Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
bulls**t.

how do you explain the bad throws? fumbles at the snap?

How do you explain picking him number one over all.

who else were we supposed to pick

Most ridiculous argument I ever hear in the Alex debate. Every single position was a position of need. Does Ronnie Brown or Braylon Edwards ring a bell? How about Ware, Merriman or Rolle? shoot how about Benson? Hows about Roddy White? Jammal Brown?

who else were we supposed to pick?

Yeah, that's not using hindsight much.

Guess what genius, the people actually doing the drafting, don't have the benefit of hindsight. They don't have a crystal ball, which apparently you do.

nope, no crystal ball....but I am right more often then I am wrong. And I make my predictions in March every year....so sorry Partner....no hindsight here.

I would like to see these "predictions" you make every year. Please post the links to the threads thank you

yeah right...I am going to post links for you. Its just common sense really....here is what I was mainly concerned about back in March of 2005.

Alex Smith
Small School = RED FLAG
Gimmick Offense = RED FLAG
Took time to even become starter at UTAH = RED FLAG

Aaron Rodgers
I kind of liked him but not really...he had a really bad final bowl game too

49ers + ANY QB at that time
Offensive Line, NOTHING Good = RED FLAG
Weapons, NONE = RED FLAG
Any coach on staff experienced developing QB's, None = RED FLAG

To you it was clear we needed to draft a QB at 1.1....to me it was clear that the last thing we should do is draft a QB at 1.1

LoL! You are ridiculous with the small school BS. Hold my hand while I take you to school...

Demarcus Ware - Troy State (not a big school)
Jery Rice - Mississippi Valley State (not a big school)
Terrell Owens - Tennesseee Chattanooga (not a big school)
Steve McNair - Alcorn State (not a big school)
Marvin Harrison - Syracuse (not a big school)
Brian Dawkins - Clemson (not a big school)
Dwight Clark - Clemson (not a big school)
Darren Sharper - William & Mary (not a big school)
Jason Taylor - Akron (not a big school)
Ben Roethlisberger - Miami(Ohio) (not a big school)
Greg Ellis - North Carolina (not a big school)
Randy Moss - Marshall (not a big school)
Donovan McNabb - Syracuse (not a big school)
LT - Texas Christian (not a big school)
Julius Peppers - North Carolina (not a big school)
Terrell Suggs - Arizona State (not a big school)
Phillip Rivers - North Carolina State (not a big school)
Steven Jackson - Oregon State (not a big school)
Logan Mankins - Fresno State (not a big school)
Steve Young - BYU (not a big school)
Mario Williams - North Carolina State (not a big school)
Deangelo Williams - Memphis (not a big school)
Greg Jennings - Western Michigan (not a big school)

I don't buy that argument either. You don't have to be from a big school to succeed. Lots of guys have done well in NFL history who are not from the big programs.
^^^ exactly SD. Your school has nothing to do with it. If you can play, you can play.

Michael Crabtree Texas Tech
Here's my 2 cents on this whole thing people label A Smith a Bust lets see whats gone wrong Season 1 in 2005 J Montana would have looked like a high school QB playing for the Niners that year... A Smith was thrown into like 1 poster said one of the worst Niner teams since the S Deberg era. Year 2 He goes from throwing 1 TD and 11 Int. to 16 TDs and 16 Int...With a higher QB rating than the following years Superbowl MVP Is that a Bust? Looks like a MAJOR Improvement and if the penalties didnt screw things up in 2006 I remember 2 or 3 LONG TDs getting called back cause of K Harris. 2007 A Smith does ok in his 1st 3 games Not great but not bad either...then he gets hurt comes back too early again the evetual SB Champs and gets banged around. Was he a Bust in 2007 because he was Injured? 2008 Was he a Bust while sitting on IR? All I see is he played in 2005 & 2006 and he improved leaps and bounds cause he was limited in 2007 and came back with a Still separated shoulder that ended up costing him the 2008 season.

I guess after watching Steve Young with his 1st year with the niners He shouldnt be in the Hall Of Fame he should have been labeled a bust cause Steve Young had some REAL trouble as a starter when he 1st came to the team...even in his Superbowl year S Young had a rough start to the seaon or do people not remember that?
bulls**t.

Most ridiculous argument I ever hear in the Alex debate. Every single position was a position of need. Does Ronnie Brown or Braylon Edwards ring a bell? How about Ware, Merriman or Rolle? shoot how about Benson? Hows about Roddy White? Jammal Brown?

Guess what genius, the people actually doing the drafting, don't have the benefit of hindsight. They don't have a crystal ball, which apparently you do.

nope, no crystal ball....but I am right more often then I am wrong. And I make my predictions in March every year....so sorry Partner....no hindsight here.

I would like to see these "predictions" you make every year. Please post the links to the threads thank you

yeah right...I am going to post links for you. Its just common sense really....here is what I was mainly concerned about back in March of 2005.

Alex Smith
Small School = RED FLAG

Aaron Rodgers

Weapons, NONE = RED FLAG

To you it was clear we needed to draft a QB at 1.1....to me it was clear that the last thing we should do is draft a QB at 1.1

yea it is not hard to "try" and make predictions after the fact. You stated you made predictions about this. So I would like to see the threads you made these predictions in. So please post the links. neither of us are in charge of drafting players for the 49er or any NFL team for that matter and to assume you are more knowledgeable than the ones responsible for that is ridiculous. If you were so good that you can spot super star talent from watching college games on nbc then you would have a job with an NFL team right now and not claiming to be some genius on an internet forum.
patience is a virtue!

let's just hope Steve Young is right -- i love that he is mainly the one to give us props on ESPN. he almost always pick us to win on gameday countdown!
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
i totally agree with Alex Smith getting the nod as the starting qb...but i find it truly hillarious that these Hill haters act like they knew for sure what alex had to bring to the table...truth is NOBODY knew that alex was going to play so well...he looked horrid in preseason...he still may stink it up NOBODY knows

He really didn't see a lot of action (injury keeping him out of a couple of those games) in pre-season. While he didn't stand out, I hardly thought he looked "horrid." I thought then that he was stepping up better in the pocket than I had seen him do before.
[ Edited by BHulman on Oct 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM ]
Originally posted by BHulman:
i totally agree with Alex Smith getting the nod as the starting qb...but i find it truly hillarious that these Hill haters act like they knew for sure what alex had to bring to the table...truth is NOBODY knew that alex was going to play so well...he looked horrid in preseason...he still may stink it up NOBODY knows

He really didn't see a lot of action (injury keeping him out of a couple of those games) in pre-season. While he didn't stand out, I hardly thought he looked "horrid." I thought then that he was stepping up better in the pocket than I had seen him do before.

I thought he looked better than Hill, not many agreed.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by BHulman:

I thought he looked better than Hill, not many agreed.

I thought he looked better than Hill as well. Then again I am a Smith supporter so the Hill swingers will just say I am drinking the "koolaid" They just want to be able to say that Hill "won" the QB competition if you want to call it that. But who is the starter now
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by 5rings:
bulls**t.

How about Rogers.I think he is doing pretty good

he was also in a different situation that what Smith went through. Put Rodgers in the same BS that Nolan did to Smith and you have the same outcome.

yeah............right.
Who wanted Trent Dilfer to start?
to be honest Hill looked pretty crappy in preseason also...my main gripe about Smith is the short pass to Gore...he missed one in Houston also (not to take away from the great performance)

bulls**t.

How about Rogers.I think he is doing pretty good

he was also in a different situation that what Smith went through. Put Rodgers in the same BS that Nolan did to Smith and you have the same outcome.

you might be right ,but we will never know that forsure.I still think he is a better QB than smith,I knew that when we past on him to draft Alex

kind of obvious put him in the crappiest O line ever with no one to throw to what do u thiunk the outcome will be
Originally posted by 9rFan84:
bulls**t.

Alex Smith
Small School = RED FLAG

Aaron Rodgers

Weapons, NONE = RED FLAG

LoL! You are ridiculous with the small school BS. Hold my hand while I take you to school...

Demarcus Ware - Troy State (not a big school)
Jery Rice - Mississippi Valley State (not a big school)
Terrell Owens - Tennesseee Chattanooga (not a big school)
Steve McNair - Alcorn State (not a big school)
Marvin Harrison - Syracuse (not a big school)
Brian Dawkins - Clemson (not a big school)
Dwight Clark - Clemson (not a big school)
Darren Sharper - William & Mary (not a big school)
Jason Taylor - Akron (not a big school)
Ben Roethlisberger - Miami(Ohio) (not a big school)
Greg Ellis - North Carolina (not a big school)
Randy Moss - Marshall (not a big school)
Donovan McNabb - Syracuse (not a big school)
LT - Texas Christian (not a big school)
Julius Peppers - North Carolina (not a big school)
Terrell Suggs - Arizona State (not a big school)
Phillip Rivers - North Carolina State (not a big school)
Steven Jackson - Oregon State (not a big school)
Logan Mankins - Fresno State (not a big school)
Steve Young - BYU (not a big school)
Mario Williams - North Carolina State (not a big school)
Deangelo Williams - Memphis (not a big school)
Greg Jennings - Western Michigan (not a big school)

you guys crack me up. Do you just read what you want to read? Red Flags are useful especially when accompanied by other Red Flags. Where did I post that no good NFL QB has ever come from a small school? Where? It was a factor...you do understand what a factor is don't ya? Now would you like to debate that the type of college program a prospect comes from should not be used as a scouting factor at all? Because I would love to debate that with you. Before you decide....please notice that for you to list a couple of dozen relevant names you had to span a couple of decades! So what is your point again.

But thanks for taking me to school....since graduating I have officially dropped 25 IQ points
[ Edited by danimal on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:51 PM ]
I will cherish the day there is no more Alex Smith debates (One way or another).
What would Alex Smith have to do this season for you guys to support him as our starter?

In my opinion, Alex does look much improved. I hope he can back it up this weekend vs. the Colts. I think he'll be fine this time around. Sure, there are areas where he needs to improve, but I believe that will come the more he plays. He looked pretty good for not having played in nearly 2 years!
[ Edited by PTulini on Oct 28, 2009 at 10:23 PM ]
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I wouldn't consider BCS schools "small schools" no matter how crappy they are lol, though Troy really needs to get the hell out of the Sunbelt (they r just too good to be stuck playing there).

I hate the current NFL, first round picks are just not given any time. I applauded the way Carson Palmer was handled, and that's really what we should have done too. All these guys are drafted high by awful teams, and it just kills their development so bad. Remember, Young didn't start for a few years after the 49ers traded for him, even go way back and read about how awful a QB Terry Bradshaw was really early on. It really does take time

I'm not trying to say guys like Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, ect were actually good players... but any young QB put on teams like the ones that normally aren't good, the results usually are not pretty. Im pulling for Alex
Share 49ersWebzone