There are 285 users in the forums

Brian Billick comments on Alex and the system.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/10/29/smith/index.html?

"If Alex makes it in San Francisco, that would be truly unique,'' said former Baltimore head coach Brian Billick, who served as the color analyst for FOX in San Francisco's 24-21 loss at Houston on Sunday, and watched first-hand as Smith re-started his career with three touchdown passes in 30 minutes. "You just don't get that second chance really with the same team. You typically have to go someplace else and start over. Is that going to happen here? We don't know yet. But Alex was brilliant Sunday.''

Interestingly, Billick made a point of how much against the Texans the "new'' Alex Smith played like the "old'' Alex Smith from his high-flying spread-offense days at Utah. Forced to open it up by the 21-point halftime deficit, the 49ers gave their fans a taste of what might be possible in a quick-strike offense built around the first-round talents of Smith, Davis and rookie receiver Michael Crabtree, with the added benefit of play-makers such as running back Frank Gore, second-year receiver Josh Morgan and veteran pass-catcher Isaac Bruce.

"I was very impressed with Michael Crabtree in [his first game],'' Billick said. "He's ahead of the curve. And with what they have there now, I think they have the pieces to run that kind of offense. Gore is a solid, single-back runner who doesn't really need a fullback. If you want to give Smith the best chance to succeed, that may be the way you have to go. What you saw from Alex Smith last Sunday, that's the Alex Smith we saw in college. That's his game.''

"Mike likes to anchor the offense around Gore, and that's Mike's persona right now,'' Billick said. "They spent a lot of time in the offseason and in camp saying, 'This is who we are. This is our mentality, and we have Frank Gore to run the ball with.' Do I think they'll change it? No. And I think they're going to lose because of it. In this day and age, more than ever in the league, you've got to have a quarterback.

"On Sunday, you saw what Alex Smith does well. He doesn't have a huge arm, but he's smart and fairly efficient with the ball. That lends itself to spreading things out. It's about giving your quarterback as many options as possible, and then letting him find the open man.''

"Can Mike [Singletary] give himself over to the so-called dark side?'' Billick said. "Can he say, 'I saw a style of play that can suit my quarterback, and we may have the complementary players to make that offense work,' and then embrace it? Or do they shove him in the I-formation and ask him to play that style? Because I'm not sure Alex Smith can prosper in that system any more than Warner did in New York, where you limit his options and ask him to make the big throw. I don't know that's who this guy [Smith] is, and he hasn't been to date.''

This is what I have always believed about Alex. He can succeed but we have been trying to plug him in the wrong system. Why do you try to put a square peg into a round hole? Why not just try to put a square peg in a square hole?

Warner is a good example. He's been terrible in certain offenses and excellent when in an offense that spreads out the WR's and gives a lot of options. He's been to a few Super Bowls to prove that. And he has won the Super Bowl. You can win in the NFL with that style.

Are we trying to fit Alex into something that is the wrong fit for him? And have we been doing that for years? And should we change to fit what he is good at? And what Crabtree also comes from and is comfortable with BTW.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 29, 2009 at 10:24 PM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

"If Alex makes it in San Francisco, that would be truly unique,'' said former Baltimore head coach Brian Billick, who served as the color analyst for FOX in San Francisco's 24-21 loss at Houston on Sunday, and watched first-hand as Smith re-started his career with three touchdown passes in 30 minutes. "You just don't get that second chance really with the same team. You typically have to go someplace else and start over. Is that going to happen here? We don't know yet. But Alex was brilliant Sunday.''

Interestingly, Billick made a point of how much against the Texans the "new'' Alex Smith played like the "old'' Alex Smith from his high-flying spread-offense days at Utah. Forced to open it up by the 21-point halftime deficit, the 49ers gave their fans a taste of what might be possible in a quick-strike offense built around the first-round talents of Smith, Davis and rookie receiver Michael Crabtree, with the added benefit of play-makers such as running back Frank Gore, second-year receiver Josh Morgan and veteran pass-catcher Isaac Bruce.

"I was very impressed with Michael Crabtree in [his first game],'' Billick said. "He's ahead of the curve. And with what they have there now, I think they have the pieces to run that kind of offense. Gore is a solid, single-back runner who doesn't really need a fullback. If you want to give Smith the best chance to succeed, that may be the way you have to go. What you saw from Alex Smith last Sunday, that's the Alex Smith we saw in college. That's his game.''

"Mike likes to anchor the offense around Gore, and that's Mike's persona right now,'' Billick said. "They spent a lot of time in the offseason and in camp saying, 'This is who we are. This is our mentality, and we have Frank Gore to run the ball with.' Do I think they'll change it? No. And I think they're going to lose because of it. In this day and age, more than ever in the league, you've got to have a quarterback.

"On Sunday, you saw what Alex Smith does well. He doesn't have a huge arm, but he's smart and fairly efficient with the ball. That lends itself to spreading things out. It's about giving your quarterback as many options as possible, and then letting him find the open man.''

"Can Mike [Singletary] give himself over to the so-called dark side?'' Billick said. "Can he say, 'I saw a style of play that can suit my quarterback, and we may have the complementary players to make that offense work,' and then embrace it? Or do they shove him in the I-formation and ask him to play that style? Because I'm not sure Alex Smith can prosper in that system any more than Warner did in New York, where you limit his options and ask him to make the big throw. I don't know that's who this guy [Smith] is, and he hasn't been to date.''

This is what I have always believed about Alex. He can succeed but we have been trying to plug him in the wrong system. Why do you try to put a square peg into a round hole? Why not just try to put a square peg in a square hole.

Warner is a good example. He's been terrible in certain offenses and excellent when in an offense that spreads out the WR's and gives a lot of options. He's been to a few Super Bowls to prove that. And he has won the Super Bowl. You can win in the NFL with that style.

Are we trying to fit Alex into something that is the wrong fit for him? And have we been doing that for years? And should we change to fit what he is good at? And what Crabtree also comes from and is comfortable with BTW.

Isn't Jimmy Raye's offense the same offense Alex had in 2006 with Norv Turner? I believe it is, and if that's the case, it's a step forward. I also think that Singletary and Raye aren't as stubborn as we think they are. They'll tailor the offense around what it does best, and right now, it seems to be passing the ball. Doesn't mean that they won't try to run it; they will. If the run doesn't work however, and we get down to teams, we'll see the same offense that took the field in the 2nd half of the Houston game.
Originally posted by B650:

This is what I have always believed about Alex. He can succeed but we have been trying to plug him in the wrong system. Why do you try to put a square peg into a round hole? Why not just try to put a square peg in a square hole.

Isn't Jimmy Raye's offense the same offense Alex had in 2006 with Norv Turner? I believe it is, and if that's the case, it's a step forward. I also think that Singletary and Raye aren't as stubborn as we think they are. They'll tailor the offense around what it does best, and right now, it seems to be passing the ball. Doesn't mean that they won't try to run it; they will. If the run doesn't work however, and we get down to teams, we'll see the same offense that took the field in the 2nd half of the Houston game.

I think they are stubborn especially Singletary. Despite all his denials he would love to see 3 yards and a cloud of dust all day long and never throw. But I don't think that's who Alex is and he never was. Slamming it into the pile with 8 - 9 in the box just isn't going to work anymore.

Alex from a spread offense and success with it and Crabtree from a spread offense and success with it. Why not go with what your players are?
  • B650
  • Veteran

I think they are stubborn especially Singletary. Despite all his denials he would love to see 3 yards and a cloud of dust all day long and never throw. But I don't think that's who Alex is and he never was. Slamming it into the pile with 8 - 9 in the box just isn't going to work anymore.

Alex from a spread offense and success with it and Crabtree from a spread offense and success with it. Why not go with what your players are?

Well, we had success with it in one half of one game, so I don't think anyone is ready to change the offense just yet. I could see them changing it if we continue to struggle on offense for a couple more games.
Good Read.....

I worry about the same thing Billick mentioned. How we will lose because we almost refuse to pass. Sing better swallow his pride and start winning some games. If that means passing the ball for 400 yds a game then thats what you do. The only option is to try and win. Not play a style you like. You play to win the game.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Good Read.....

I worry about the same thing Billick mentioned. How we will lose because we almost refuse to pass. Sing better swallow his pride and start winning some games. If that means passing the ball for 400 yds a game then thats what you do. The only option is to try and win. Not play a style you like. You play to win the game.

I think Singletary will slam it into the pile against 9 in the box over and over before he goes 4 WR's and a spread. But I think he's making a mistake. That's not really who Alex is and it's not the system Crabtree is from for that matter either.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Good Read.....

Singletary has shown that he's all about winning. He does everything it takes to win. Putting in Crabtree, benching Hill...and if the offense still can't run the ball, we'll be passing the ball. He isn't as stubborn as people think. I really believe that. He knows that if he doesn't produce wins, he'll be fired one day. Also note that Jimmy Raye's Chiefs in 2000 were 5th in the league in passing, yet Raye also had Eric Dickerson on his roster at point and he ran for 2,000 yards. So I think that Raye will do whatever it takes to win and that means he'll take into consideration the talent we have and get the most out of it. These guys don't land jobs by being completely stupid.
Good Read.....

Singletary has shown that he's all about winning. He does everything it takes to win. Putting in Crabtree, benching Hill...and if the offense still can't run the ball, we'll be passing the ball. He isn't as stubborn as people think. I really believe that. He knows that if he doesn't produce wins, he'll be fired one day. Also note that Jimmy Raye's Chiefs in 2000 were 5th in the league in passing, yet Raye also had Eric Dickerson on his roster at point and he ran for 2,000 yards. So I think that Raye will do whatever it takes to win and that means he'll take into consideration the talent we have and get the most out of it. These guys don't land jobs by being completely stupid.

I think he would die first before running a spread offense. He wants 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Good Read.....

I think he would die first before running a spread offense. He wants 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

He also wanted to run the ball and hit people in the mouth, with a QB who "manages" games. How did that go? We're passing more than we're running and our managing QB is managing the bench right now. He wants to win and I think he'll do anything it takes. I'm not so sure that he'll do anything extreme like put go 4 wide on every single play, but I do think we'll pass the ball if we have success doing it. You can't blame the guy for wanting to run the ball. All coaches know the importance of running, and we have a good RB to do it. It's just that the OL is having a hard time creating anything for Gore.

Hopefully with Smith in there, everything will open up and solve itself. Raye claims that the play calling didn't change with Smith in there. I'm not so sure. He also said that Crabtree ran only 2 routes in college, so I don't know. The offense did appear different. I saw 3 or 4 WRs consistently in the 2nd half. With Hill in there, I saw mainly 2, and maybe 3 once in a while.

The main thing is that even if we do run the same offense that we did before, it'll be more efficient if Smith plays like he did against Houston. No offense is supposed to resemble the offense we displayed against Atlanta and Houston in the 1st half.
Good Read.....

He also wanted to run the ball and hit people in the mouth, with a QB who "manages" games. How did that go? We're passing more than we're running and our managing QB is managing the bench right now. He wants to win and I think he'll do anything it takes. I'm not so sure that he'll do anything extreme like put go 4 wide on every single play, but I do think we'll pass the ball if we have success doing it. You can't blame the guy for wanting to run the ball. All coaches know the importance of running, and we have a good RB to do it. It's just that the OL is having a hard time creating anything for Gore.

Hopefully with Smith in there, everything will open up and solve itself. Raye claims that the play calling didn't change with Smith in there. I'm not so sure. He also said that Crabtree ran only 2 routes in college, so I don't know. The offense did appear different. I saw 3 or 4 WRs consistently in the 2nd half. With Hill in there, I saw mainly 2, and maybe 3 once in a while.

The main thing is that even if we do run the same offense that we did before, it'll be more efficient if Smith plays like he did against Houston. No offense is supposed to resemble the offense we displayed against Atlanta and Houston in the 1st half.

IMO we should spread it out more. It will give Alex his best chance to succeed and put him in a system he has a natural feel for. Plus you may get some side benefits of having greater production from Crabtree who is also comfortable with that system. We don't have to do spread all the time and of course we will still run a lot and should. But I think we have to get away from slamming it into the pile with 3 yards and a cloud of dust over and over in a stubborn fashion.

• B650
  • Veteran
Good Read.....

IMO we should spread it out more. It will give Alex his best chance to succeed and put him in a system he has a natural feel for. Plus you may get some side benefits of having greater production from Crabtree who is also comfortable with that system. We don't have to do spread all the time and of course we will still run a lot and should. But I think we have to get away from slamming it into the pile with 3 yards and a cloud of dust over and over in a stubborn fashion.

Yeah, but I don't think their original plan was to run it for 3 yards on every play. They thought we'd be able to run the ball with Gore and Coffee, and unfortunately, we haven't been able to. Honestly though, I think a lot of it has to do with Shaun Hill. Notice how even the run game improved with Smith in there? It's because Hill was too one-dimensional and teams figured him out. It took long enough, but I really think Smith will solve a lot of our problems. Plus, we don't have a very tough schedule. Even if we don't play our best ball, we should still compete for a playoff spot and go 9-7, which is a step in the right direction.

If the offense plays like it did in the 2nd half against Houston, we'll be in the playoffs. I agree that we should open up the playbook and let Smith wing it, but we can't ignore running the football. We have a great back and it always helps to be able to chew clock.
Good Read.....

Crabtree said he ran 10 routes in college so shows what Raye knows.
Good Read.....

Actually he specifically says he doesnt want 3yds and a cloud of dust. In this Mondays press conference at the 4 min mark.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Singletarys-Press-Pass-102809/603cd29f-1762-4812-857c-adbf06900f6a#?id=a8dd4570-af7c-44f1-957a-d0f4e02daddb
Good Read.....

Actually he specifically says he doesnt want 3yds and a cloud of dust. In this Mondays press conference at the 4 min mark.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Singletarys-Press-Pass-102809/603cd29f-1762-4812-857c-adbf06900f6a#?id=a8dd4570-af7c-44f1-957a-d0f4e02daddb

He says that but he really wants 3 yards and a cloud of dust. He just doesn't like to admit it.
Originally posted by cestmoi:
Good Read.....

Crabtree said he ran 10 routes in college so shows what Raye knows.

Raye was sleeping during the film study of Crabtree.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone