LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

NFL Network: More upside, Smith or Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Eisen asked the question and BOTH Woodson and Dukes said Smith.

I was actually surprised because Dukes ALWAYS bashed Smith when he had the chance in 06-07 and training camp 08. But I agree, i never liked VY. Great athlete, but overrated NFL player. Also Steve Young made a comment yesterday saying that Smith is a late bloomer.. So were alot of good QBs, ex. Steve Young, Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia

Dude we were bashing on Alex !
With Smith, I always wondered if he would find a way to get it all together. There were always things conspiring against him like bad coaching, revolving OCs, and injuries. But on the positive side, I never had any questions about his intelligence, his very good athleticism for a non-scrambling QB, and I've never heard anyone question his work ethic. Young, on the other hand, just doesn't have the head for the game. He had that horrible Wonderlic score (his first score was a 6) and he's easily rattled up to the point of potentially suicide one time. He also seems like a good guy, but I just really doubt that he's ever going to be much more than an outstanding runner pretending to be a QB.
Originally posted by teeohh:
will look forward to seeing who can bring their game back from the dead

I actually think our boy Smitty has the tougher challenege b.c we are in the thick of things as far as playoffs, if he plays well and can get the ball to our playmakers, then hes our guy! and we win the division!. Young can just play and hope to rack up 5-6 maybe more wins the next 10 games to prove him self, but its still a lost season for TENN.

for the sake of our draft position (carolina's) lets hope young pulls off wins
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Smith plays one good half and he gets compared to Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, and Kurt Warner.

Give me a f**king break.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Smith plays one good half and he gets compared to Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, and Kurt Warner.

Give me a f**king break.

Give yourself a break man, all they said was that he might be a late bloomer, no one said he was the next anyone.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Give me a f**king break.

Give yourself a break man, all they said was that he might be a late bloomer, no one said he was the next anyone.

Even if they did, NFL analyst will always compare a player to another. It's the nature of it
This is tricky. On paper, Young obviously has more upside. That said, I think Smith is MUCH more mentally prepared/ready/suited for the game than Vince Young. Didnt Young have emotional problems or an emotional breakdown last year?? Smith may not have the physical tools/upside that Young has but he has the tenacity and maturity to persevere through hard times.
Smith Hopefully he is a late bloomer, wow would that set this franchise way ahead rather than if we have to develop a QB.

Give me a f**king break.

You are right. He's the next Elway, Brady, and Manning. Feel better?
  • evil
  • Veteran

I was actually surprised because Dukes ALWAYS bashed Smith when he had the chance in 06-07 and training camp 08. But I agree, i never liked VY. Great athlete, but overrated NFL player. Also Steve Young made a comment yesterday saying that Smith is a late bloomer.. So were alot of good QBs, ex. Steve Young, Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia

The question is :

Quote:
More upside, Smith or Young?

So overrated or not, on paper and all homerism aside VY has MORE UPSIDE than Alex Smith. It's plain to see. Simple question simple answer.

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Smith. Vd is infecting locker room after locker room. teams have nothing to cover the outbreak

Nice

Give me a f**king break.

learn to read
Originally posted by KRS-1:

The question is :

Quote:

So overrated or not, on paper and all homerism aside VY has MORE UPSIDE than Alex Smith. It's plain to see. Simple question simple answer.

Bro, I have to respectfully disagree. Unless by upside you mean the ability to scramble, the guy was not a good passer in college, just a glorified running back option type QB, now if suddenly the option begins to work in the league, then maybe this discussion becomes relevant, until then there is no question who the better pro prospect is. This is not even taking into account the frailty of Young's psyche, which is questionable at best.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

The question is :

Quote:

Bro, I have to respectfully disagree. Unless by upside you mean the ability to scramble, the guy was not a good passer in college, just a glorified running back option type QB, now if suddenly the option begins to work in the league, then maybe this discussion becomes relevant, until then there is no question who the better pro prospect is. This is not even taking into account the frailty of Young's psyche, which is questionable at best.

His junior year his completion % was just 2 points less than Smith's. If he can be developed as a passer which is what my statement would be based on then yes he has more upside (The only way to maximize one's upside is by developing/grooming said player). They both were in system's in college that play to a QB's favor. They both came out highly ranked and both were potential #1 picks. VY's personal best completion % in the NFL in 4 points higher than Smith's (which came under Turner) and last I checked Smith has not been a great passing QB either.
Originally posted by E-49er:

Yeah both chose Smith but Dukes actually wanted to "wait and see" and when Rich made him pick he reluctantly picked Smith. I gues he thought Smith was the better of two bads in his opinion.

Also, on AFC playbook, Joe,Boldinger and Sterling all took the Colts which is no surprise but Boldinger gave a sorry excuse for picking the Colts saying throwing the ball is not the 49er offense and that running the ball up the middle for no gain is the 49er offense. Joe and Sterling also used film against the Rams to prove their points which I don't think helped them since the Rams are so bad. They should have used the other teams the colts played.

Hmmmmm 35-0(9ers over Rams) or 42-6(Colts over Rams)...

Must mean that we are gonna beat the Colts. Considering the Rams made HILL look like Peyton Manning. And the Rams got 6 points against the Colts, then I think that it's gonna be a blowout. Smith scores 8 times on the Colts.

Yes I'm just kidding but no way that any analyst worth their salt should even use the Rams in their analysis. Especially when we punked their sorry @$$3$.

I only hope that we are at least competitive with them. Seeing what they did early this season against the Fins in such a lopsided game that was favoring their opponents that's about all we can realistically hope for. A win would be miraculous but certainly appreciated.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone