. All coaches know the importance of running, and we have a good RB to do it. It's just that the OL is having a hard time creating anything for Gore.

Hopefully with Smith in there, everything will open up and solve itself. Raye claims that the play calling didn't change with Smith in there. I'm not so sure. He also said that Crabtree ran only 2 routes in college, so I don't know. The offense did appear different. I saw 3 or 4 WRs consistently in the 2nd half. With Hill in there, I saw mainly 2, and maybe 3 once in a while.

The main thing is that even if we do run the same offense that we did before, it'll be more efficient if Smith plays like he did against Houston. No offense is supposed to resemble the offense we displayed against Atlanta and Houston in the 1st half.

Crabtree said he ran 10 routes in college so shows what Raye knows.

Raye was sleeping during the film study of Crabtree.

Why does everyone ignore the rest of that quote from Raye. He also said all he watched at that point was his highlights film. He kept saying he only ran two basic routes in all those highlights.
  • B650
  • Veteran
“We’re not going to be stubborn and try to jam a square peg into a round hole,” Raye said.

From http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091029/sports/910299890.

If something isn't working, they'll do something else.

If running doesn't work, we'll open it up and pass the ball now that we have a QB that can do it. I don't expect us to remain 22nd in rushing though. When the passing game improves, so will the running game.
Great read. I think this team can become a passing team that will be able to throw or run for a first down once we show we can complete passes over 15 yards more than one time a game. Shaun Hill never seemed to take a chance or a shot to loosen up the defense unless it was wide open.
From MM on Twitter:

MattMaiocco

It's your imagination. Actually, 52.59% runs on 1st-n-10. RT @RawbHuss Does jimmy raye call a run play on first down about 80% of the time?

So much for 3 and out in a cloud of dust.
Who the Spread Works For?

Alex Smith
Offensive Line (Better Pass than Run Blockers)
Frank Gore
Michael Crabtree
Josh Morgan
Jason Hill
Brandon Jones
Vernon Davis - More Catches/Less Blocking

There is a lot of speed up there!!!

Who Doesn't It Work For?
Mike Singletary - He says he will do what it takes to win (3/4/5WR) but will he change his hard nose ways?

To me we can still dink and dunk down the field and eat clock. A more pass based attack will open up some room for Gore. Why bang our heads into a brick wall repeatedly? If we open it up some it can A)Say hey, back up we aren't afraid to go deep on you B)Possibly result in pass interference calls. That doesn't mean we have to go deep all the time. I'd like to see a shot early in the game though. Every so often.... previously we didn't even want to go deep when we are down big. Also, if going deep doesn't work we shouldn't necessarily go back to a run the next play. Don't be afraid to go right back to a deep ball.
I wish we would start the game with a ton of passing. It would really open up the run game, wehre they would never know what to expect. That is why Indy's run game is actually improving, because everyone expects the pass, then Addai gets the handoff and breaks a decent run.

Didn't Gore have a lot of explosive runs last year because of this?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
This is exactly why 1st round QB's fail in the NFL as bad as they do. GM's draft QB's and try to mold them into the system they run. Instead of drafting QB's to fit what you run.

Well, how many games is it going to take?

I can understand a transition within the same offense to something that suites Smith. Why didn't Smith get the job in the first place? Could the Minn. game have been different if the play calling wasn't so conservative? Now the loss to the Texans, didn't open things up until you are down 21 zip. Way to go. How many more games is it going to take to figure out how to use your offense?
Many, if not most, zoners have expressed a desire to have a more balanced or aerial game...not the cloud of dust. Now we will see if that is possible and I hope Raye and Singletary can adapt. Raye worked with M. Shottenheimer (twice) so he knows something about the passing game.

Smith (Hill) does not have the protection for slow developing plays when the box is stacked, so they need to punish defenses for stacking...not try to plow their way through. That was why the Walsh O worked so well, do what the defense allows and then when you are ahead and their defense is tired (2nd half) run it down their throats!
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Who the Spread Works For?

Alex Smith
Offensive Line (Better Pass than Run Blockers)
Frank Gore
Michael Crabtree
Josh Morgan
Jason Hill
Brandon Jones
Vernon Davis - More Catches/Less Blocking

There is a lot of speed up there!!!

Who Doesn't It Work For?
Mike Singletary - He says he will do what it takes to win (3/4/5WR) but will he change his hard nose ways?

To me we can still dink and dunk down the field and eat clock. A more pass based attack will open up some room for Gore. Why bang our heads into a brick wall repeatedly? If we open it up some it can A)Say hey, back up we aren't afraid to go deep on you B)Possibly result in pass interference calls. That doesn't mean we have to go deep all the time. I'd like to see a shot early in the game though. Every so often.... previously we didn't even want to go deep when we are down big. Also, if going deep doesn't work we shouldn't necessarily go back to a run the next play. Don't be afraid to go right back to a deep ball.

This.
Originally posted by krizay:
This is exactly why 1st round QB's fail in the NFL as bad as they do. GM's draft QB's and try to mold them into the system they run. Instead of drafting QB's to fit what you run.

Yes that is correct. Taking a square peg and trying to fit him into a round hole doesn't make sense. You take a square peg and fit it into a square hole. I don't think this is who Alex is all these years (the offense we have been trying to play). Either we play what is best for him or get a different QB to play the way we want to play.

Since we already have him IMO it makes sense to play to his strengths instead of his weaknesses. There are things he can do well in the correct system.
All this speculation is just that.
Share 49ersWebzone