LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

Brian Baldinger on Alex Smith - NFL Playbook.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
our D is too vanilla, with no pressure on the QB. Peyton is licking his lips.
When Baldy speaks, I never hear what he's saying because his disgustingly mangled pinky keeps talking over him like this...

Alex Smith had a lot of bad outings, so that one great half hasn't made me a believer just yet. The one huge positive that I saw in that half, though, was that his throws were mostly on target. The biggest problem I think he used to have was his absolute inability to lead his receivers. If in fact he has overcome this problem, then that performance might just be indicative that he has become the real deal. I think we'll all know more in a couple weeks.
  • Luca
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ghostrider:
When Baldy speaks, I never hear what he's saying because his disgustingly mangled pinky keeps talking over him like this...

LMAO, thiswas funny!!!!!!!!
Raye, naturally, was not ready to say that the 49ers will go pass-crazy from now until January.

He logically pointed out that the success in the second half against Houston came when the 49ers were down 21-0 and had to throw the ball.

"I think the illusion of what happened the second half of the Houston game has everybody, or most people thinking that we've discussed this new mecca or utopia kind of deal," Raye said.

Link

Sounds like Raye agrees with Baldinger
  • 49erfourlife
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by B650:
That's fine, because we'll be down against Indianapolis as well.

OHHH s**tTTT.. LOL.. aint that the truth !!!
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
MM debunked the spread theory.

Folks are just confused because they saw the same offense that has sputtered with Hill guiding it, suddenly come to life with a QB that can spread the ball around guiding it. I laugh when I think of all the guys bashing Raye's play calling saying he is too conservative. We are talking about a guy that got Elvis Grbac 4100+ passing yards in KC in '99, with wideouts that many here probably never heard of,lol. He was just limited by what plays he could send in to Hill.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

that's the spirit!

I know this was a joke, but anybody who doesn't think there's a very strong chance of that happening is a HOMER.

Is Brian Baldinger really worth three pages and counting?

He was a marginal offensive lineman, known for having a tweaked out pinky finger. He knows Quarterbacks like Colonel Sanders knows nutrition.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Afrikan:

that's the spirit!

I know this was a joke, but anybody who doesn't think there's a very strong chance of that happening is a HOMER.

Oh no doubt!!!

On Peyton Mannings first drive, he'll score 14 points!!!!

It WAS a mirage. Texans played loose, and didn't even know who was at QB. It was nice to see Alex do good, but you can't just say Alex was amazing. He looked solid. He didn't look like "same ol alex." But, yea, if the game was closer and they knew who was the qb, he wouldn't have played like that. It IS very encouraging to see Alex look poised though. I really think he's going to do good this year. But, just don't get all hyped up about last game. Hard to judge him on that. It's like judging him on how bad he played when he was injured. Not an accurate assestment.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Overkill:
Raye, naturally, was not ready to say that the 49ers will go pass-crazy from now until January.

He logically pointed out that the success in the second half against Houston came when the 49ers were down 21-0 and had to throw the ball.

"I think the illusion of what happened the second half of the Houston game has everybody, or most people thinking that we've discussed this new mecca or utopia kind of deal," Raye said.

Link

Sounds like Raye agrees with Baldinger

Actually let's finish the quote from that article:

The 49ers still want to set the stage for Gore to win games for them, and that's not dumb and never was.

But how do you win with Gore if defenses are set to stop him? You have to throw it. You have to want to throw it.

Seems so obvious now, with Crabtree in the lineup, changing almost everything.

How does finishing the quote change anything? Its clear both Raye and Baldy are making the same point - that the offense we saw in the second half of the Texan game isn't the offense we should expect to see all the time.

This offense still runs through Gore, not the spread concept. If anything, finishing the quote strengthens Baldy's position, not weakens it.
Share 49ersWebzone