What would you want more

Originally posted by luv49rs:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Alex becoming the franchise Qb and us trading him for Tom Brady straight up

stop it valrod

NEVER

do you have his number manscaped on your body somewhere?

yes would you like to see
It's nice to see from the poll results that most Zoners have forward thinking!
hand and hand brother, hand and hand.
I wanna see us make the playoffs while Alex becomes an accurate passer in our Dangerous offense..So in other words Both
  • DJD
  • Veteran
They do seem to go hand in hand, along with decent OL play. If the line holds and smith show's he the franchise guy, the rest of the team is pretty well there already and the playoffs will happen. If they miss the playoffs it will be because of the QB/OL performance.

But if some how some way it was one or the other. I'd take a franchise QB over a 1 and done playoff run any day of the week.
Originally posted by baltien:
Those two kind of sound like one and the same. If Alex is a franchise QB, then he should at least be able to get our offensive on track enough for us to make the playoffs. I think we already have a playoff caliber defense.
Originally posted by susweel:
Those two kind of sound like one and the same. If Alex is a franchise QB, then he should at least be able to get our offensive on track enough for us to make the playoffs. I think we already have a playoff caliber defense.

I think our lack of pass rush is really starting become more weakness now that teams have more film on our blitzes and coverage schemes. We really can't surprise anybody anymore.

And I agree, we definitely need an upgrade there. But be that as it may, we're still statistically a top ten defense as of right now.

actually we are #14 statistically as of right now..
I want Alex to go off and score 3 to 4 TD every game the rest of the season and 3000 yards !

I think our lack of pass rush is really starting become more weakness now that teams have more film on our blitzes and coverage schemes. We really can't surprise anybody anymore.

Starting? It's been a weakness for the last 3/4 seasons.
Originally posted by MaliCali:

And I agree, we definitely need an upgrade there. But be that as it may, we're still statistically a top ten defense as of right now.

actually we are #14 statistically as of right now..

Sorry, I misread. That should be we are the 11th ranked defense. ESPN has us ranked 10th in total yards allowed, but 11th in points allowed. The latter being the more important of the two, so I'll go with that:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPoints/position/defense

And just in case anyone was wondering, we're 16th against the pass and 4th against the run.
[ Edited by baltien on Oct 29, 2009 at 1:11 PM ]
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Alex becoming the franchise Qb and us trading him for Tom Brady straight up

stop it valrod

NEVER

do you have his number manscaped on your body somewhere?

yes would you like to see

this is useless without pics
What would you rather have this season. A playoff appearance with us barely sneaking in and probably get bounced in the first game or Alex Smith emerging as the franchise QB that we drafted him to be. Its possible that he plays well and we still dont get in.

I personally would take Alex being the franchise QB because that bodes well for our long term success.

Would I want individual success over team success? The current result don't say very much about the logic of 49er fans who want Alex to succeed but the team to struggle. Honestly, I don't see how that can happen. If Alex succeeds the team should succeed. If he falters, then the team must still find a way to succeed.
[ Edited by ttime1 on Oct 29, 2009 at 1:17 PM ]
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by battletowin:
alex becoming franchise qb.
  • JC49
  • Veteran
It's kind of sad that we've gotten so used to losing and having lousy QB play that the results show we'd take Alex playing well over going to the playoffs. Besides they are hardly mutually exclusive. If Alex plays well we'll have a crack at making the playoffs. Let's want both. They go hand in hand. While he could play well and we still might miss the playoffs, given the hole we've dug for ourselves, it's a certainty we won't make the playoffs if he doesn't play well. I hope he plays well so we're not spending another draft pick on a quarterback come April.

It is nice to see all the support Smith is getting now but it is also surprising given how much vitriol we've seen directed at him. I suspect it's a case of two good quarters and everybody is high on him. Let's hope people are stubborn in their support. It isn't going to be easy. Alex isn't the problem. You have to have consistent offensive line play before anything else works consistently. Alex made them look better for a half. His releases were quicker. He moved better in the pocket and out. He made fewer poor throws. It will be great if he can continue to help them get the job done.
I'd much rather have Alex Smith become a good franchise QB than a marginal playoff appearance.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home