LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

New qb same offense...I don't get Jimmy raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mando1988:
So it appears as if the niners are going to keep the same approach on offense...so much for spreading it out!!! How long will it take until they figure out that the smash mouth running game isint working for them!

Did you read the WHOLE article? Especially the parts where he says that Smith operated out of SAME formations that Hill did? That kind of tells you that the difference maker was the guy taking snaps, not necessarily the plays being called.

He goes on to say:

Quote:
We’re not going to be stubborn and try to jam a square peg into a round hole. That (spread/shot-gun formation) would be something we would mix in because of the people that we have. We would mix that. It wouldn’t only be a third-down part of what we do. It could be a part of what we do early on as we see the opponent that we’re playing as it fits the plan that we’re using

Linkage

There's some serious cherry picking of the facts going on in regards to the offense. And I know the 'Zone overall isn't all that high on Raye (I'm critical of him myself), but what the hell is he supposed to say? Should he have laid out the plan for next week just to make you all feel better? I'm sure Sing/Raye are well aware of what's working on offense and more importantly what is NOT working.

Next week may not be a complete 180 on offense because we still have many issues (namely with the O-Line), but you can't seriously look back at last week and say they aren't taking steps to change it.
  • mando1988
  • Info N/A
I just hope that come Sunday we don't try an run the ball up the middle until were down by 21 points and then decide to start passing and spreading it out...
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Originally posted by backontop:
So it appears as if the niners are going to keep the same approach on offense...so much for spreading it out!!! How long will it take until they figure out that the smash mouth running game isint working for them!

It just looked like a different offense because Smith was able to get the ball to the WR's
If that's so, why wasn't Hill benched a long time ago?

oh boy....because hill showed he could win games and thats what mattered. now, with the run game stagnant, hill's weaknesses are being exploited and hes no longer winning games.
I have nothing against Hill or Smith, my problem is that Raye claims that he doesn't adjust the offense for the two different types of Q.B.'s. This falls into the same type of stupid claim that we will run the ball 60 percent of the time. Who in the world do they expect to believe this happy horse sh*t?
[ Edited by stevenking57 on Oct 29, 2009 at 2:16 PM ]

It just looked like a different offense because Smith was able to get the ball to the WR's

co-signed. MM pointed out that there wasn't a huge difference, sure there was differences here and there, but we haven't seen everything the Raye offense can do on some of these plays because when your QB can't get the ball down the field you don't have an idea if it works or not. But yeah, Smith was running the same offense pretty much.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

If that's so, why wasn't Hill benched a long time ago?

oh boy....because hill showed he could win games and thats what mattered. now, with the run game stagnant, hill's weaknesses are being exploited and hes no longer winning games.
I have nothing against Hill or Smith, my problem is that Raye claims that he doesn't adjust the offense for the two different types of Q.B.'s It falls into the same type of stupid claim that we will run the ball 60 percent of the time. Who in the world do they expect to believe this happy horse sh*t?

How bout we just blaze a fat one for now, and just wait and see what happens on Sunday?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Method:
He's BS'ing to not give anything away, IMO...

Hopefully.

He's not that smart. This old goat says exactly what he does.
First half in Houston:
Same offense, same QB, same results

Second half in Houston:
Same offense, different QB, different results

What does that mean? It means Hill sucks.

• TX9R
  • Veteran
What do you expect, that we're going to change the entire offense mid-season? It's obvious they knew Hill's limitations and taylored the playcalling around them. MS is even on record several times saying they would add elements as the season wore on and they saw what Hill was more comfortable doing. Now that a more physically gifted QB is there I assume they will do the same with him. You don't change a whole offense, you change the plays called out of that offense, which is what we saw in the Houston game after halftime.
Maybe some of the playcalls will look different because instead of Hill's decision to hit the short or intermediate WR, Smith might be more inclined to hit the intermeidate or deep WR. Maybe?
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Those fans expecting a more wide open attack against Indianapolis, might be disappointed. When Jimmy Raye stepped to the microphone today, I asked him if his offense would change with Smith under center. "None," was Raye's response. Tim Kawakami followed with, "Are you serious? Do you mean that quarterbacks of differing talents don't change the offense at all?" Raye: "No."

LOL. Rachal still starting. We're going to run the same offense.

Insanity: Doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Did it look like the same offense in the 2nd half against the Texans? No. Was it the same offense? Apparently, yes, at least until the last drive, according to MM's review of the game. Put the two together and you have doing the same thing but getting a different result because of the change in QB. I think what Raye is saying is that if he plays well and makes good decisions, Smith can do some things in this offense that Hill couldn't do. We saw it on Sunday and it was such a contrast that many thought they changed the offense at halftime when apparently they didn't.

Besides, all the same people who are banging on Raye in this thread would be calling him an idiot if he came out and said they were changing the offense because then the Colts would have a better chance to prepare for it.

For those of you who are upset at his comments: What would you want him to say that would not put the 49ers at a disadvantage on Sunday?

• mando1988
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by susweel:

Hopefully.

He's not that smart. This old goat says exactly what he does.

I'm wondering if it's even going to matter. Rachal is starting at RG, Snyder is starting at RT, and we're playing against some fairly good pass rushers.

I'm just hoping we can get out of Indy without Rachal letting someone go all Rocky Bernard on Smith. Or Snyder letting Mathis or Freeney run right around him causing sacks/fumbles/hurries/INTs.

Back to the point of this thread. I think Raye and Sing know what's at stake here. We might not see the WIDE OPEN passing attack we all want to see, but Smith is going to take his shots down the field. That alone might be enough to open things up for Gore. If the offense can keep the Colts D honest, then we'll have some success moving the ball.

And then you have to ask yourself, why is Jones gonna be active this week? If nothing is going to change, then why bother with him. He'd be the 4th or 5th WR on the depth chart, behind Crabs, Morgan, Bruce, and MAYBE Battle. We haven't used 4 REAL WRs on offense all season, it's been VD or Walker PLAYING WR when we've gone 4 wide.
I think will see a different offense this week, but we'll have to wait and see for sure.
The biggest change for me (as a spectator), will be the excitement of knowing with every passing play can be a potential TD, anywhere on the field!

I think Raye is saying that the play book won't change.

But he also seems to be saying that they will use more shotgun/spread type plays from it more FREQUENTLY. At least I hope that is what he is saying.

How disheartening that would be to see two runs up the middle, a third n' long and a punt to start the game.

Hopefully.

This is what i'm hoping for as well.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone