There are 248 users in the forums

What would you want more

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What would you want more

• JC49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by susweel:
What would you rather have this season. A playoff appearance with us barely sneaking in and probably get bounced in the first game or Alex Smith emerging as the franchise QB that we drafted him to be. Its possible that he plays well and we still dont get in.

I personally would take Alex being the franchise QB because that bodes well for our long term success.

Would I want individual success over team success? The current result don't say very much about the logic of 49er fans who want Alex to succeed but the team to struggle. Honestly, I don't see how that can happen. If Alex succeeds the team should succeed. If he falters, then the team must still find a way to succeed.

Yeah, the question is flawed.
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Those two kind of sound like one and the same. If Alex is a franchise QB, then he should at least be able to get our offensive on track enough for us to make the playoffs. I think we already have a playoff caliber defense.

I think our lack of pass rush is really starting become more weakness now that teams have more film on our blitzes and coverage schemes. We really can't surprise anybody anymore.

And I agree, we definitely need an upgrade there. But be that as it may, we're still statistically a top ten defense as of right now.

actually we are #14 statistically as of right now..

Sorry, I misread. That should be we are the 11th ranked defense. ESPN has us ranked 10th in total yards allowed, but 11th in points allowed. The latter being the more important of the two, so I'll go with that:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPoints/position/defense

And just in case anyone was wondering, we're 16th against the pass and 4th against the run.

strange that the NFL has us ranked differently, but ill go with them over the 3rd party sports media..
Those two kind of sound like one and the same. If Alex is a franchise QB, then he should at least be able to get our offensive on track enough for us to make the playoffs. I think we already have a playoff caliber defense.

I think our lack of pass rush is really starting become more weakness now that teams have more film on our blitzes and coverage schemes. We really can't surprise anybody anymore.

And I agree, we definitely need an upgrade there. But be that as it may, we're still statistically a top ten defense as of right now.

actually we are #14 statistically as of right now..

Sorry, I misread. That should be we are the 11th ranked defense. ESPN has us ranked 10th in total yards allowed, but 11th in points allowed. The latter being the more important of the two, so I'll go with that:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPoints/position/defense

And just in case anyone was wondering, we're 16th against the pass and 4th against the run.

strange that the NFL has us ranked differently, but ill go with them over the 3rd party sports media..

You're right. They have us ranked 14th in yards allowed per game, but like ESPN have us ranked 11th in total points allowed.

Originally posted by JC49:
What would you rather have this season. A playoff appearance with us barely sneaking in and probably get bounced in the first game or Alex Smith emerging as the franchise QB that we drafted him to be. Its possible that he plays well and we still dont get in.

I personally would take Alex being the franchise QB because that bodes well for our long term success.

Would I want individual success over team success? The current result don't say very much about the logic of 49er fans who want Alex to succeed but the team to struggle. Honestly, I don't see how that can happen. If Alex succeeds the team should succeed. If he falters, then the team must still find a way to succeed.

The answers do suggest that there are far more Alex fans than 49er fans.
I Think the action of Alex becoming a franchise qb would result in us becoming a playoff team.
One and done in the playoffs does nothing for us long term.

Alex becoming a franchise QB solves a lot of problems...

-9fA
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I said both, but if I had to choose I'd pick Alex becoming a franchise Qb.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
One and done in the playoffs does nothing for us long term.

Alex becoming a franchise QB solves a lot of problems...

-9fA

Completely agree. If Alex becomes a franchise QB then we will be winning NFC WEST titles & many playoff appearances.
Originally posted by JC49:

Thats what I thought... the two go hand in hand... If we make the playoffs, it will be because AS is doing well... If we don't, it will be because he is stinking it up... I would rather make the playoffs if I had to choose one over the other.

Share 49ersWebzone