LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Crabtree and Jason Hill... 4 stickiest hands on the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've only seen Crabtree drop two passes that I remember in 2 years of watching him play. I watched every home gave live and all but 2 away games live or on TV.

With less than 5 seconds against Oklahoma State in 2007, Crabtree dropped the gamewinning touchdown on 4th down. He already had 230+ yards and 3 TDs. Later that season a pass bounced off his hands against Mizzou and got intercepted.

Those were both in his FRESHMAN year.

Those are the ONLY passes I can remember in 2 years, now I'm sure there were a few more. But that is saying something. He is a great passcatcher.

I find it hard to believe that Hill is even close.
[ Edited by cestmoi on Oct 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM ]
hill looked like he had some hands in the limited opps that he had but, when has he showed the speed that eveybody keeps talking about? he ran good at the combine but never showcased it in the pros. once again i know he hasnt seen the field a lot but when he did i didn't see him display the speed that so many are claiming he has.

no need to throw rocks at me im just saying
Originally posted by cubanb:
To say Jason Hill's hands are close to crabtree is crazy. If he had any sort of hands, he would have caught that 4th and short pass when Nolan was around and he wouldn't have been perpetually sent to the bench.

I wouldn't compare him to Crabs but catching 30 of 40 passes last year tells you he's got some hands
Originally posted by cestmoi:
I've only seen Crabtree drop two passes that I remember in 2 years of watching him play. I watched every home gave live and all but 2 away games live or on TV.

With less than 5 seconds against Oklahoma State in 2007, Crabtree dropped the gamewinning touchdown on 4th down. He already had 230+ yards and 3 TDs. Later that season a pass bounced off his hands against Mizzou and got intercepted.

Those were both in his FRESHMAN year.

Those are the ONLY passes I can remember in 2 years, now I'm sure there were a few more. But that is saying something. He is a great passcatcher.

I find it hard to believe that Hill is even close.

Crabs is an excellent pass catcher but we shouldn't dog Hill out,look at his stats in limited play last year

Jerry Rice dropped several passes his rookie year but nobody compares to him.
I'd like to know exactly why Jason Hill isn't playing. Has Singletary ever come out and say?
[ Edited by YourHuckleberry on Oct 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM ]
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I'd like to know exactly why Jason Hill isn't playing. Has Singletary ever come out and say?

Both Hill and Jones must have pissed somebody off......Sing, Raye, Sully? It doesn't make sense to have them in civies on gameday, while a declining Bruce takes up valuable game experience. And while Hill hasn't shown that blazing combine speed, they're both faster than any other receiver we have playing, with the exception of Crabs, and they both run good routes and have good hands. It's a total mystery why they're not suited up and playing.
Unless they killed their mothers and ate their dogs, you put the best players on the field!
Originally posted by zozell:
I see alot of similarities with the way Crabtree catches and attacks the ball, and the way Jason Hill catches the ball. In his extended play towards the end of last year, particularly in the second half of the St Louis game, He was making all kinds of impressive grabs. Jason Hill rarely drops anything, and he seems to go up, and snatch the ball out of the air, similarly to how Crabtree was playing in Houston.

I don't know why he has fallen out of favor with the Coaches. I think he should be playing more, along with Brandon Jones. That's a whole other thread in itself.

I know it's hard not to include a future HOFer and veteran in Bruce, as having the best hands on the team, but IMO Crabtree's and Hill's catching styles are similar, to me at least. I would go as far as to say that I personally think they have the best hands on the squad.

Thoughts?

Bruce needs to play a lot less. He made one catch in week 1 that helped the team and that's about it. I would rather see what Jones and Hill could contribute. We've seen what Bruce can do, and at this point it's not much.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I see alot of similarities with the way Crabtree catches and attacks the ball, and the way Jason Hill catches the ball. In his extended play towards the end of last year, particularly in the second half of the St Louis game, He was making all kinds of impressive grabs. Jason Hill rarely drops anything, and he seems to go up, and snatch the ball out of the air, similarly to how Crabtree was playing in Houston.

I don't know why he has fallen out of favor with the Coaches. I think he should be playing more, along with Brandon Jones. That's a whole other thread in itself.

I know it's hard not to include a future HOFer and veteran in Bruce, as having the best hands on the team, but IMO Crabtree's and Hill's catching styles are similar, to me at least. I would go as far as to say that I personally think they have the best hands on the squad.

Thoughts?

Bruce needs to play a lot less. He made one catch in week 1 that helped the team and that's about it. I would rather see what Jones and Hill could contribute. We've seen what Bruce can do, and at this point it's not much.

To be fair though, none of our WRs have impressed with Shaun Hill in there. Alex Smith might make Bruce a little better. If not, he's gotta go.
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
But jason hill sucks

Out of the 40 passes thrown his way last year he caught 30 of them

I think sing has shown that if he sees talent, he puts it onto the field. I dont base all my judgement off of 30 receptions at the end of a failed season.
Originally posted by cestmoi:
nah ...

X2

Originally posted by B650:

Thoughts?

To be fair though, none of our WRs have impressed with Shaun Hill in there. Alex Smith might make Bruce a little better. If not, he's gotta go.

True. Let's see how Bruce performs with Smith in there..if he keeps playing like s**t Sing better bench him. He always says he wants the players that give us the best chance to win, and Bruce hasn't proved that he gives us the best chance to win so far
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by B650:

Thoughts?

True. Let's see how Bruce performs with Smith in there..if he keeps playing like s**t Sing better bench him. He always says he wants the players that give us the best chance to win, and Bruce hasn't proved that he gives us the best chance to win so far

OK.. We can give Bruce one more week, this week, to discover the fountain of youth. If he can't then he is just taking up space and PT from one of the other guys (Jones, Hill) who could at least stretch the field vertically.

Once the 49ers drafted Crabtree, I was hoping he would have opted to retire. But instead, he decided to come back for one more paycheck. Can't blame the guy for that. Once he leaves the NFL, that's it, you can't make that kind of money on the street.
Originally posted by Super5:
But jason hill sucks

Out of the 40 passes thrown his way last year he caught 30 of them

I think sing has shown that if he sees talent, he puts it onto the field. I dont base all my judgement off of 30 receptions at the end of a failed season.

He's shown that he cut a good KR / PR to keep a bunch of nobodies. He's shown that he keeps a Guard on the field game after game who can't block at the NFL level. Singletary has made plenty of personnel decisions that were wrong. You have to be kidding me. He's no god. He's mistake prone on personnel decisions. Where he is good is motivating people and dropping his pants at halftime. Singletary is ALL HYPE AND NO RESULTS SO FAR. But some people buy it so I guess it works for him.
Share 49ersWebzone