There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How much longer does Gore have left?

• Paul
  • Veteran
Not to be a downer, but his injury this season along with seeing some of the other 49ers backs this season...it just had me wondering how much longer will Gore be the feature back for this team? There's no doubt he will continue to be a force this season (huge game vs the Seahawks as proof of that), but he is in his fifth season and next year will be his sixth...which usually starts the decline of some of the top backs (I know he will be only 27 still).

Just thinking aloud here
i say about 3 years
As a premiere RB in the league? Maybe 3 or 4 if we're lucky. He could really use a solid #2 to split the load with.

Granted all this is based on having an O-line that can actually block for him.
Maybe 3? I feel bad that he's wasted so much of youth on such bad niner teams, and hasn't even sniffed the playoffs yet.
i feel bad b.c i want a gore jersey, but ill get what? a realistic 3 maybe 4 years
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
As a premiere RB in the league? Maybe 3 or 4 if we're lucky. He could really use a solid #2 to split the load with.

Granted all this is based on having an O-line that can actually block for him.

That is why I think we should target a RB early. If Gore continues to be the only workhorse we're not going to get many more good years out of him. Get someone else to keep him fresh. Until Coffee proves otherwise I'm on the Spiller bandwagon.
  • 49Wild
  • Info N/A
Gore may have at best 1 or 2 years left if we dont get the passing game going. Dont forget we have a back with 2 bad knees, so I agree with the early post. We need to target a back that can be as physical as the coach wants to be on offense. That means we need a back that comes in at least 230 pounds. 205 pound backs like coffee will not work in this offense very long.
Every good team in the NFL uses more than 1 RB. Some use 3. It makes no sense that we continue to use just one back in all situations.
3-5 years left would be my guess.

3 years if he continues to take the bulk of the load. 5 years if Coffee steps up and becomes a good change of pace.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
right, I constantly forget about his knees... I don't think Coffee is an answer as far as replacing Gore or even splitting the carries. He's just meh to me.

Why does everyone keep mentioning Spiller, what do people think of OU's Chris Brown? He had a solid season last year, and has been decent this year too,
I didnt know he was on his deathbed...
You really see how much Frank does on his own when another back tries to run behind this terrible line. I'd say he's on borrowed time right now given the acl surgeries he had already that make him susceptible to more injuries.
untill his first major injury, not this sprained ankle s**t
I'd say 2-3 years. I have his jersey too. I want to see him on a winner. I think if we get this passing game going than he has more like 4 years, but if we keep pounding him into the back of the OL and defenders continue to pile on then I doubt he has more than 3 years. We need to give him space to run first. Hopefully Alex can get the defenses to back off.
3-4 games