LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

New qb same offense...I don't get Jimmy raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The word Raye and offensive genius won't ever be used together and I'm no means implying that he hasn't made some bad calls but I'm willing to give him some benefit of the doubt as what he was working wouldn't be consider stellar.

I mean you had a QB that can't pass, a line that can't block for him, and because of that we have no running game since that's the only thing that a defense has to stop. So exactly what plays do you call? I doubt he said "Hey Rachel on this pass play I just want you to completely beat by your man" or "Shaun I know I have 3 WR but they are just decoys so just dump it off to the RB for a 3 yard gain"

So since we have a QB that has an NFL arm and better at avoiding pressure I'm willing to give him a clean slate and see what he does with Smith in there. I mean he did call the plays that got Smith his 200 yards and 3 TDs so I don't think he's incapable of calling for the forward pass.
[ Edited by Jikkle49 on Oct 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Method:
He's BS'ing to not give anything away, IMO...

Hopefully.

This is what i'm hoping for as well.

-9fA

I love some sweet baby raye's BBQ sauce!
  • mando1988
  • Info N/A
Where are these Jimmy raye fans coming from??? The guy has done nothing useful for the offense...we only won the three games because they were agant the lame ass NFC west...and if it wasent for his stupid play calling we could have put the Vikings..
I can almost guarantee he's going to come out Sunday and try and run the ball up the middle and after 3 and out the first 6 or 7 drives and the colts are up 21 he's gonna decide it's time to pass....I'm praying that I'm wrong about this
  • Mex49
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by mando1988:
So it appears as if the niners are going to keep the same approach on offense...so much for spreading it out!!! How long will it take until they figure out that the smash mouth running game isint working for them!

Supposedly, the offense we ran in the 2nd half was no different. Same offense, just different formations that weren't run very often with Hill.

isn't that saying, the first guy was a hack and couldn't get it done?
Whenever I play poker, the first thing I do is show everyone at the table the cards I have been dealt. It helps to set expectations and that way I won't p*** anyone off if I win.
We'll see on Sunday. I wouldn't expect Raye to reveal his game plan to the reporters 3 days before the game.

That would be kinda stupid, don't you think?
  • hps49
  • Veteran
he's keeping it on the Dl.. we're gonna attack indy.. watch.. and we're gonna win!
Don't worry. I'm sure we will be down so quick that there will be no choice to spread the ball around.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Those fans expecting a more wide open attack against Indianapolis, might be disappointed. When Jimmy Raye stepped to the microphone today, I asked him if his offense would change with Smith under center. "None," was Raye's response. Tim Kawakami followed with, "Are you serious? Do you mean that quarterbacks of differing talents don't change the offense at all?" Raye: "No."

LOL. Rachal still starting. We're going to run the same offense.

Insanity: Doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Did it look like the same offense in the 2nd half against the Texans? No. Was it the same offense? Apparently, yes, at least until the last drive, according to MM's review of the game. Put the two together and you have doing the same thing but getting a different result because of the change in QB. I think what Raye is saying is that if he plays well and makes good decisions, Smith can do some things in this offense that Hill couldn't do. We saw it on Sunday and it was such a contrast that many thought they changed the offense at halftime when apparently they didn't.

Besides, all the same people who are banging on Raye in this thread would be calling him an idiot if he came out and said they were changing the offense because then the Colts would have a better chance to prepare for it.

For those of you who are upset at his comments: What would you want him to say that would not put the 49ers at a disadvantage on Sunday?

The 49ers used two tight ends on first down far more frequently once Smith took over after halftime. Smith averaged 12.1 yards per pass attempt with two touchdowns on seven plays featuring one back and two tight ends. Hill averaged 2.7 yards per attempt on three passes from this group.

The matchup against the Texans marked the second consecutive game the 49ers trailed by at least 20 points at halftime. With Hill at quarterback against the Falcons, the 49ers used one back with one tight end more than 60 percent of the time in the second half. With Smith at quarterback against Houston, the 49ers used that group only 31 percent of the time in the second half.

Smith was most effective in the second half using two tight ends. Sometimes the tight ends lined up as wide receivers. The 49ers even lined up fullback Moran Norris wide to the right on the play featuring Smith's first touchdown pass, a 29-yarder to Vernon Davis. The team used two backs, two tight ends and only one wide receiver -- Josh Morgan -- on that play and the next two they ran.

Overall, I think the 49ers were less predictable from a personnel standpoint once Smith entered the game, almost as though offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye had more confidence in Smith than he had in Hill. Whatever the confidence level was starting out -- note that the 49ers actually opened the game with three consecutive three-receiver plays for Hill -- Raye's confidence in Smith surely grew as the 49ers enjoyed success.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/7867/sizing-up-49ers-offense-with-smith-hill

You (or Sando anyway) are making an assumption that the personnel groups cited in his blog would not have been used in the same way if Hill had stayed in as part of the attempt to get back into the game. We don't know what Raye would have called but it is likely he would have had to be "more aggressive" given the 21-0 score. The fact Smith did better out of those sets speaks more to the point of the offense looking different because of Smith playing well and being able to get the ball down the field.

According to MM, before the last drive, the 49ers formations were not substantially different under Smith than they were under Hill. In fact, Hill had more plays with 3 WRs, 1 RB and 1 TE than Smith did.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/player-review-with-a-little-bit-of-myth-busting.html

According to MM,
Bottom line is Smith now has playmakers. And he can make the best out of the play makers we have and they bring the best out in him. No more Johnny Morton, Lloyd, Fleck, DJack, etc etc and all the other losers we've fielded and expected him to put up pro bowl numbers.

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Bottom line is Smith now has playmakers. And he can make the best out of the play makers we have and they bring the best out in him. No more Johnny Morton, Lloyd, Fleck, DJack, etc etc and all the other losers we've fielded and expected him to put up pro bowl numbers.

Thinking of those players makes me wanna throw up.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Don't forget Gilmore, Sully's dream WR
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by mando1988:
So it appears as if the niners are going to keep the same approach on offense...so much for spreading it out!!! How long will it take until they figure out that the smash mouth running game isint working for them!

It just looked like a different offense because Smith was able to get the ball to the WR's
If that's so, why wasn't Hill benched a long time ago?

oh boy....because hill showed he could win games and thats what mattered. now, with the run game stagnant, hill's weaknesses are being exploited and hes no longer winning games.

Originally posted by cestmoi:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Don't forget Gilmore, Sully's dream WR

And that guy from San Diego..cant remember his name
I remember reading (in one of Matt M;s article) the jimmy raye offense relied on power running and passes down the field.

Hill couldnt pass down the field and Alex can, maybe Rayes playbook opened up because we have a qb that can complete throws.

We ran alot of short patterns with Hill because of his inability to get the ball downfield. With 8 guys in the box, thats a lot of humanity to sort through when attempting short passes (crossing routes, routes across middle)
Share 49ersWebzone